Is Max Payne 3 best Rockstar game ever made?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello,

So my friend, recently i replayed max payne 3 and then i compare to two type of games. the original max payne game and rockstar games.

When i compare it to original max payne game. it fall flat and cannot hold candle against max payne 1. it has no noire, no comic book, too many cutscenes etc

however when i compare it to other rockstar games (GTA, RDR) its miles ahead of those games. especially in a terms of gameplay mechanics.

GTA games are imo most overrated games of all time and never did anything other than world right. max payne 3 on other hand has excellent shooting and movement. plus its only rockstar game that doesnot get boring after hours. cant say same for other games.

Red dead is another rockstar game i think is good mainly because of western setting. otherwise it would be mediocre game. but max payne 3 is imo best thing rockstar ever made.

what do you think? is it best rockstar game ever made?

discuss

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
The last rockstar game I played was Grand Theft Auto 2.
Overall, pretty good at the time. Loads of fun.
It gets my vote!

Wait! I did play Oni and the first Max payne a little bit and they were both released 2 years after GTA II.
Both of those were quite good, but GTA II still gets my vote.
Oni gets second place.

*EDIT* I was hasty. Neither the first Max Payne or Oni were made by Rockstar.
They were just listed in their games section on wikipedia. Mea Culpa.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Vendor-Lazarus said:
It gets my vote!

Wait! I did play Oni and the first Max payne a little bit and they were both released 2 years after GTA II.
Oni gets second place.
The first Max Payne game was made by Remedy Entertainment, Rockstar only published the PS2 port. In fact I think Max Payne 3 is the only game in the series both developed and published by Rockstar.

Best Rockstar game, in order: 1) GTA III/Vice City, 2) Red Dead Redemption, 3) Bully, 4) Max Payne 3, 5) The Warriors.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
It gets my vote!

Oni gets second place.
The first Max Payne game was made by Remedy Entertainment, Rockstar only published the PS2 port. In fact I think Max Payne 3 is the only game in the series both developed and published by Rockstar.

Best Rockstar game, in order: 1) GTA III/Vice City, 2) Red Dead Redemption, 3) Bully, 4) Max Payne 3, 5) The Warriors.
I will fight you in thinking GTA III is the best game ever.

I can't for the life of me understand why when the sequals have improved upon it tenfold.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
It gets my vote!

Oni gets second place.

I won't. Knock yourself out.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
It gets my vote!

Oni gets second place.

I won't. Knock yourself out.
Let me write to you my Old Review abridged:

Its Boring, Characters you meet are completely forgettable, Main Antagonist sucks, the City was bad and unmemorable and did not feel like New York, There is no Map so you might get lost in this game, Radio Music was crap mostly popular music from the 2000s and the 2000s was when Popular Music was at its worse, The Controls were terrible especially if you played the PS2 version, Combat is terrible, Gunplay is shit and Melee Combat is flat out useless. The Game is just Ball-busting HARD. Mission are so bullshit in GTA 3.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...because this conversation hasn't played out a million times already.

Anyway, I can rank the Rockstar games I've played as thus:

3) Grand Theft Auto/Grand Theft Auto II (been so long since I've played them, they merge together in my mind)
2) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
1) Grand Theft Auto III

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
It gets my vote!

Oni gets second place.

I can't for the life of me understand why when the sequals have improved upon it tenfold.
One of those few times we agree.

I mean, I think GTAIII is better than Max Payne, but even GTAIV is better than 3, primarily due to the gameplay advancements.

San Andreas would be my vote for best GTA. I liked V, but SA tried to push the series forward more, and I wish they would have built more upon that.

Vice City had the best setting and characters. As a game, SA is better, but its plot got weird. You start off as a gang member, but when I was hijacking a train in the middle of a mountain forest for the CIA or something...I went "How the hell did I get here!?"

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
Max Payne 3 is pretty up top on my list.
But Chinatown Wars is an overlooked gem.
I demand a sequel to CW, but it's not gonna happen i'm afraid.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Smithnikov said:
Not even close to Bully or Manhunt.
Bully was such an underrated gem. Great voice acting, interesting and actually kind of funny commentary (unlike a lot of the heavy handed GTA stuff) and a really decent soundtrack.

Plus being able to kiss girls and dudes briefly made a bunch of religious busy bodies lose their shit, so bonus points there.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Oni gets second place.
That was Rockstar?

Huh.

Well, that's my pick then. Definitely the Rockstar game I got the most fun out of.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saelune said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
It gets my vote!

Oni gets second place.

One of those few times we agree.

I mean, I think GTAIII is better than Max Payne, but even GTAIV is better than 3, primarily due to the gameplay advancements.

San Andreas would be my vote for best GTA. I liked V, but SA tried to push the series forward more, and I wish they would have built more upon that.

Vice City had the best setting and characters. As a game, SA is better, but its plot got weird. You start off as a gang member, but when I was hijacking a train in the middle of a mountain forest for the CIA or something...I went "How the hell did I get here!?"

And now we come back in disagreeing. I wasn't fond of the charcaters in Vice City because of how one note they are. I don't know why I just think the characters from San Andreas and onwards are more interesting and developed probably because you still do missions with them even till the end of the game.

I mean name a character from Vice City that isn't Lance Vance and Tommy Vercitti and the Jewish Lawyer guy that is a parody of the charcater Sean Penn plays as in Carlito's Way?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Chewster said:
Smithnikov said:
Bully was such an underrated gem. Great voice acting, interesting and actually kind of funny commentary (unlike a lot of the heavy handed GTA stuff) and a really decent soundtrack.

Plus being able to kiss girls and dudes briefly made a bunch of religious busy bodies lose their shit, so bonus points there.
Bully is a game I am interested in trying out.

Is it a Sandbox like GTA and Red Dead Redemption?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Chewster said:
Smithnikov said:

Not to mention I really liked Jimmy as a protagonist. He was the perfect blend of kinda mercenary but also sympathetic and having at least some hero in him.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
Chewster said:
Smithnikov said:

If you can compare it to anything, it feels more like RDD than GTA. It's sandboxy, but you have to get a little ways in for everything to open up.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Zhukov said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Oni gets second place.
That was Rockstar?

Huh.

Well, that's my pick then. Definitely the Rockstar game I got the most fun out of.
i looked it up an bungie west was the dev and rockstar was the publisher on the ps2 version

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Chewster said:
Smithnikov said:

It is. Sort of like GTA-Lite, if anything. The violence is toned down because you're a 15-year-old kid at a shitty boarding school and you ride around on a bike and skateboard instead of driving. But it's hella fun and the New England setting is unique if not much smaller that the HD GTA games.

Definitely worth playing though.