Is googling a sin?

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I've done both and I've always felt bad after Googling a solution. Not because I felt I cheated but because the challenge is taken out of the game. The solution is usually something I could have worked out if I spent more time on it. And I get so much satisfaction when I've been stuck on a game for a long time then I work out the solution. For this reason I don't Google. I just play a different game until one day the solution to the other game hits me or I think of something new to try. Currently I've been replaying a text adventure from the 80s on an old computer. I've been playing for several weeks, stuck in the same spot. Every few days I think of something new to try, go back and try it out. Each time I get a little bit further. I find it a very rewarding way to play.

bbchain said:
...but with most situations I've never felt a lack of Fulfillment in googling how to do something I'm stuck on.
You obviously don't feel that way so you might as well carry on. I have games I've been playing (and enjoying) for years and still haven't finished. Some of them are skill based - Like Cobra Triangle. Other are puzzle based like The Castle or Tomb of Nozar (the one I'm working on now).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
YES. yes it is. You shall be forever damned to the deepest darkest pit of video game hell for your transgressions!
No, of course not. It's only your own enjoyment that's effected, so if using google doesn't bother you then who cares what anyone else thinks?

Nubrain

Sep 17, 2010
Like so many others I think it depends on the game and how many times you've tried it. if I'm stuck on something, have put it down and tried again and I still can't get it I'll generally look it up. also if I'm nearing then end of a game and I'm missing one or two things from a collectibles list I'll check a guide so generally it's best to put some effort in first

however the one thing I'd say it's okay to look up right away is real world knowledge that you have no way to access in the game, The persona school questions being a good example. for me I think back to playing where in the world is Carmen Sandaigo with my best friend and her brother and flicking through this big atlas and getting the encyclopedias from the hall book case. if we had access to google back then we would have used that instead.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I only google stuff when it comes to getting achievements like for finding items and I'm really stuck. If I google for an answer in a main quest it just feels like cheating. As long as you give it a good go first then it's ok to google but if you're just lazy (like my brother) then it's not so ok.

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
SirDerpy said:
Rozalia1 said:
Depends really. If you use it for puzzle games, or Visual novels than you kind of defeat the point of playing them in a way.

Otherwise its just a time saving exercise. I for example make sure to check if the game has any unmissables in it before I play to make sure I don't miss them.
Well, puzzle games, sure, but visual novels?

I'd have to disagree strongly on that. I don't think of point of visual novels is "die every other choice because you chose to give this side character a cupcake instead of a brownie". I mean, have you seen the Fate/Stay Night flowchart? The size is intimidating, to say the least. I'd rather not spend several hours of my life doing every single permutation of the choices only to figure out that my first choice happened to be incorrect for my particular route.

Even Katawa Shoujo, with its nine choices and leniency in routes (many sets of choices will lead to same route), got me killed twice before I stumbled upon a correct route. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but still. There's really no fun in getting killed over and over before you realize "Oh, I probably should have played aggressively in that chess match instead of passively, even though I had no way of knowing that was the correct answer."

OT: Other than visual novels, though, and deliberately abstruse games like the aforementioned Persona series, Googling for a solution shouldn't be your first instinct. It's fun to solve puzzles, unless they take you more than two hours, in which case it's less of a puzzle and more of a sadistic test of resolve.
With Visual Novels I feel the first playthrough should be blind, and whatever happens, happens. That is your "canon" for lack of a better term. After that, if you want to google every variation or get the perfect ending or whatever, go for it. Of course, I'm referring to games like Heavy Rain or TWD where there are no "wrong" decisions, just different outcomes. Can't say I've played the games you mentioned, but that does sound aggravating.

With any other game I'd say at least give it your best try before looking up answers. If something is too hard or unclear, you may google with a clear conscience. Personally, I have little respect for someone who follows a walkthrough from the get go and doesn't bother figuring anything out for themselves, not that I expect them to care what I think.

The exception would be online multiplayer games. If it's been out for a month or more, you can bet every aspect has been discussed and implemented by the veterans. You would actually be doing yourself (and your team, if applicable) a disservice by not doing any research, and just doing random stuff hoping to win.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Yes, you're like Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin combined.

Seriously though if it doesn't harm your enjoyment go for it. Do what you like with your game. I try to avoid it generally because it dose diminish my sense of accomplishment but I still do if I'm stuck. I'm pretty sure damn near everyone who has games and internet dose this on occasion.

Your only sinning if you cheat and then brag about something being too easy for you.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
It depends on a game.
For example I constantly watch walkthroughs for FF games, but not because I do not want to find everything on my own (because I want to), but because of random battles. If nothing was distracting me, or I at least knew that enemy is incoming (like, for example, in newer FF games) I would not have minded exploring.

Why couldn't there simply be something like grind zone in every area? World map is mostly without enemies, but once you enter such zone, you are swarmed by them.

But looking for walkthrough of metroidvania game is a bit too much.

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Well gamefaqs was started in 95 before the N64 was released so no worries. You could have looked stuff up then too.

But no. I use hints /walkthroughs etc all the time. Though only after exhausting everything I can think of. If it doesn't affect your enjoyment then why should it matter?

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
*reads topic title*

First thing I thought of...

OT: A lot of those earlier games were designed to force you to pay for strategy guides, or to occupy your time with only a handful, meaning they're often obtuse or have a lot of secrets you may need the internet for. There was a time where the one kid who had a Nintendo Power subscription was boss of the playground because they could teach everyone else these secrets. It's something that just happened in those times.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I usually spend around 30 minutes trying to figure something out and if i still can't do it then i will google it to not waste anymore of my time, because at that point instead of having fun with the game it's pissing me off. The last time i needed to google something was at the end of DA2 and it turns out that the game broke one me and i couldn't progress no matter what i did.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I'm using a guide to play Ocarina of Time.

I don't have all the time in the world to spend being aggravated by not having a clue what to do or where to go, and, while that whole explore every nook & cranny thing works for some people, it really doesn't for me.

This whole talk of gaming 'sins' or 'cardinal sins' is complete & utter nonsense.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
No.

Guide books and internet guides is nothing new.

I mean give it a good crack, but don't have too much shame about looking up help.