Is Inquisition going to be Origins part 2?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
So Bioware tried and arguably failed with their quest to do a different style of story with the critical panning of Dragon Age 2. Now it looks like to me they're going to return to the "old story", tried and tested, of Dragon Age Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Mass Effect 1 and 3, from what I've heard.

In case you didn't know, Bioware stories commonly follow a simple structure:
1. Linear Introduction/Prologue (The Neverwinter Academy, The Endar Spire, Origin story, Eden Prime)
2. The game opens up a bit, plot points introduced (Neverwinter, Taris, Ostagar, The Citadel)
3. Open ended search for the macguffins aka the meat of the game (Words of Power, Star Maps, Building the warden army, search for Saren) often accompanied by a betrayal or cataclymic 2/3rds through.
4. The endgame (War in Neverwinter, Rakatan/Star Forge, Landsmeet/Redcliffe/Denerim, final planet/The Battle of the Citadel)

From what I've seen of the plot DA:Is main quest looks to be gaining allies for your inquisition to stop the hole in the fade and it will probably be in the same mould as those 4 games. Can't help but wish we would've got something a bit more dramatic. The epic personal quest of Baldur's Gate 2 or KOTOR2 for instance stand out as great example of games which have deviated from this point and tried to tell a more personal story. I get that Hawke's story was meant to be a bit of an experiment...but do we really have to get Origins story retold but as an inquisition and a tear in the fade instead of Darkspawn.

Hoping Bioware shake things up a little and divert from the plot that they've built most of their games on...

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn't hold your breath. Word of advice to all Dragon Age Origins fans: DO NOT PREORDER. Wait till you see gamer reviews to decide before you buy because rest assured that EA/Bioware will buy all the hype and glowing reviews they can from the gaming press.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I thought the people responsible for the story of Origins (among I don't know how many others by this stage) don't work there any more. Won't that make such a goal significantly harder to reach? The plot you've described sounds largely like a re-tread of Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3's story. The game has been described by BioWare as being "next-gen", but the trailer doesn't really show it off as being anything exceptional. The redesigns of returning characters' faces are probably going to go down about as well as the ones in Dragon Age 2 did. Still, early days.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
GoGoFrenzy said:
I wouldn't hold your breath. Word of advice to all Dragon Age Origins fans: DO NOT PREORDER. Wait till you see gamer reviews to decide before you buy because rest assured that EA/Bioware will buy all the hype and glowing reviews they can from the gaming press.
I see you didn't read my OP. I think it being a retread of Origins with "Inquisitors" instead of "Grey Wardens" and "Demons" instead of "Darkspawn" would be bad.