Is it normal?

smokeybearsb

Feb 2, 2009
I guess I'm a really pensive person, I'm really analytical and cynical. I'm neutral on almost everything, trying to be free of bias and finding the reasons for conclusions. I ponder why the universe exists-how it could be anything-and yet I exist. Humans are alive on this sole planet in the universe, along with all other life, and live. I ponder how social order keeps us together, how morals shape us, how we can do anything we want, what reprecussions are for certain actions, what other people think about, why they act like they do, and try to figure them out. I can predict what people will do, and why they do what they do, even if their intentions are unclear. I basically have emotions down to a science. I feel like I'm thinking about stuff like this on a much larger scale than others, but my relatives, who will throw stuff out there like "I'm pondering the mysteries of life" when I ask them what they're doing make me doubt this. I assume it's within human nature to ponder why we are here, though. I go through highs and lows, feeling self-confident and smarter than anybody else during the highs, and really dumb and unimportant during the lows. I normally switch from high to low or vice versa whenever I recognize I'm going through either. I don't think it's manic-depression, though. Time moves by unrelentlessly fast. It never stops. People live life on this planet, as far as I know, never think about this stuff, and live lives dictated by social norms. I realize nothing is true, everything is permitted (yeah, it's from Assassin's creed, it might be corny but it's damn true and fucking badass).

Is this teenage angst (I'm 16) or does everyone think about this on a normal basis?

(Also, I'd write more, but it's really hard to concentrate and I lose my train or thought easily)

BaronXS

Jul 11, 2009
I've been thinking like that since I was 12. It's natural human psychology to question things.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I have moments like that. Mostly when I start a train of thought and lack the impetus to stop, or when I'm prompted by something and just keep going.

I never associated it with angst, personally. I guess it would depend on the conclusions you draw, if any. Unless it actually interferes with something, I'd say it's probably normal, though I'm naturally not an expert (nor do I necessarily know what I'm talking about).

ObnoxiousTwat

Sep 28, 2008
At least you're actually pondering about these. Way to break free of the average teenage frame of mind!

smokeybearsb

Feb 2, 2009
One thing I would like to know is if adults have already gone through this stage but simply got over it and just go through life. Anybody?

By the way it's hella fun to think about stuff like this.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
quack35 said:
That's definitely teenage angst.
Well, that's one way to deflate a hot air balloon.

@topic, don't judge yourself until you're like 25. If you've stopped doing it by then to instead marry, raise children, buy a house, and settle into a job you hate because you've got nothing else to do, you can consider yourself normal and forget about it. If instead you choose to continue to refuse to let your brain atrophy and find yourself well on your way to a being a philosopher, scientist, or just an amateur guru, then you'll know you're one of those damned thinking people everyone hates right now but will need to save us from the asteroid when it comes.

And no, you can't do both. Ask Tesla.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
smokeybearsb said:
I guess I'm a really pensive person, I'm really analytical and cynical. I'm neutral on almost everything, trying to be free of bias and finding the reasons for conclusions. I ponder why the universe exists-how it could be anything-and yet I exist. Humans are alive on this sole planet in the universe, along with all other life, and live. I ponder how social order keeps us together, how morals shape us, how we can do anything we want, what reprecussions are for certain actions, what other people think about, why they act like they do, and try to figure them out. I can predict what people will do, and why they do what they do, even if their intentions are unclear. I basically have emotions down to a science. I feel like I'm thinking about stuff like this on a much larger scale than others, but my relatives, who will throw stuff out there like "I'm pondering the mysteries of life" when I ask them what they're doing make me doubt this. I assume it's within human nature to ponder why we are here, though. I go through highs and lows, feeling self-confident and smarter than anybody else during the highs, and really dumb and unimportant during the lows. I normally switch from high to low or vice versa whenever I recognize I'm going through either. I don't think it's manic-depression, though. Time moves by unrelentlessly fast. It never stops. People live life on this planet, as far as I know, never think about this stuff, and live lives dictated by social norms. I realize nothing is true, everything is permitted (yeah, it's from Assassin's creed, it might be corny but it's damn true and fucking badass).

Is this teenage angst (I'm 16) or does everyone think about this on a normal basis?

(Also, I'd write more, but it's really hard to concentrate and I lose my train or thought easily)
Oh my god, are you me?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Not everyone thinks along those lines, or at least not for very long. Those are very important questions, and it's important you answer them for yourself. Understand those, you're going to come to an understanding of much more. It's very important to form your own opinions on these, so good luck.

Welcome to consciousness. Congratulations on waking up.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Normal... for most... many... some people. Some doesn't "waste" their thoughts for deep thinking. (Which is a shame). I experienced the same thing, i guess. And i am at this for over ten years now. So for me, i think it is permanent, and not just teenage angst-driven.

So welcome to the club.

(Ah ok, a few things change... i mellowed out a bit more, and the times i feel unimportent are (nearly completely) gone)

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
I would assume most people (teens included) occasionally ponder those thoughts. It might seem like other people don't, but general conversations don't usually involve serious philosophical questions that have plagued man for millenia.

smokeybearsb

Feb 2, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Not everyone thinks along those lines, or at least not for very long. Those are very important questions, and it's important you answer them for yourself. Understand those, you're going to come to an understanding of much more. It's very important to form your own opinions on these, so good luck.

Welcome to consciousness. Congratulations on waking up.
Oh dude I've been thinking about this for like....I wanna say years now. I've just now been getting REALLY into it and recognizing human nature.

Disaster Button said:
smokeybearsb said:
Oh my god, are you me?
Maybe...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
smokeybearsb said:
Oh dude I've been thinking about this for like....I wanna say years now. I've just now been getting REALLY into it and recognizing human nature.
Good for you. With an understanding of human nature comes much more enjoyment. As long as you realize that your strain of thinking is actually worthwhile. If you cease thinking so, you'll become gray, boring, bland, and the average dull person that walks the street, moving from life to death in an inescapable stream of boredom and slog...

Stick with it. It's infinitely more worthwhile to comprehend such things, even if it's hard to find an actual answer. If you can, pass along your thoughts, without forcing them on others, try and get them to question things as you have. If you succeed, then fantastic, amazing, superb. If not, keep trying. Such is the beginning...

Low Key

May 7, 2009
That sounds rather normal, at least for your age. I haven't thought quite like that since I had to get a job and worry about paying the bills. Working leaves little time to ponder the inner workings of life.

I have to say though, your thinking is quite one sided. What you might consider acting on social norms may actually be that person doing what they need to so they can put food on the table. It's not that people necessarily enjoy doing it, but most things come down to survival, especially if they have kids. And while you may have variety in your life now (i.e. different classes, sports, girls, social interactions you haven't experienced), by the time you get a job and responsibility, you'll see it's not that easy to drop everything and do something else. That's why you hear about people in ruts or having a midlife crisis.

It took me 5 years before I got off my ass and got into college after high school. Those 5 years were a rut for me. I didn't do shit but jump from job to job, basically waiting for my next opportunity. It didn't help I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my life.

Ilovechocolatemilk

Mar 26, 2009
It's funny, you sound like me when I was a teenager, especially noting the lines "I go through highs and lows" and "it's really hard to concentrate and I lose my train [of] thought easily."

You might want to get yourself checked out if this behavior starts interfering with your life. I wasn't diagnosed with bipolar disorder until I was already in college, though I can say with certainty that those symptoms (similar to yours) were manifest much earlier, approximately when I hit puberty. Of course, this is not referring to the first half of your post where you discuss open-ended philosophical problems; it's natural for people to think about the "big" problems in life and be subsequently overwhelmed by the vastness of it all and the insignificance of humans in the grand scheme of things. Rather, this is addressing the way that your train of thought naturally segued into the statement discussing how you go through these "highs and lows," indicating (to me at least) that the times when you wax philosophical is concurrent with changes in your mood. I should know, I'm exactly the same way.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not saying, "Go out, get diagnosed, and get medicated now" because frankly, not everyone responds well to medication and considering the state of psychiatric science throughout the past few decades, I frequently doubt the efficacy of modern drugs in addressing behavioral issues. Instead, I think it's important to recognize certain behavioral patterns in yourself in order to identify those particular thought patterns that eventually lead down the path of depression so that in the future, you can avoid those dangerous trains of thought and consciously alter your perspective into a more positive one (thereby dampening the inevitable depression period). Personally, I tried the medication route, didn't like it, and eventually settled into a routine of regular exercise and forced studying. If you're anything like me, I think you'll find that the concentration issue will lessen the more you force yourself to study-- like cardiovascular training, by pushing yourself to study and read at length, you'll gradually improve your mental endurance and ability to take in and process information.

Anyways, the mere fact that you're asking whether or not this type of behavior is "normal" means that you already know the answer to this question but are struggling to come to grips with it. Depending on your definition of "normal," I could say that, "Yes, it is normal for teenagers to go through periods of angst especially when trying to establish their identity as a person and that such thought processes often come hand in hand with the bigger philosophical problems of existence." Yet, I could also claim that since most people don't go through this period of angst, then statistically one might say that no it is not "normal" to think these things. Then again, one could also say that intelligence itself isn't "normal" either and so we can continuously establish various tautological propositions (see "No true Scotsman" fallacy) and run circles around a very simple answer to this question: do YOU think this is normal?

If you had to think about the answer to this question, then no, this is not normal behavior and you are not a "normal" person, at least when considering the larger sample size of the human population. Yet, like many things in life, not being normal does not equate with "abnormal" and as you get older, you'll realize that very very very very very few things are pure black and white. The vast majority of things/concepts/people in this world are measured in gradients between two extremes, drawn and toned in different shades of gray instead of the harsh, abrasive, clear-cut moral lines delineated by so many naive idealists.

The more important question from all of this is whether you can be happy with yourself in whatever it is you're doing. If philosophical inquiry isn't doing it for you (and from the tone of your post, I'm pretty sure this is the case), then find exactly what it is that will make you happy. When you do find that thing, that angst of yours will get moved to the backburner of your brain, with other more tangible problems taking precedence in your mind. That's called growing up.

Jenkins

Dec 4, 2007
Disaster Button said:
smokeybearsb said:

Oh my god, are you me?
this.

STOP SUCKING MY SOUL!

halofox117

Jul 23, 2008
I like thinking like this also like thinking of where we go when we die is there really a heaven? or is it just a painless extremely boring black void? but i guess you would not feel boredom but would some one know that they are dead?

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
TheBluesader said:
quack35 said:
That's definitely teenage angst.
Well, that's one way to deflate a hot air balloon.

@topic, don't judge yourself until you're like 25. If you've stopped doing it by then to instead marry, raise children, buy a house, and settle into a job you hate because you've got nothing else to do, you can consider yourself normal and forget about it. If instead you choose to continue to refuse to let your brain atrophy and find yourself well on your way to a being a philosopher, scientist, or just an amateur guru, then you'll know you're one of those damned thinking people everyone hates right now but will need to save us from the asteroid when it comes.

And no, you can't do both. Ask Tesla.
Thank you. Thinking about things isn't bad and I hate the "it's teenage behavior" rhetoric.

But yeah, I definitely do this all the time. I constantly think about things pretty much everywhere (very helpful in school with the massive amounts of time teachers waste). It's not angst, it's being a conscious intelligent person.