Is It Possible? "A Phantom Edit" Makes Star Wars Prequels Surprisingly Good

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
MC1980 said:
Mangling the movies can't fix the horrible dialogue, horrible acting and stupid plot.
I was about to say, it might flow better, but those two were so horribly stiff and wonky... like a couple of teens trying to recite Shakespeare on stage. Trying but still sounding like they don't know what they're saying half the time.
Which given the writing... is at least partially understanding.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
I'd actually recommend Darths & Droids [http://www.darthsanddroids.net/] over this, which re-imagines the saga as a tabletop RPG.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
I just watched it. I have never seen the first 3 episodes.

Some scenes are still really bad acted. Holy shit.

Apart from that, nice story, mostly consistent (I only wondered why Anakin had a Robot Arm after some time without context).

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
I don't understand the point of this. It's not like the prequels were bad or anything.

Campy as all hell? Yes. So were the OG.

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
karkashan said:
I don't understand the point of this. It's not like the prequels were bad or anything.

Campy as all hell? Yes. So were the OG.
The point is that the prequels are generally seen as bad. While I don't hate all of them, most of the phantom menace, and all of the creepy Anakin stuff really did need to go. And Jar-Jar.
(Also, yes, the originals are SO cheesy.)

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
You know what's amusing.

When people do fan edits of Mass Effect, the fans are considered entitled pricks stomping on the creative integrity of Bioware.
Meanwhile, people are still doing fan edits of Star Wars a decade and a half later and they are considered heroes fighting against that cruel tyrant George Lucas.

I wonder if it's a generational thing.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
PirateRose said:
You know what's amusing.

When people do fan edits of Mass Effect, the fans are considered entitled pricks stomping on the creative integrity of Bioware.
Meanwhile, people are still doing fan edits of Star Wars a decade and a half later and they are considered heroes fighting against that cruel tyrant George Lucas.

I wonder if it's a generational thing.
It might have something to do with how untamed the internet was back in those days. How people didn't think anything of it when they downloaded songs from Napster and download roms and movies. Compare that to today, with all the legal ways to view things, and you have a different view on copywright and artistic ownership.

But that's just a wild stab in the dark.

charona

May 8, 2015
Someone on reddit posted a new prequel edit a few days ago, called The Blackened Mantle. They rewrote the entire script/story by putting new subtitles over the Japanese version of the movies. The (re-) editing and (re-) writing is ridiculously professional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLM-dXP-KE

(Yes, I joined just to tell you this. Hi. And no, I didn't create it.)

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
JCAll said:
Cutting Ray Park, Christopher Lee, and the less hateable child Anakin isn't going to do it.
Less hateable? Please. For all the bitching HC gets, that freakin' kid ruined the movie for me. Christensen may not have shot to stardom, but Phantom Menace effectively aborted Lloyd's acting career.

At any rate, I watched the edit and it's far from perfect, but it achieved what it set out to do - the romance is more believable and Anakin doesn't come across as such a whiny douchebag. He's still a bit cocky and impatient, but overall he's much more likeable and his fall is much more tragic.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
As someone who actually liked the prequels excepting a few cringeworthy scenes, director's cut-style edits would be so much better. Snip midichlorians, focus less on that insufferable "romance," and you've pretty much already made the prequels on par with the OT, not perfect gems of cinema themselves by far. I know the feeling of betrayal tinges our perceptions to this day, but as someone who grew up right around when TPM hit, but also watched the OT religiously with my family, I liked or disliked the series and its components entirely without nostalgia goggles. What I got from it was an awesome space fantasy and a bridge into the EU, which I loved despite its glaring flaws. Even more, if we treat the vast majority of the prequels' content as non-canon, we horribly diminish the (in my opinion) wonderful Clone Wars and Rebels series.

Of course, this is just my own impression and I don't want to make people see things my way. You know, just in case what always happens when I talk about the prequels happens now. They're just movies, I'm just an opinionated commenter, and have a peaceful and relaxing day.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
ExileNZ said:
Less hateable? Please. For all the bitching HC gets, that freakin' kid ruined the movie for me. Christensen may not have shot to stardom, but Phantom Menace effectively aborted Lloyd's acting career.
...how? He barely did anything but sit in a cockpit or hang out in the background. He barely had lines. Anakin was more of a prop in the Phantom Menace than a character. And considering how his character turned in the sequels, I consider that a positive.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
m00se said:
Is It Possible? "A Phantom Edit" Makes Star Wars Prequels Surprisingly Good

This fan edit of the Star Wars prequels somehow manages to make the trilogy palatable.

Read Full Article
Everything that prequels 456 isn't actually that bad if you take into account the entire expanded universe (Especially clone wars).

It just doesn't fit the original movies and that's logical because of the timegap.

Heck look at Star Wars : Rebels, it shows the reverse, where Clone Wars was critically aclaimed Rebels is not so much panned as rather driven into a dark corner.

I personally regard Clone Wars as the superior series anyway.

My point being here that you can see that the two just don't mesh that well.

Lucas just screwed everything up with the way he did the movies and that's even after he had to face serious editting back in the day on his scripts.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
the silence said:

Apart from that, nice story, mostly consistent (I only wondered why Anakin had a Robot Arm after some time without context).
As if the original trilogy was such a stellar piece of acting all-round.... people are just blinded by nostalgia.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
I've tried watching this, but no amount of editing is going to improve the dialogue or make Hayden Christensen tolerable on screen.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I didn't hate the prequel trilogy or even consider them bad. I know why a lot of people do, but I myself don't because I watched them in Russian dub in which Anakin was voiced by an actual man. And a good actor.

Cutting off the Obi-Wan parts of Ep 2 and 3? Those were the best ones.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
shirkbot said:
Scars Unseen said:
Jandau said:
Improving the prequels, step 1, cut out Phantom Menace. Yep, sounds about right...
Step 2: Cut out Attack of the Clones.
I thought step 2 was removing Hayden Christensen. I'd honestly love an inverse of this edit where it focuses on the politics and war and cut the love story.
I think that a good use of CGI would be to replace Hayden Christensen with a young Sebastian Shaw. Take that!

These movies were basically ruined by adding the trade federation nonsense and by failing at the representation of Anakin. I still like Obi-Wan and the Emperor though.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Politrukk said:
the silence said:

As if the original trilogy was such a stellar piece of acting all-round.... people are just blinded by nostalgia.
Oh yes because nominated for multiple academy awards (and won a few), and placed among multiple best pictures has made people become blinded by nostalgia.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
No amount of editing can somehow go back in time and fix the awful direction/writing which resulted in such stiff and wooden acting from just about every actor. Not to mention some of the most boring cinematography in the history of film.

FavouredEnemy

Oct 16, 2007
I thought the edit was overall quite good - though I did struggle to keep watching through some of the middle scenes.

My one disappointment was with the ending, where it doesn't do enough to underline that Anakin/Vader killed Padmé to stay alive himself.