Is it right to give money to beggars?

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
I always give money to anyone who asks me for it, bar none. And I don't skimp, either: usually a twenty if I have it. I see it as my Christian duty to give charity to those who ask for it. After all, my Lord has taught that "whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

I'm no fool: I realize that the chance is very high that I have funded someone's drunken, smack-filled haze more than once. But it's a matter of who is wronging whom. If I give to a beggar and he is in earnest need, then the system works as it should; if I give to a beggar and he is deceiving me, then he has wronged me and that is on his head. If I refuse a beggar and he is deceiving me, then once again the system works as it should; if I refuse a beggar and he is in earnest need, then I have wrong him and that is on MY head.

The basic premise is simple: it is better to believe and risk being hurt oneself than to disbelieve and risk hurting another.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
James B Hamster said:
I always give money to anyone who asks me for it, bar none. And I don't skimp, either: usually a twenty if I have it. I see it as my Christian duty to give charity to those who ask for it. After all, my Lord has taught that "whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

I'm no fool: I realize that the chance is very high that I have funded someone's drunken, smack-filled haze more than once. But it's a matter of who's wronging who. If I give to a beggar and he is in earnest need, then the system works as it should; if I give to a beggar and he is deceiving me, then he has wronged me and that is on his head. If I refuse a beggar and he is deceiving me, then once again the system works as it should; if I refuse a beggar and he is in earnest need, then I have wrong him and that is on MY head.

The basic premise is simple: it is better to believe and risk being hurt than to disbelieve and risk hurting another.
I like this argument! Though I like to logic charge through everything in my way.

Pinky

Mar 13, 2011
I've only given money to people at bus shelters who clearly need to catch the next bus. So far I've been able to tell the difference between those who actually catch the bus, and those who drive off in a vehicle moments later...

The best thing to do is offer to get them a meal... most of the people on the street unfortunately have some form of substance abuse, so it's better to not offer money :\
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10098574
Many are people with mental health issues who cannot get treatment, or refuse to stay on their own medication.
It's sad, I've known a few people who've degraded like that.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
orangeban said:
Busking is performing for the cash. So someone who plays guitar on the street and you chuck a coin in his guitar case or whatever is busking. It's actually a very legitamate thing. I mean, here in Edinburgh we have the Edinburgh festival where it's just street performers (there's a lot of comedians) for ages. There's actual venues and performances but most of it's just people on the street.

The thing with the illegal immigrants is many people are very polarised about them. Some say we should support them, others effectively say GTFO to them (I'm in the first, to an extent (my views are a mish mash of pragmatic and idealistic ideas.)) You also get a lot of Europeans who can immigrate in freely as long as there in the European Union. Some of them end up begging but I think that's mainly to save up so they can buy some Big Issue (look back in the forums for what the Big Issue is)
I wonder if they have licensing for "busking" here because is very rare that I see anything like that in Ottawa. I know in my trip to Montreal (also where that "ugly prostitute" was) I helped out a very entertaining street performer, with a unique set of juggling and unicyclist. It was all really amateur but his method of engaging the audience was fantastic. I helped him mount the unicycle by holding it for him. And after a really great show myself and several others put in about 5 bucks each. The way I see it he gave me something entertaining so I was compensating him for that.

Supporting talent like that or a guitar player in my mind is totally different then supporting a beggar.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't think it's a case of wrong or right. I personally will not give a pandhandler money because there's a more than fair chance that they will just use it to feed whatever vice they have. If I feel a need to help someone who's down on their luck, there are various places I can donate or volunteer my time to help those out who really do need it. For example, many Salvation Army locations accept donations for a service that allows homeless/destitute people to come in, get cleaned up, have a hot meal and get a change of clothes. If I give my $2 to this program of the Salvation Army, I know it's going to help someone. If I give my $2 to someone on the street, it may not always be wasted but I really have no idea what it's going to be used for, good or bad.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Rayne870 said:
orangeban said:
Busking is performing for the cash. So someone who plays guitar on the street and you chuck a coin in his guitar case or whatever is busking. It's actually a very legitamate thing. I mean, here in Edinburgh we have the Edinburgh festival where it's just street performers (there's a lot of comedians) for ages. There's actual venues and performances but most of it's just people on the street.

The thing with the illegal immigrants is many people are very polarised about them. Some say we should support them, others effectively say GTFO to them (I'm in the first, to an extent (my views are a mish mash of pragmatic and idealistic ideas.)) You also get a lot of Europeans who can immigrate in freely as long as there in the European Union. Some of them end up begging but I think that's mainly to save up so they can buy some Big Issue (look back in the forums for what the Big Issue is)
I wonder if they have licensing for "busking" here because is very rare that I see anything like that in Ottawa. I know in my trip to Montreal (also where that "ugly prostitute" was) I helped out a very entertaining street performer, with a unique set of juggling and unicyclist. It was all really amateur but his method of engaging the audience was fantastic. I helped him mount the unicycle by holding it for him. And after a really great show myself and several others put in about 5 bucks each. The way I see it he gave me something entertaining so I was compensating him for that.

Supporting talent like that or a guitar player in my mind is totally different then supporting a beggar.
Yes, but it isn't too difficult for a beggar to switch from begging to busking (or selling the Big Issue). You do get some really entertaining ones in Edinburgh, I think it's because some of the streets are pretty inaccessable to cars (but still being big streets) so there's plenty of room to busk (seriously, they just stand and play guitar in the middle of the street since no cars barely ever go up certain sections of Edinburgh (the main section I'm thinking is Prince's street and the rest of the Royal Mile just in case your interested.)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I say no most of the time, but here's why. 90% of the beggars I see are usually holding a sign that reads something like "I'm a veteran. Please feed me". Now, what really angers me is the fact that they're veterans. As one, they could easily get a job anywhere. Mind you, not a GREAT job but at least a job. So they really have no alibi.
As far as other beggars, I think the same thing applies. Women carrying 50 children on their backs, guys who are not that old, people who just stand on a specific spot all day long while holding a sign; none of them have an alibi. When you're hungry, you try to do anything in order to get some money. They're not doing anything in specific. Guess they're not that hungry. I'm not saying they should amuse me. I'm saying they could be looking for a job anywhere instead of sunbathing all day.

Food? They don't want food. I once gave a beggar food and he looked disappointed. I've seen people ask for money so they can buy cigs or beer or even drugs. So no, I don't trust any of them. However, if they're at least trying to do something decent, like selling something or trying to prove any service (Whether they're good at it or not), then I might reconsider. I mean, at least they're trying!

As far as beggars outside the US, trust me. Go somewhere else outside the US, maybe further south. It will make you think that US beggars are literally sunbathing just for the heck of it. However, I will admit that these foreign beggars try to provide a service in exchange for money, like I mentioned before. Most of them, not all of them.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
orangeban said:
Rayne870 said:
orangeban said:

Yes, but it isn't too difficult for a beggar to switch from begging to busking (or selling the Big Issue). You do get some really entertaining ones in Edinburgh, I think it's because some of the streets are pretty inaccessable to cars (but still being big streets) so there's plenty of room to busk (seriously, they just stand and play guitar in the middle of the street since no cars barely ever go up certain sections of Edinburgh (the main section I'm thinking is Prince's street and the rest of the Royal Mile just in case your interested.)
I've always been meaning to go so that would be a sight to see I think. Museums and such aren't my thing, but I like architecture and seeing the local life.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Rayne870 said:
orangeban said:
Rayne870 said:
orangeban said:

I've always been meaning to go so that would be a sight to see I think. Museums and such aren't my thing, but I like architecture and seeing the local life.
It's a very nice city. Generally very friendly and the architecture is nice. Plenty of big old buildings to check out. It's got some big old parks and the layout of the city is fascinating. The center is built on a massive slope and there there are some big gulches in the ground in the more suburban areas. You will notice there is a big contrast between the centre and the industrial/residential areas. Unlike a lot of city centres Edinburgh seems to have a lot of old buildings rather than big skyscrapers and more modern things.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
orangeban said:
It's a very nice city. Generally very friendly and the architecture is nice. Plenty of big old buildings to check out. It's got some big old parks and the layout of the city is fascinating. The center is built on a massive slope and there there are some big gulches in the ground in the more suburban areas. You will notice there is a big contrast between the centre and the industrial/residential areas. Unlike a lot of city centres Edinburgh seems to have a lot of old buildings rather than big skyscrapers and more modern things.
Yup, now I HAVE to go there.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Whether or not it is "right" depends on your perspective, but it is generally seen as a good deed. Personally, I don't give for the same reasons most people stated. Don't know what they'll do with it, don't know if they're really in need, etc... Also, my city happens to be one of those where people make a career out of being homeless. Young, able-bodied individuals with a weekly strategy for which corner they'll beg on at what time of day.

If you really want to help the homeless, I think one of the best things you can do is volunteer your time at a center that provides for them. Soup kitchens and shelters can be eye-opening, especially when you see the homeless families.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I think it's better to donate to charities rather than directly to the homeless on the street.
It's just probably more secure...

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
I support giving a beggar money becuase, at the end of the day, who really cares if they're going to buy some smokes or drugs with it? If they're addicts, depriving them of those things is basically just mental torture. After a few people give money, you'll have them buying the food they need, after they're done indulging on drugs.

Besides, I can tell half the people here would end up spending that money on beer, smokes or drugs, anyway...

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I never have any money to spare to give them. So usually I'll smoke a cig with them and have a chat. They talk about the weirdest things, and its always awkward to get a move on. Though I think it really brightens their day to be treated like a human being.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
That Guy Who Phails said:
Funny how I've never seen a street beggar outside the US, innit?
Just a small thing.

Hawaii has a huge problem with homeless people. The jails aren't big enough and they have nowhere on the small islands to go. So they camp out in front of a Wal-mart for a few days, find food, then get to go to jail for a place to stay for two days.

It's a pretty vicious cycle.

Now think about if they were to go to a tourist site and beg...

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
I think this was how it went:

Teach a man how to fish, feed him for a lifetime.
Give a man a fish, he'll come back asking for more.

Personally if I was hopeless I'd be asking for food/water as opposed to money or sell myself like at a shopping center. "Will push trollies for $5" for customers.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Is it right? Yes. Is it legal? Yes. Is it foolish? Maybe. An old teacher of mine taught me one thing: Giving money to beggars is right, because in reality they're not at fault until after they take the money.

Sep 14, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Here's the fun thing: Offer a beggar a meal at a nearby restaurant. Somewhere in the 20 dollar range.

He will not go for it, 9 out of 10 times, and will instead ask for cash. Even if it's only a dollar.

Why? Most beggars are either scam artist, or alcoholics/addicts. Not all, but most. They don't want a sandwich, they want vice.

Try it some time. It blew my mind when my dad showed me.
very true, there is this one spot, i know every single fucker is a scam artist, because they always have at LEAST one person their per day, different person every day, and its in a completely random area where the only thing you do is take a left turn and the fucker stares you down right there. but yeah, everytime a car drives by they randomly get a super bad cough and have old nose blood from picking their nose stained on their face.

off topic: it's not that i don't want to help people..but i have what i have because i work damn hard for it, so you can fuck off if you think i'm just going to give to you what im working every day for.