Is it true One Piece is almost concluding?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I remember hearing around that there is at least 1 or 2 more years of One Piece left until the series finally concludes?

So how close is Luffy and his Crew to finding One Piece, what obsticles are in his way, and is there any hints and latest developments as to what One Piece is?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I've taken a break from following the series, but I read somewhere that Oda planned to make it around 100-120 volumes. So yeah.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
I remember hearing around that there is at least 1 or 2 more years of One Piece left until the series finally concludes?

So how close is Luffy and his Crew to finding One Piece, what obsticles are in his way, and is there any hints and latest developments as to what One Piece is?
About 2 years ago, I read somewhere that Oda admitted the series is about 70% complete. So not sure when it will end. The only one I know that is concluding pretty soon is Fairy Tail.

As for your 2nd question, no, they haven't found it yet. In terms of obstacles, tons of enemies from the Marines, many new major bad guys that Oda has been hyping up or foreshadowing for months or years, we are given a few vague thoughts on what the One Piece is and I think they are pretty close to finding the One Piece.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
It still has years in it left. The Manga is currently in the first arc where the crew is facing off against one of the strongest pirate crews, and there are two others that they have to worry about. Then there are other plot threads that still have to be answered, then there is most likely going to be one final arc after One Piece is found. Most are thinking around another 5 to 10 years at the rate it is going, especially since Oda isn't in his best health so more breaks happen every year.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:

The One Piece will just be something minor that was of value to Roger. Treasure just being something somebody values is one of the major themes of the series.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Last time I've check, I think Oda said it was around 70% in completion. That 70% was at the Doflamingo arc which is currently a couple of arcs ago.
Don't quote me for the source since I can't remember where I read it.

EDIT- Oh wait, I found the links
http://kotaku.com/one-piece-isnt-close-to-finishing-1719451493

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/4u8bsd/one_piece_70_done_new_interview_by_oda/

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Queen Michael said:
I read somewhere that Oda planned to make it around 100-120 volumes. So yeah.
A hundred and twenty volumes at two hundred pages a volume is twenty-four thousand pages.
If One Piece has even twenty-five words per page, than it will be wordier than War and Peace.
If brevity is the soul of wit, than what is this?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
(Minor spoilers!)

Well, the straw hats are currently fighting against one of the four pirate emperors. Unless there are more surprises, there will be 3 more left after this one. And I don't see Luffy fighting to 'beat him' against Shanks. At most it will be a test, to see how much luffy has grown and to see if he really is worthy to be the one to find the One Piece. So I'd say Oda's getting pretty close now.

I'm still wondering what the One Piece actually is. It's impossible that it's simple treasure, considering the manga's themes so far. There have been some pretty nice theories though, like the One Piece having something to do with the ancient weapons. A means to destroy the holy land and the mountain it's on top of, therefore connecting all 4 seas (and also destroying fishman island as predicted by madam Shyarly since it's directly below the holy land. Which also requires the ship Noah to take all the fishmen away from there.) Though that's just a theory based on some vague clues.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
BuildsLegos said:
Plotholes, I don't know. But if that was put into a movie it would feel incredibly rushed. And you'd alienate the anime's/manga's fanbase by skipping over so much character development and basically mashing stories together. Let's just face it, something like One Piece could never be made into a good movie. Too many chapters/episodes with way too much 'important stuff' to put into a movie, or even a trilogy. Heck, every large arc in One Piece could easily be adapted into it's own trilogy. And it would still feel rushed.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
I could never get into the anime / manga .. the art style didn't sit well with me. But I love the characters, and how amazing the arcs have been (only heard short summaries of what happened in them, haven't kept in touch with everything) so I hope One Piece continues to strive until the finale happens so everyone's satisfied.

Please, don't let it end like how Naruto and Bleach ended ... with a very forgettable, OP final boss that just drains the life out of the story. This isn't even including the endings feeling rushed or filled with plot holes because deadlines ... sigh.
I mean, Naruto is still technically going on with Boruto and its ending wasn't that bad, if it was a bit boring. Bleach though, yikes, you could tell by the end the author just didn't care anymore in both the plot and the art style.

OT: I do think One Piece is finally reaching around to its conclusion. Though I still say it's got 3-5 years left. We're finally down to the 4 Great Emperors and probably most of the character's goals will be completed during/after they are defeated. After that I say they'll probably join the Rebellion since that side story has been happening for a long time without the main party directly interacting so I say the final arc will be a World Government vs Rebellion race to the One Piece. I will say the second half of One Piece is much better read at once than read week-to-week. Oda has gotten a bit too backstory crazy and we waste too many chapters on minor characters getting a chapter to their backstory. While that is cool reading it at once, did we really need Baby Pink's backstory? It doesn't play any role afterwards and basically wastes a week.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
BuildsLegos said:
xaszatm said:
Oda has gotten a bit too backstory crazy and we waste too many chapters on minor characters getting a chapter to their backstory. While that is cool reading it at once, did we really need Baby Pink's backstory? It doesn't play any role afterwards and basically wastes a week.
That's nothing, the Tarakata tribe added literally nothing to the Dresrosa conflict -that felt entirely complete with the gladiators, former toy slaves, and pirates all converging against Doflamingo.
True, that entire tribe was pretty much "Usopp needs something to do" and "Let me callback an old character". Honestly, the Dresrosa arc is a lot better to read once the whole arc was complete but week-by-week it was a slog, a slog not helped by the fact that half the crew was gone for about a year in real time. I'm really hoping after this arc they keep the main crew as one.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Fun fact: Tite Kubo was going to end Bleach a lot sooner, but had received a letter from one of his fans. The boy was going to die because the medicine no longer helped fight off his disease, and had only a year or so to live ... so, he requested Kubo to please continue making the series. While I believe Kubo should of placed more passion / thought into the finale, he did drag it on for one person.

Sadly, the boy also revealed that Kubo was free to share this story when the boy passes away. Well, since we heard about it- you can guess what ended up happening with the patient. If you'd like proof, you can read more about it here:

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/18/bleach-creator-reveals-emotional-story-about-the-mangas-end/
I doubt it was only the boy's request that made Kubo continue. I think the manga being very popular and shounen jump not wanting to lose it just yet also had to do with it.

But yea, if I remember correctly the original idea was supposedly to have it end after the save Rukia ark? Or was it after the Aizen ark? I really hope it wasn't after the Aizen ark...as Aizen started out as a wonderful, smart villain. That used planning instead of brute force. Yet in the end he started to just rely on brute force as well.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Last time I've check, I think Oda said it was around 70% in completion. That 70% was at the Doflamingo arc which is currently a couple of arcs ago.
Don't quote me for the source since I can't remember where I read it.

EDIT- Oh wait, I found the links
http://kotaku.com/one-piece-isnt-close-to-finishing-1719451493

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/4u8bsd/one_piece_70_done_new_interview_by_oda/
A lot of people including myself believe that " One Piece " Is the Unified ocean. And a plan instigated by the ancient kingdom during the Void Century.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:

here's the thing about writers. They change their minds a lot. Really the length of one piece will be determined by two things. It's continued audience appeal and Oda having fun with the story. That's it.

And Oda still looks like he's having fun. Remember finding one piece could be the kick off to another grand adventure. That's what the story is about. Adventure and excitement and strange places. The goal is irrelevant to the journey.