Is it just me or is PSN HORRIBLE?

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Sony's internet has never been the best. I always had connection issues. Now I don't know about PS4, but lately PS3 seems worse than ever. I'm lucky if 1/5 times I can sign in. Then EVERY time I've opened the Playstation Store for the last month my system has crashed or frozen. Is anyone else having these issues?

Ever since the launch of the PS4 PSN seems worse than ever. And it's only getting worse.

I even successfully got in to the store once last month during the Campcom vs Snk 2 sale but I couldn't buy the game with my debit card. I triple checked my info was right. And steam purchases work.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I thought this was just going to be another person whining about PSN in general, and I was prepared to just walk away mumbling, "Some people are just never happy."
BUT! I read what you wrote and surprise, I have been having the same problems. I thought it was just because my PS3 was old, and because my PS3 and PS4 share a gateway on my internet, so I've just been dealing with it. Now that I've read your thing, I have to wonder though...

I too was having problems with the store. It would lock up, or just kick me out and say try again later. I found a fix for that problem online. I suggest you look it up to make sure, but if I remember right, you need to delete the store from you XBM, and then re-download it. Sony apparently released a patch to fix this issue, but they failed to mention it and people had to figure it out.

I've also had problems signing in to my account on my PS3. It's not as bad as it was, but it does seem to take a lot longer than it used to. However, I haven't had any problems on my PS4, so your issues could be a cross between Sony issues and your own internet. But seriously, look up that deleting and reinstalling trick. It did solve my PSN PS3 store problem at least.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The playstation store has always been a huge shit-fest. I dread having to use it because of how slow and unresponsive it is but it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

Never had a huge problem logging in. Sometimes the network goes down for a few hours but it hasn't happened much in recent memory. Maybe Sony isn't the only problem and your own internet is playing a part.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
No, I quite like it. It's free and I've never had a problem with it that didn't rectify itself within the minute.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
So its not my internet being crap, it is the PSN that is being shit. Well that is nothing new, but it is annoying. You would of thought that after all the problems it has had, Sony would do something about it.

Add to that the fact that the store is the biggest piece on shit going on the PS3. I liked the old design, at least you could find stuff on there.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Been the opposite for me. My PS4 will constantly just lose connection or say it cannot connect at all. No issues on my PS3. Turns out Sony puts really shitty wifi cards in their systems.

layne

Jun 14, 2013
I haven't had any problems signing into PS3 but the store can be a bit sluggish. I'm going to try the fix mentioned by Sniper Team 4. No issues with PS4, though.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Yeah I've had problems with the store recently too, it consistently crashes whenever I open it, and when it is open it is slow as hell. There again it was always slow in its current form, it was faster and more user friendly before they redesigned it ages ago.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
On the PS3 I couldn't say, since I don't spend as much time on it anymore except when I'm watching a movie. Signing in has never really been a problem, but yeah, the Playstation Store runs like shit. And that when the old one ran smooth as silk and was much easier to find stuff on.

I got no problems on the PS4.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Elfgore said:
Been the opposite for me. My PS4 will constantly just lose connection or say it cannot connect at all. No issues on my PS3. Turns out Sony puts really shitty wifi cards in their systems.
I was going to say. I've never had any of these problems on my PS4 or old PS3, but then I realized both machines were hooked to an ethernet cable so the wifi card may just be a load of crap.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
PS store is horrible, downloading takes ages and I often lose connection. Though, to be fair, the latter might aswell be caused by the wireless connection.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
PS3 store is sluggish but thats more of a memory issue than a network issue. PS4/Vita works fine and I only lose connection once in a great while when they're updating things. There are aspects I'd like to see improved on PSN but most of it is cosmetic or trivial and has nothing to do with network functionality.
Sounds like your PS3 is going to shit if its freezing constantly on PS Store. Sorry.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
AveAtqueVale said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
PS3 store is sluggish but thats more of a memory issue than a network issue. PS4/Vita works fine and I only lose connection once in a great while when they're updating things. There are aspects I'd like to see improved on PSN but most of it is cosmetic or trivial and has nothing to do with network functionality.
Sounds like your PS3 is going to shit if its freezing constantly on PS Store. Sorry.
That made me think of something! Years ago I used one of the big shitty ISP's and they were always having us switch out our modems. I guess I slipped through the cracks or something and got off the update list. Anyway, long story short, I stopped getting the new modems, and for a while that was fine. Pretty quickly though, my connection started to get weird. I'd get days when I'd have to power cycle the modem and shit like that.

Maybe this isn't a line problem, or a PS3 problem, but a modem/router problem? Even the ethernet cable could be the one at fault.
Thats absolutely possible. I got DC Universe Online for PS3 for a present once back when it was still sub-based and I couldn't get it to connect despite PSN being connected, every other online game working just peachy. Turns out the modem we had was in need of a recall as certain types of network traffic which happened to coincide with DCUO's netcode just wouldn't go through properly. Soon as we got a new modem, the issue cleared up (and our download speeds increased by a huge margin).

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Ever since they redesigned the PS3 store it's been absolutely horrendous for me. It's terribly slow, unstable and often causes my PS3 to force shut down, so I can't use it to browse/buy anything.

It also doesn't help that the UI is ass backwards compared to what it was before.

Jan 12, 2012
Wow. I've had no problems; I don't use it super-often, but I popped in last night, bought a movie, and started watching it immediately without a hiccup. That was on the PS4, but still.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
I can't speak for the PS4 store but the PS3 is definitely lackluster. It has lagged, locked up, frozen and reset my machine on me numerous times - particularly since they redesigned the layout. Like another user I assumed it was because I had an older PS3 at the time but it's an issue on my brand new super slim too.

No problems with the Vita though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PS3 version of the store is ass. They screwed it up horribly and everything's slow and buggy.

0takuMetalhead said:
PS store is horrible, downloading takes ages and I often lose connection. Though, to be fair, the latter might aswell be caused by the wireless connection.
I'm guessing WiFi is an issue, yes. I download pretty fast on a wired connection. Of course, not all of us have our PS consoles right next to our modems, so I get why not everyone has awesome, decent, or even okay-ish speeds.

AveAtqueVale said:
That made me think of something! Years ago I used one of the big shitty ISP's and they were always having us switch out our modems. I guess I slipped through the cracks or something and got off the update list. Anyway, long story short, I stopped getting the new modems, and for a while that was fine. Pretty quickly though, my connection started to get weird. I'd get days when I'd have to power cycle the modem and shit like that.

Maybe this isn't a line problem, or a PS3 problem, but a modem/router problem? Even the ethernet cable could be the one at fault.
Having worked for a cable company, one of the reasons they want you to upgrade is often not for your benefit but so they don't have to support so many modem types. I resisted upgrading for two years, and I didn't have any better connectivity after I upgraded--as I expected. But my old SURFboard was like five years old at that point, so I figured I might as well.

Since this is PS3 we're talking about, I don't think it's the modem or connection. They tried to make a unified store experience that doesn't run well on the older hardware.