Is it true that bear killed by the m1895 nagant revolver?

AlSabbah-Almuhmat

Nov 20, 2015
I read some article that in tsarian Russian some bears were killed by m1895 nagant revolve. Is it possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCXSDbZ92JM - part #2 - Nagant VS Bears really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh1mojMaEtM - Good Nagant review

Where to buy russian m1895 nagant revolver?
I want to buy m1895 nagant revolver after watching video how the bear was killed with this handgun. Heard its price over 300$. Could the revolver kill a bear??? Should I buy it?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Uh, I guess it could happen? Any decent caliber gun could probably do it with great shot placement, but shot placement is pretty hard against a charging bear.

A better question is, why would you want to buy an antique pistol from the 19th century for the sake of killing bears... :S

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
It's not impossible to kill a bear with a handgun, even an under powered one, but it's not typical, and one should not get into a confrontation with a bear and think 'I can totally win this with my revolver.'

Then again, perhaps you just shouldn't get into a confrontation with a bear.

If you're hellbent on getting a 'super' revolver, it may be advisable to get a new model. Ammunition has come a long way, and the M1895 is an old gun (And also more mechanically complicated then your average revolver). Revolvers that use the S&W .500 are probably the most powerful hand guns in the world, and the .454 Casull isn't far behind that. A lot of .454 revolvers can also load smaller, cheaper rounds as well, for more economic shooting.

Now, all of that being said - Don't get a revolver to fight a bear. If you're new to shooting, then that's another conversation, as large caliber revolvers are NOT good first guns. If you just want a big gun for the sake of having a big gun, and don't have experience with firearms (Which you don't seem to have), and only want to get a big gun... then you probably shouldn't get any gun at all.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
It's a neat ol' revolver, but it's hardly a magic bear killing device. You might as well try your luck with an old Colt or Husqvarna. If you want a revolver with bear-stopping potential (assuming you're American), get a contemporary large-caliber one. Ask for simplicity and reliability, and you're good. Bears are tough, and handguns are not a good bet, generally.

If you're really worried about bears, a .308 hunting rifle (or "elk-bouncer", as I know 'em) is probably a better idea.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Anyone else read the thread title and OP in the voice of Mikhail from Psychonauts? Because I cannot read the words "Russian" and "Bear" in the same sentence and not hear his voice.