Is it possible for a 13 year old gamer to save up enough to buy the parts to build a gaming pc

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Souplex said:
All your complaints about the console community and games are tenfold on PC. Theres a reason so many people are abandoning that sinking ship.
Don't buy a boat full of holes.
lolololololololololololololololol

OT: Go to a small computer shop, tell them what you want it for, and set a maximum price of £500 - £700.

They'll recommend the parts and you can then look them up before you pay for it, ask them to swap anything out if someone can recommend a better one.

You'll want the motherboard to be the most up-to-date (in my opinion anyways), because when its time to upgrade, its going to depend on what it supports. You don't want to have left it for way too long, decide you need a CPU upgrade, and then realise you're MoBo doesn't support it enough. Make sure the case is big too - doesn't need to look fancy, but it should be big. Getting those things out of the way initially will bring your expenses down quicker - eventually your entire costs will be less than that of a console.

Try and find a shop recommended by someone else if you can - unless you know someone who'll build it for you for free, in which case, even better.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
Griffstar said:
Building your own PC is hard work if you don't know what your doing. From personal experience I made my own with the help of my Dad, which I bought all the parts for around 10 Grand(Including 1,000 on Anti-Virus's, and other acsessories
Is that $10K for parts? Where the hell did you shop?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
All the issues you listed having problems with consoles (Nothing but FPS games and a bad community) isn't exactly getting fixed by going to the PC. There are other reasons for a PC, but those two reasons are firmly at the bottom. Every game released for consoles are on PCs, and they are, you guessed it, nothing but FPS games, and the community, while not quite as ignorant, are FAR more arrogant, and they are NOT inviting of newcomers, and tend not to be tolerant of people with low-end PCs.

That being said: yeah, it can be done. Some of the earlier posts explained how. If you really think going to PC gaming is going to solve your gaming issues, go for it.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
That depends:
How much do you spend on booze and weed?
Corpse XxX said:
At age 13 i had already been working steadily for 2 years at an eletronics shop.
Child labour, anyone?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Griffstar said:
Building your own PC is hard work if you don't know what your doing. From personal experience I made my own with the help of my Dad, which I bought all the parts for around 10 Grand(Including 1,000 on Anti-Virus's, and other acsessories).
Specs?

Griffstar

Mar 3, 2011
3AM said:
Griffstar said:
Building your own PC is hard work if you don't know what your doing. From personal experience I made my own with the help of my Dad, which I bought all the parts for around 10 Grand(Including 1,000 on Anti-Virus's, and other acsessories
Is that $10K for parts? Where the hell did you shop?

I bought a lot of shit for it.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
It took me until I was 17 to get a PC, and I still have a large amount of money saved up. Allowance is your friend. Also, try to get a job as soon as possible. It doesn't matter so much how much you make, because if you stick with it you should be able to make more than enough. I've been working at a non-profit for 4 years for like half of minimum wage and it worked out awesome for me.

Hazzaslagga

Sep 18, 2009
how much are you willing to spend/save? I've recently finished my first pc which cost £300-£400 but i got some parts as spares and such. What games do you want to play because requirements are getting higher and higher.

dogstile said:
Capcha: sablica awoke

OH NO, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, SABLICA WOKE UP
Inglip shall destroy sablica.

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Irridium said:
You want to escape arrogance by joining the PC community?

lulz
My thought's exactly.

You should be able to do it though. I recently bought this an Asus gaming laptop for about $1200. It's not the most amazing gaming computer, but I'm able to play just about anything with medium to high graphics at 60 fps.

gravitate

Nov 28, 2010
Carl Russell said:
I am 13 years old. I'm sick of all the dull fps and crappy games developers are making for consoles. Not to mention the arrogant community that consists of immature kids (Not all of the community just most people I run into online). I?m thinking of saving up to by the components to build a high-end gaming pc that will last me about 2-3 years of playing the latest games at playable frame rates. Is it possible that I would have enough money to get my hands on the components? If I saved up all my money I earn about £1300 in 1 year. Thank you guys in return.
do what i did, work for your money. get your parents to pay you for cleaning, babysitting, ETC.
also,whenever you go out to something like a movie with your friends, ask for a lot of money and keep the change. hopefully, your parents won't ask you to pay them back. i put up a thread about what computer to get. read it, maybe make a list of parts and build your own gaming PC.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Google Maximum PC, or pick up their magazine. Every year they do an issue on building a pretty decent pc for about $1000, and another for a high end machine at $10,000. Mind you I think they use retail prices so if you buy the stuff online you might find it a bit cheaper, but you're honestly better off just sticking with a console.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well once you have your cash saved up go on the internets and look up sites for the specific purpose of building your own PC, tech changes all the time so there will always be something new to get and there is always someone putting these lists together.

I personally never go above 600euro because beyond that point you are most likely pissing your money away on hugely expensive parts for a measly performance gain, but the price limit is up to you.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Hey, I'd say it would be great experience. You learn a lot putting things together. Try to find someone who's done it before to ask advice from, though. There's no CNTRL-Z with a soldering gun.

re: your reasons. Get a PC to get a PC, not because you think the community will be any better; that varies more from game to game than platform to platform. The indie communities tend to be a bit more positive, fwiw (though not always).

But besides just playing games, there's a lot of cool things you can do with a high power rig, like modeling or graphic work. Blender and Gimp are free, just to name two decent programs off the top of my head. Modding can be an obsession, just look at some of the stuff guys have done with the Crysis SDK (now there's a bench test for you).

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
What, you can't ask your parents? That's what my children do, but they are in their 80s now.
Carl Russell said:
My parents know nothing about computer prices or computers.
If you knew Mount, then you'd know that he's joking/trolling. =L

OT: Yes, it's possible, but, as a 13 year old, you don't need a £1300 gaming rig. Get something cheaper, seriously.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Yes you can, but always keep in mind the PC market is constantly changing so Components need to keep getting upgraded if it is high end it can become a medium PC in about a year. However for sake of argument it is possible. I am 15 built first computer when I was 13 was able to find some real kickass deals but building computers does require a lot of know how and ain't easy. Also remember my golden rule, "Just because it has a bigger number at the end doesn't make it better"

Estoki

May 25, 2010
I did it when I was 12, I'm sure you can do it too.

Edit: Then again, it wasn't a 1300 $ computer.