Is it possible we are living in the Matrix?

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
It is possible that we're living in the Matrix. Anyone who says any different is stupid or lying as it's logically impossible to prove that we aren't.
Do you realize...
All of these are true points and quite valid, but it's possible the rules of the Matrix are made so as to prevent a Matrix being possible within the Matrix. If someone built a Matrix inside the Matrix it would inevitably crash. The world outside could have vast sources of energy that do not generate heat and could transmit data faster than the speed of light. Once you hit a Singularity type situation even writing all that code may be possible. The biggest stumbling block would be "why?", but I suppose it's possible this is some kind of prison.

It's all ludicrous but the important thing to note is that there would be no way to know inside the Matrix. It's a technological equivalent to Descartes' Demon and on those terms impossible to disprove.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well the Matrix was based off the "peak" of humanity...or 1999

somehow I feel we're more technologically advanced now in 2010...but the PEAK? ehh no not quite haha

May 5, 2010
Hey, I have question. If the war between the machines and humans took place in the distant future, why is the Matrix set in the 1990s?

Did they even bother explaining that?

OT: No. Technically, yes. But no.

EmmerikXXII

Nov 11, 2009
But a simulated reality could be any point in history. For all you know this "God-machine" could exist in the year 30,000. That's kinda beyond our perception, so theoretically it's still "possible, though unlikely."

deonte9109

Sep 8, 2010
by all technicality, we can argue that the Matrix does not exist but if you remember the point of the Matrix, it is a prison that we can not detect with our five senses. On top of that, the world that we know it could have artificially set back to however long the overlords desired. Therefore, our past can not be used to determine reality nor can our senses. If you say probable, there is no physical evidence that truly supports your claims unfortunately just like the existence of god technically, there is no absolute proof that there is or is not a god. I personally do not doubt the existence of some form of the Matrix existing possibly something like Inception where we are all in a shared dream like state. Dreaming in dreams of a dream only wishing to either wake u pfrom the current dream or go deeper into our dreams.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
No, this is not the Matrix because we're all just the fleeting dream of a cocaine-addicted space ladybug.

I know this, because He told me. I don't see how no one figured this out before me.

Jeronus said:
The Matrix movies wouldn't exist if we lived in the matrix. The robots wouldn't let a movie explaining everything be made.
Wouldn't they, if the movie: The Matrix existed in The Matrix who would truly think that they were in The Matrix. Something identified as a myth is more easily assumed to be a myth than something newly introduced.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
The matrix (Synthetic intelligence created by humans harvesting humans kept in a virtual reality) may not be true...but the theory that all that we experience has already been experienced by some infinitely enormous "computer" and we are just playing out it's history is a viable theory of everything. More so, certainly, than the christian god.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
What if we're all nothing but characters in a book which isn't even finished yet? What if the author encountered a writers block and can't finish it? If a tree in a forrest is falling down and no one is around to see or hear it - does it make a sound? What if tomorrow was already yesterday all our actions would be set in stone ages ago?

I guess nothing is impossible so yeah, we could be "living" in the mat...FUCK YEAH, FRESH DOUGHNUTS!*

*©Erin Stout

yoz13

Mar 17, 2010
It's possible but impossible to prove. Depends in what you belive in I guess

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
yoz13 said:
It's possible but impossible to prove. Depends in what you belive in I guess
You start of well, but the ending is weak. Yeah it's possible and impossible to prove, but it doesn't depend on what you believe at all.

Whether we live in a Matrix or not is factual information; it's either true or false. One's belief in either answer does not change that fact, even though we don't know what it is.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
OP, your question is too narrow. What you really want to ask is:

Is this reality, or are we all just dreaming the same dream? Unless, you're the only dreamer, and I'm just a figment of your imagination.

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
Jeronus said:
The Matrix movies wouldn't exist if we lived in the matrix. The robots wouldn't let a movie explaining everything be made.
Hah, great answer.

And I suppose to all of you who say that just because we cannot disprove it, its possible. I know how you think, and it's logical. It's just sooo annoying.

The chances that two stoned anime-crazed brothers from the states are the messiah(s)... it's just cannot be. I think the chance actually has gone negative.