Is Hitting A Girl All That Bad?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I was beaten constantly by my dad and an ex fiance so it doesn't seem that odd to me now. It's very hard for me to accept it as wrong and that it's not my fault for doing something displeasing. I mean I'm the constant right?

My logic says that it's wrong to hit anyone of course but it's kind of hard to get my subconscious out of that learned behavior. These days I just tend to say sorry a lot.

MasTerHacK said:
I open the door for her, and then I will send her into the kitchen to make me a damn sandwich.
Why do men always ask for a sandwich, It's not very imaginative.

Stako

Apr 2, 2011
Hitting a girl for self defense isn't bad. Hitting a girl just for the hell of it is bad. Hitting a anyone if he plainly just annoys you is stupid, but acceptable.

Enough said.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
My rule is, if she hits me, I hit back. Women cry about equality, so.. Might as well give it to 'em. ;P

TailstheHedgehog

Jan 14, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
Hitting a girl is bad if you are a gentleman. Of course the idea of gentlemen and ladies isn't fashionable anymore because its inherently sexist and sexism has been a hot topic for quiet some time. If you really believe in the equality of the sexs then hitting a girl is no worse then hitting a boy.
Why does everyone think this!!?? Being a gentlemen is still very cool don't stop doing it! That doesn't mean be all soppy and act like the sun shines out of a woman's every orifice and to drop everything you're doing the second she walks in the room, but opening the door and allowing her to go first or offering to carry something heavy is still completely fine! If a girl has a whinge at you for doing something like that, she's a *****. You're just being polite and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure, we want to be treated as equals, but I'm equally sure some woman take this as an excuse to treat some men as lower.

Not saying woman aren't better than men. Cause we are.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
You should try and avoid hitting anyone at all costs, but everyone is justified if it is truly done in self-defence.

Besides, it is the gentlemanly thing to not strike a lady...yes, quite so *adjusts monocle*.

Skaven252

Apr 7, 2010
It depends whether we're talking about film or real life. In film the older gentleman conventions still seem to apply. TV Tropes has a bunch of entries on the subject, but basically the rules go:
- Male heroes may only engage male villains [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitledr2p2k8t]
- Male villains may also engage females, and this is used to accentuate their villainy [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickTheDog]
- Female heroes kick male ass
- However, if there is a female villain, only the female hero is allowed to engage her, leading to the Designated Girl Fight [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DesignatedGirlFight]
- Female villains kick also mainly kick male ass; if they engage a female, it is done to accentuate their villainy

Pretty much all action movies go by these rules. It's refreshing to see when they don't. Can't remember any examples, though (except maybe the old TV series Sledge Hammer).

Yanzo

Sep 12, 2010
Really I think it all depends on the situation. Since males tend to have more muscle mass in their body than females, it's socially frowned upon to hit a girl; yet if the people involved are relatively even in size, the fault falls upon whoever instigated the fight.

That said, if someone is hitting you and you can't make them stop by simply pushing them away (in the sense that a small woman tries to hit a large man, if the man punched her (repeatedly or not) then he would be in the wrong just because he'd probably break something of hers and the sexes are interchangable) then a simple discouraging punch to the body should be enough and if that doesn't work, repeat. It'd look something like an RPG fight but it saves on people getting beat to a pulp when they wanna give up.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
DarthScorpio11 said:
Twilight_guy said:
Hitting a girl is bad if you are a gentleman. Of course the idea of gentlemen and ladies isn't fashionable anymore because its inherently sexist and sexism has been a hot topic for quiet some time. If you really believe in the equality of the sexs then hitting a girl is no worse then hitting a boy.
So, if you're a short guy, and some bodybuilder woman corners you, starts beating you up. Then proceeds to attacking your family, you'll just standby and watch?
That's a pretty stupid question. He never said it was OK. He said it was "no worse then hitting a boy". If I saw a guy getting bashed I wouldn't sit by and watch, why would I do that if it was my family? Think before you speak...

OT: It seems generally that people think it should be only as bad as hitting a guy. But I think I'll have to disagree with this. Maybe I am sexist but I don't really see myself as one. The way I see it men and women aren't the same, I mean as far as rights and power etc. goes of course they should be equal, gender should have nothing to do with any of that it should all be about the individual. But you can't really deny that there are certain genetic differences between males and females. Although not always the case men naturally grow more muscle then women, I think it is unfair for men to use that to their advantage to bully women. Though that being said I would also find it unfair for men to use their size to bully smaller men also. So I guess that it isn't so much about them being women. If that makes sense.

Dott

Oct 27, 2009
If women want the same rights as men, something I generally support, they're going to have to live with the fact that they'll get the downsides as well.

You can't ask for a pastry, but demand that they make it with a recipe specifically made for you.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
as a general rule if a girl hits me I'll beat up her boyfriend instead of her. I'm a gentleman that way.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Women are equal to men.
We are both humans.

I have heard many women whine about, "not being treated as equal".
Until i stop hearing this comment from women, i will treat them AS EQUALS.

A woman hits me, i have the right to hit her back. A woman makes a sexual comment to me, i can make one back.

Equal.
Im not saying i hate women, or that im sexist ((My wife would have killed me a dozen times now if i was)).
And yes, i do hold the door open for women, because its the nice thing to do.
I will pay for our most of the bills, so she can go shopping for the things she likes, and i will give her back rubs when shes having a bad day. And i would never hit her, because shes my wife, whom i love.

But any woman other then my mother, grandmother, wife, wifes sister, or future daughter is on the same level with any jerk i run into at a bar. You hit me, i hit back. Equality at work.

So no, theres nothing wrong with it if they hit you first.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Hitting a girl is as bad as hitting a man. There is no difference.

As the poster above me said, we are all humans and actions will have consequences, a woman hitting me is no different from a man hitting me since the action is the same.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Capt. Crankypants said:
Everything about the modern world and all it's so-called 'equality', including the incredibly annoying radical feminists, makes me want to say "Yeah, if you're pushed to the brink, go for it". That said, if it ever came to it, I just KNOW that I personally wouldn't hit a girl.

Food for thought though blokes (and ladies too if you feel the irrepressible desire to contribute), and that is, for all of you who believe it's acceptable to hit a girl, what is the tipping point? Is it under the same circumstance that you would hit a man? Like if she threw a drink in your face, or spat on you? Where's the line, or, to put it another way, what's the least that you'd hit a girl for? Hurling incessant verbal abuse, or an actual physical act?

Discuss.
A physical attack. If someone throws a drink in my face, I'd do the same back. If the spat, I'd do the same. If someone tries to hit me, I'll hit them. Gender is irrelevant. If you go out starting fights, you shouldn't be surprised to find yourself in a fight.