Is it appropriate to wear a Fez in Turkey?

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Now I'm going on holiday in antalya in a couple of weeks, and at some point there is going to costume party, i would think that it's going to be appropriate to wear that in there, but what about elsewhere? Will the locals get offended, is it still against the law? I would love to know so i don't come off as a douche-bag tourist, and i want to wear a Fez, because Fezzes are cool.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Wear the fez. If anyone asks you what is on your head, inform them that it is a fez, that you wear fezzes now, and that fezzes are cool.

They might take it off of you, throw it into the air and shoot it with a laser pistol, though, so be warned.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
Now I'm going on holiday in antalya in a couple of weeks, and at some point there is going to costume party, i would think that it's going to be appropriate to wear that in there, but what about elsewhere? Will the locals get offended, is it still against the law? I would love to know so i don't come off as a douche-bag tourist, and i want to wear a Fez, because Fezzes are cool.
Wearing the Fez is officially still illegal but you are unlikely to be arrested for it. However you will be the guy who goes dressed in Turban to the Indian to get a curry. Also wearing a Fez means you might get attacked by the whirling dervish.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Why the hell would it be against the law to wear a Fez? Wear the damn Fez!
If you're still a little bit cautious then wear a bow tie and a brown suit with it as well and just say you're cosplaying as The Doctor.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
No, its never appropriate to wear a fez, the only exception to this rule is if you're in a tiny car and you work of a certain charity organization. I'm sorry, but wearing a fez isn't cool, no matter what anyone says, same with a fedora.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Baron von Blitztank said:
Why the hell would it be against the law to wear a Fez? Wear the damn Fez!
If you're still a little bit cautious then wear a bow tie and a brown suit with it as well and just say you're cosplaying as The Doctor.

The Fez was outlawed in 1925 by Kemal Atatürk. Atatürk banned the Fez because it was widely used hat during the late Ottoman empire and its continued wearing was symbol of opposition to his Turkish nationalism. Atatürk created modern Turkey as secular nationalist state as opposed to the Ottoman universal Muslim caliphate.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure they sell fezzes as souvenirs so I can't really see why it should be illegal to wear one.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
GrimTuesday said:
No, its never appropriate to wear a fez, the only exception to this rule is if you're in a tiny car and you work of a certain charity organization. I'm sorry, but wearing a fez isn't cool, no matter what anyone says, same with a fedora.
I am afraid I must disagree with you on the fedora part and will provide photographic evidence to back up my opinion:

OT: Personally I would not wear a fez in Turkey or anywhere else unless it was part of a fancy dress costume. To me, it is a comedy hat for the funnies:

However, I believe that any style you want can be worn as long as you wear it with confidence. Therefore, if you decide that a fez is for you and you want to make it a part of your regular outfit, Stride with Confidence down the street wearing your jaunty fez with not a care in your head for the opinions of others!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hornet0404 said:
I'm pretty sure they sell fezzes as souvenirs so I can't really see why it should be illegal to wear one.

See the post above yours for why they are Illegal. The law isn't enforced outside government property so unless you are planing to go into government buildings you wont get arrested, however wearing a Fez makes indicates you are a supporter of Islamic universalism as opposed to secular Turkish nationalism. If you were a woman, the equivalent would be wearing a headscarf. As an obvoius tourist, both sides in the debate in modern Turkey would think you are a pig ignorant fool.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
albino boo said:
Hornet0404 said:

See the post above yours for why they are Illegal. The law isn't enforced outside government property so unless you are planing to go into government buildings you wont get arrested, however wearing a Fez makes indicates you are a supporter of Islamic universalism as opposed to secular Turkish nationalism. If you were a woman, the equivalent would be wearing a headscarf. As an obvoius tourist, both sides in the debate in modern Turkey would think you are a pig ignorant fool.
Thanks for the correction.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Flames66 said:
GrimTuesday said:
I am afraid I must disagree with you on the fedora part and will provide photographic evidence to back up my opinion:

Lets face it, the fedora my have been cool at one point but now it is associated with greasy teenagers and just generally creepy people. Thus, despite the evidence you have put before me, I still have to say no.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
I actually own a Fez from Antalya that my parents bought for me when on holiday there several years ago.
I doubt that it would be illegal for you to wear it, as my dad wore it for the rest of their trip, much to my mothers displeasure.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
GrimTuesday said:
Flames66 said:
GrimTuesday said:

Lets face it, the fedora my have been cool at one point but now it is associated with greasy teenagers and just generally creepy people. Thus, despite the evidence you have put before me, I still have to say no.
Fair enough. I will, however, continue to wear my Fedora (and kinda Fedora shaped Australian hat) with pride.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
I have made my decision, i will be wearing the fez, but stating that i have no opinion in Turkey politics. Thanks to all of you for helping me decide and clearing things up, also i must say, where fedoras are pretty nice, bowler hats is where it's at.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Solstrana91 said:
I actually own a Fez from Antalya that my parents bought for me when on holiday there several years ago.
I doubt that it would be illegal for you to wear it, as my dad wore it for the rest of their trip, much to my mothers displeasure.
GrimTuesday said:
Flames66 said:
GrimTuesday said:

I believe you mean the Pork pie style of Fedora, or the "Rude boy" hat as it were.

Solstrana91

Sep 4, 2004
LiftYourSkinnyFists said:
Solstrana91 said:
GrimTuesday said:
Flames66 said:
GrimTuesday said:

I believe you mean the Pork pie style of Fedora, or the "Rude boy" hat as it were.
...I'm not really sure why I'm in this quote?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
NoneOfYourBusiness said:
You can. Nobody will care. Some may Fezzes aren't particularly related to any social or political group here. BTW Have fun in Antalya.