Is it still worth getting Planescape: Torment?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'm considering getting it, but the problem is I've read up on the storyline already. I know all the twists, who can die and all that. I've also heard the gameplay isn't amazing, and the story is the main reason to play it.

Despite knowing the majority of the storyline, is it still worth a playthrough?

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
yes.
yes.
yes.
yes.
yes.

even if you've spoiled half of it already, the dialogue alone is worth the price on GoG. IF. IF you enjoy the genre then buy that game.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Verzin said:
even if you've spoiled half of it already, the dialogue alone is worth the price on GoG. IF. IF you enjoy the genre then buy that game.
I feel that I've spoiled more than half of it, but either way its only $9.99 on GoG.

Alrighty then, I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
SaintlyTurkey said:
Verzin said:
I feel that I've spoiled more than half of it, but either way its only $9.99 on GoG.

Alrighty then, I'll give it a go. Thanks!
The old infinity engine games are my favorite games in existence. Planescape torment, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale primarily.

Planescape torment is like a lot of games at that time: It's HARD to get into them. you have to give them an hour or two of your time, but after you get used to the graphics and the interface...you get hooked.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Verzin said:
SaintlyTurkey said:
Planescape torment is like a lot of games at that time: It's HARD to get into them. you have to give them an hour or two of your time, but after you get used to the graphics and the interface...you get hooked.
I don't really have a problem with old graphics or clunky interfaces. If anything the only thing I'm worried about is the combat. I much prefer full on turn-based combat à la Fallout 1&2 for these kind of games.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Just get ready to read. A lot.
Seriously, I only played an hour or so before it crashed and refused to work on my old computer and I'd say that around 45 minutes of that was spent listening to people gob off about their life stories.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Just get ready to read. A lot.
Seriously, I only played an hour or so before it crashed and refused to work on my old computer and I'd say that around 45 minutes of that was spent listening to people gob off about their life stories.
yah there is much gabbing.

I am told I am a ludicrously fast reader (or I was once), so walls of text never bothered me much.

when I was younger I mastered the art of speed reading. course...when you spend practically every waking moment reading, that's not too impressive.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
SaintlyTurkey said:
...but either way its only $9.99 on GoG.
If you're willing to be patient, its price seems to drop rather frequently. I actually picked up my copy (along with Baldur's Gate) back when they were doing that buy-one-get-one-free promotion with all D&D-based games.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
There's too much to possibly spoil everything that game throws at you. I just got into it for the first time a year and change ago, and I've already played through it like three times.

Cenobite85

Jan 27, 2012
Despite knowing all the twists, the way the dialog is spoken grabs you. If your playing it for the gameplay you probably wont enjoy it much. Its not bad, just not that impressive.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
The_Lost_King said:
I am stuck in the first dungeon. Seriously I can't get out.
You're stuck in the Mortuary? Why?

Anyway, although a lot of it is counter intuitive, it's worth it. You should use some guides though. Yeah, I said it. Otherwise you might be disgusted and miss too much on the first play through.

You have to get into a certain mindset to enjoy it, but I you do it's a great game.

Dakkon was my favorite character.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Yes, it's a great game. It will definitely feel dated now but it's still a blast and intensely satisfying.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Torment is one of the best games I've played. It will feel clunky and dated now but the story and characterization are absolutely top-notch. Ten bucks on gog.com.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Frission said:
The_Lost_King said:
You're stuck in the Mortuary? Why?

Anyway, although a lot of it is counter intuitive, it's worth it. You should use some guides though. Yeah, I said it. Otherwise you might be disgusted and miss too much on the first play through.

You have to get into a certain mindset to enjoy it, but I you do it's a great game.

Dakkon was my favorite character.
I can't find the exit. I have looked all over and can't find it.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Easiest exit:
Get a finger-bone charm (it's in one of the containers on the top story; might need a key). It'll automatically activate a portal just north of Deionarra's tomb (bottom floor).

Just make sure you learn resurrection from Deionarra first.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I highly doubt everything has been spoiled for you. It's a big plot; even then, there's so much good in between just going around talking to everyone that you'll almost guaranteed to get your money's worth even if you never get past the first act. Get it. Right now.

The_Lost_King said:
Can you just not find a way out the front gate, or can you not get to the front gate?
I think you're having the same problem I did. Y'see, the game is a lot like an adventure game in that certain objects, like stairs, take a lot of waving the mouse around to find, and the game does the Baldur's Gate thing where if you haven't been to part of the map, it looks completely black, so certain parts of an area look like they're not there. If that's you're problem, I'd suggest combing the edges of an area you're stuck in; I know it's a pain in the ass, but most of the game takes place in a big, bustling city, so this issue doesn't really stay with the whole game.

If you can't get out the front gate, consult a walkthrough. This is the kind of game where the gameplay is really just something put in between all the good narrative bits, so feel free to just turn the difficulty all the way down and just plow your way through everything.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
As long as you mentally prepare yourself for it to suddenly become Icewind Dale halfway through, yes play it. It's worth experiencing the way it was intended, spoiled or no.