Is MGS5 best open world game this generation?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Even B-Cell admits the game would had been better without being open world, and yet he claims it's the best at it than the rest of the games for reasons that aren't related to being open world whatsoever. OP's title should be "I like MGS5 more than any other open world game for its non-open world features".

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:
i dont need anyones opinion
Yet you keep regurgitating that guy's opinion. Grow up buddy.
Not enough shooty shooty bang bang, talking makes brain hurt, just want to shoot guys, Too many women, needs more manly shooting, crossbow sucky weapon, bang bang!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
CritialGaming said:
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:

Not enough shooty shooty bang bang, talking makes brain hurt, just want to shoot guys, Too many women, needs more manly shooting, crossbow sucky weapon, bang bang!
It suddenly makes sense why someone would think the Witcher 3 is a bad game - There was certainly less 'banging' in it than the previous games!

...I'll just leave now.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So it's the best open-world game this gen, because gameplay mechanics... Suuuuuure.
stroopwafel said:
Would disagree about HZD. The inventory management drags that game down so much. It's atleast one thing MGS5 did better. In HZD 90% is running and plucking. You're always hitting the square button or holding the square button; plucking, plucking, plucking. Always plucking. If that process was automated(or more rewarding by receiving way more wood per pluck) and the world more compact so that focus would be completely on the combat HZD would have been more enjoyable. The fights against those machines could get genuinely awesome.
Once you realize you only need pick twigs and health herbs (along with whatever you can loot from enemies) gathering is not that demanding.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
This article [http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/11745-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-has-the-best-open-world] basically hits the nail on the head with the statement: . The size and scope of the two main maps ? Afghanistan and Africa ? allow for more gameplay possibilities, whereas the size and scope of other open worlds allow for more sidequests and padded content.

That?s the main difference between MGSV and other (more literal) ?open world? games. Few other games have the capacity to indulge the player?s imagination nearly as much.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
This article [http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/11745-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-has-the-best-open-world] basically hits the nail on the head with the statement: . The size and scope of the two main maps ? Afghanistan and Africa ? allow for more gameplay possibilities, whereas the size and scope of other open worlds allow for more sidequests and padded content.

That?s the main difference between MGSV and other (more literal) ?open world? games. Few other games have the capacity to indulge the player?s imagination nearly as much.
The gameplay possibilities aren't a result of the open-world though, but of it being a Metal Gear Solid game. MGS has always had a ton of different things you could horse around with. MGS5 gave you a mostly 360 degree approach to enemy camps, but whether that was worth the pretty boring open-world is debatable.

Ground Zeroes felt way more structured and "charismatic", lacking the dead spaces and plain visuals of Phantom Pain's open-world, while still giving you a wide enough area to fool around in. I would've much rather had a linear game with GZ sized maps to infiltrate.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3 kick it to the kerb. When Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes out likely it will get kicked even harder

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:
Then why do you keep asking for them. Why does everything you post always end with "what do you think" and "discuss".
Not to defend him at all, but isn?t discussion value kind of a prerequisite for thread creation these days?

OT - haven?t played it yet, is another game in the backlog. I will say though that I felt TW3 has the most full and alive open world that I can remember ever playing in. Can?t really think of many ways to improve on what CDPR did with that game.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Not even close. Horizon Zero Dawn is an open world game that actually requires it's open world. MGS5 could've been filled with linear mini-sandbox levels like say a Dishonored.

Casual Shinji said:
stroopwafel said:
Would disagree about HZD. The inventory management drags that game down so much. It's atleast one thing MGS5 did better. In HZD 90% is running and plucking. You're always hitting the square button or holding the square button; plucking, plucking, plucking. Always plucking. If that process was automated(or more rewarding by receiving way more wood per pluck) and the world more compact so that focus would be completely on the combat HZD would have been more enjoyable. The fights against those machines could get genuinely awesome.
Once you realize you only need pick twigs and health herbs (along with whatever you can loot from enemies) gathering is not that demanding.
Pretty much. I do wish Aloy just auto picked up the health herbs because why would you ever not want them vs the other plants actually filling up your inventory. Plus, you can even buy the "rare" drops so you don't have to farm the enemies.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
distortedreality said:
Not to defend him at all, but isn?t discussion value kind of a prerequisite for thread creation these days?

OT - haven?t played it yet, is another game in the backlog. I will say though that I felt TW3 has the most full and alive open world that I can remember ever playing in. Can?t really think of many ways to improve on what CDPR did with that game.
It because of this, "i dont need anyones opinion to see if witcher 3 is mediocre or not. and it is. its controlling with KB/M absolutely suck, its combat suck, its story is booring, and has too much dialogues. i mean waayy too much. that it feel like talking simulator"

You post a thread in the hopes of starting a discussion or a conversation at very least, yet he doesn't really offer anything to discuss. There are no counter points, no reasoning, no logic, nothing more than saying shit for what can only be the sake of trolling or genuine lack of ability to hold a dialog in any way, shape, or form.

And yeah it grates on some nerves especially when people pretty much already know what he will say on any given topic. A good game needs to have manly men, shooting other manly men, with some story but not too much. Although he often also flip flops on which mechanics he likes on any given day.

What annoys me is that sometimes his topics are really good, it's all the follow-up discussion that just go nowhere and make no sense.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
B-Cell said:
Then why do you keep asking for them. Why does everything you post always end with "what do you think" and "discuss".
Silly silly Johnny. You know he'll NEVER answer that one hahahaha

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
CritialGaming said:
Adam Jensen said:
B-Cell said:
But doesn't women boobs?

Should hold B-Cell's attention for at least a while

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Phoenixmgs said:
I do wish Aloy just auto picked up the health herbs because why would you ever not want them vs the other plants actually filling up your inventory. Plus, you can even buy the "rare" drops so you don't have to farm the enemies.
I don't mind having to manually pick the herbs, but the health system should've been tweaked so it doesn't necessitate you having to go foraging for herbs after almost every battle. Though I wouldn't have minded an auto-pick ability when riding a mount, where you can just ride over a herb to instantly snatch it up. Not only would this circumvent having to get on and off your mount in order to forage, it would make them even more appealing than they already are as a faster way to forage. Maybe something they could implement in the sequel -- Guerilla, if you're listening...

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Not by a country mile, which coincidentally is the usual stretch of land in this game between points of genuine fucking interest.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The problem with MGSV's "open world" is that it is entirely devoid of any worthwhile landmarks.

I enjoy the gameplay, and how the large map is utilised to complete your objectives, but its just super boring to explore.

At least with TW3, there were a lot of interesting and memorable locations to visit and explore. MGSV is just brown.

You can have the best story or gameplay in the world, but if your map is boring, it may as well just be procedural, because im not going to remember it. Skyrim is a good example of the opposite, in that the world has great landmarks, and is fantastic to explore, but there is little to actually do in its world.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
stroopwafel said:
Zhukov said:
Nah, Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn both shit all over it.
Would disagree about HZD. The inventory management drags that game down so much. It's atleast one thing MGS5 did better.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that aspect either.

They really should have consolidated the weapons so they all fit on the selection wheel at once. We didn't need three kinds of arrows that just do regular damage, we didn't need three kinds of explosive trip mines when the ones with the wires are objectively better, we didn't need both sticky and non-sticky bombs and we sure as fuck didn't need harvest arrows.

However, I'll gladly take swapping out bows and selling/dropping junk every so ofen over MGS5's goddamn base and resource management.

In HZD 90% is running and plucking. You're always hitting the square button or holding the square button; plucking, plucking, plucking. Always plucking. If that process was automated(or more rewarding by receiving way more wood per pluck) and the world more compact so that focus would be completely on the combat HZD would have been more enjoyable. The fights against those machines could get genuinely awesome.
Those parts I didn't mind so much. The world was so ridiculously pretty that I often enjoyed travelling through it. Scavenging for health plants, while hardly thrilling, gave me something to do between point A and point B. Although I agree that having Alloy auto-harvest them instead of having to press a button would have been an improvement, especially when you're on a mount.

The travelling did wear on me by the late game though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MGS5 could have been a great game had Konami deigned to let Kojima finish it.

The funny part is that people - apparently - still take TC seriously. I would have thought that everyone around here would have learned by now, but apparently not.

The formula:
"Here's my opinion that goes completely against the general consensus (most likely deliberately just to get a rise out of people), now lets have a discussion about it! Oh, btw: everything you say is completely, definitely wrong for no other reason than 'because I said so'."