is my nephew wasting his life?

Hauntghost20

Dec 5, 2010
okay i have a 11 year old nephew who said when he was 9 that he wanted to make games since i am a part time game deleveloper i know that starting can be hard so fast foward back to 2011 he is over weight and everyother sterytypical traits that a nerd sould have BUT! he is almost expert at 3d GML devloment knows python off by heart and HTML he just finshed downloading c++ so should i stop him?

(sorry for grammer)

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Basically, what you're saying is that you're afraid, so you don't want to let him follow his dreams?

How many shots do we get at life? If there's more than one, its news to me. Isn't it worth it then, to take a gamble. You've only got one life, and all of us die eventually. What a shame to live a life where you never even tried to do what you wanted to do with your life. You shouldn't stop him, you should encourage him. If you're right (and you probably are) that the road to game development is going to be hard for him, then what he needs is people to support him, not people to hold him back.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Maybe get him to exercise, but stop him no and why? Kids always shoot for fantasy jobs and this one isn't even as far fetched as astronaut. Right now it sounds like he's putting more effort into his future then any kids I know and even if he doesn't become a game developer, he still has a skill set that cold laid him a large number of jobs.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Well I don't see why he can't be a game developer, especially if he is adept at such things. However, being overweight at such a young age can be a problem no matter what their dream may be. That is just my health kick side talking.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
He's 11, give him some time to do what he likes, though you may want to encourage him to get a bit of exercise.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
no? Why does being a nerd matter? Overweight may be a concern, but you can stay physically fit and be a programmer.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
Why the hell would you stop your nephew from preparing for his future?! Encourage him! Find out what classes, if any, are available at his school that'll increase his skills even more. Hell, I'm going to two schools this year, my regular high school for the core classes, and a "career technical centre" to take a video game design course. Coincidentally, your nephew and I share a dream of designing games.

Captcha: sɔıuıןɔ veriani
Fuck you, captcha.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
If you ask me, it sounds like he has a lot on the ball. I wish I knew all that programming stuff, so since he knows it, what's wrong with it? I once tried to learn programming, but I didn't have a real teacher (in retrospect, it was blatantly obvious; "Learn C++ in 21 days" would have been a better teacher) and I was 12 or so. I do make maps for Source games and I have done some coding for mods for Oblivion and Cortex Command, so I can't complain that much. Maybe one of these days when I have time ...

Anyway, the only thing I would worry about is his weight, as it can lead to complications in the future. Other than that, I would be proud of him. :)

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
If it means anything, I started learning programming languages when I was 8 and I'm currently working at Microsoft. So no, I wouldn't stop him.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
He's only eleven, he can't be wasting his life yet and he still has a while before he needs to be sure what he wants to do with the rest of it.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
So let me get this straight, he's actually producing something while being only eleven?

I don't know bout you, but to me that seems to be just about the opposite of wasting your life.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Wasting his life? He's 11! The only thing that needs to be changed is his weight. In my opinion anyway.
Saelune said:
If you're happy, you are not wasting your life.
Bingo. Mix in some responsibility into that and we have a solid answer.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I'm not sure I see the problem, the kid's 11 years old. Hell I'm 22 and I just figured out what I really liked to do for a job a couple years ago. I mean if you're concerned with his weight then that's a bit more valid, get the kid to exercise a bit instead of staying glued to the computer. And if he's already becoming good at developing programs then I would suggest encouragement more than anything.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
If you're concerned about his weight, try to get him interested in exercise and healthy eating. Also keep in mind that he might grow into his weight seeing as he's yet to hit puberty (most likely).
and, if he's already pursuing his dreams and goals, let him go for it. Even if he doesn't make it as a game creator/developer, the skills he's learning now will open up other possible career paths.

Aug 1, 2010
Holy crap, I want to BE this person!

That much computer experience by age 11 is pretty awesome. All he has to do is eat well and walk more and he will officially be my new idol.

Hauntghost20

Dec 5, 2010
okay i just talked to him and then his freind came over so there playing outside finally i am making a blogger for him to update his game develoment through game maker then you will be able to look at his progress his just doing simple games even tohugh he can do some 3d stuff

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I'll bet he won't end up being a game dev anyhow, and if he does, who cares?
And it's 2011 right now, for the record.