Is it okay to pirate stuff you already own?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I would identify three disparate cases where downloading a game you already own is not only morally acceptable, but the smart thing to do:
1. Installation limits. These are no more than a "screw you" clause to the consumer (especially considering that any pirated copy is going to be installed at least a hundred times, so what the heck is the purpose of limiting us to three activations? Thirty might be slightly more reasonable...), so the companies that put these in place deserve what they get, to be honest. Same goes for UbiRM. If a pirated game is somehow more convenient or usable than the commercial version, I see no moral problem with downloading a pirated copy of a game I already own in another format!
2. Lost the CD key. This happened to me with my first copy of Homeworld; I eventually bought another copy, but I would say if you lose the CD key downloading another copy of the game is a perfectly acceptable way of fixing the problem.
3. Broken disk. If your kid sister steps on your new game CD, do the companies really expect you not to use the resources at you disposal to fix the problem: namely, downloading the game rather than paying another fifty bucks?

More on the lunatic fringe is the possibility of cross-platform games: Namely, is it morally acceptable to download a PC copy of a game you own on the 360 or PS3?

But generally, my policy is if I already own a copy of something, I will feel no qualms about obtaining a digital copy thereof.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
a friend of mine owns a laptop that doesnt read cd´s. If he wants to listen to music, he has to either download it from itunes (which is stupid , since he already bought the cd´s) or download them «illegally». In that case, i think its not considered piracy, since he owns the cds.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Put me down as entirely in favour of 'I should be allowed to replace the data lost for free, if I lose/break/corrupt the original'.

Steam and the like already do this, if you have a virus wipe your PC, just reinstall windows and Steam and start filling that hard drive back up with gaming goodness.

I for one have a theory that if books, movies, games and music all came with a download code, where you could get a digital copy for free as part of the sale, piracy would drop.

Purely because people who legitimately buy stuff, and then find out they can't use it because this thing doesn't work with this hardware, then won't go onto torrent sites to find a version that will work, and then realise they didn't have to pay in the first place.

To me, the number one battle against piracy should be 'Make paying for stuff legally as easy as piracy is', as I'm convinced a lot of piracy happens because stuff just either isn't available, or you're expected to jump thru hoops for the privilege of giving them your money.

Here's an interesting chat on piracy, from the creator of Black Books and the IT Crowd, and why he doesn't fear people 'stealing' his work...

and just because it hasn't been posted in a while,and was written by the above gentleman:

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
i have NOCD cracks on all of my games. It doesn't amke any god-damned sense to be treated like a damn criminal when i bought the fuckign game.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Right, meaning legal?

No.
17 U.S.C. § 117 Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs
(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy. ? Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
(2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

Right, meaning legal?

Yes.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Making copies of digital product you already own is perfectly acceptible, as long as you do not make money of it.
What you mentioned with friends making copies for each other, causing only 1 sale for 20 consumers, is an iffy subject since it gets into the "file sharing" topic.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
YARGH, me be speaking pirate for this post, all ye who claim us scurvy dogs to be theives should wlk the plank, this is one of those rare cases where I actually bought the item in question you lily-livered landlubber, if I lost a game while I was marooned on an island then I be entitled to copy said game and there be no parley on this issue!!

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Orekoya said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Right, meaning legal?

No.
17 U.S.C. § 117 Limitations on exclusive rights: Computer programs
(a) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy. ? Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
(1) that such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
(2) that such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful.

Right, meaning legal?

Yes.
You misunderstand that law, my friend.
It is oddly worded but it completely covers the right of acquiring "adaptation of that computer program" if it is an "essential step in the utilization of the computer program" that can be "used in no other manner".

If you own a copy of data and the original source of data is damaged beyond use, it's legal to have another copy of that exact data even if you did not make the back up yourself, provided of course it didn't have in-placed some form of time limit that "continued possession of the computer program should cease to be rightful" such as the pay-to-play variety.

I also noticed that you have skirted posting anything with substance. If you are going to tell someone they are wrong, you do need to elaborate on why; otherwise it can be seen as childish.

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Necromancer1991 said:
YARGH, me be speaking pirate for this post, all ye who claim us scurvy dogs to be theives should wlk the plank, this is one of those rare cases where I actually bought the item in question you lily-livered landlubber, if I lost a game while I was marooned on an island then I be entitled to copy said game and there be no parley on this issue!!
epic post is epic

but since we are talking about information which can be replicated any number of times for minimal cost i believe that you should be allowed to download something if you already have purchased it as long as you dont start distributing it in place of the official companies who need to make a profit of it.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Yes, I already own it, I have the license to use it (read the legal stuff in the manuals, you don't own your games), so damn right I can pirate it if the media is damaged or incompatible or something. I think that's perfectly fair.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
"Is it okay to pirate stuff you already own?"

Um... no...

It's not possible to pirate something you already own. You can download it through any means you like, but if you paid for it, it's absolutely okay (and not pirating at all).

mageroel

Jan 25, 2010
Once you already have the rights, it's okay to download it I guess.. You've already paid for it. You are however also distributing illegal stuff if you use torrents, so using Rapidshare is best for that.