is my taste in music good?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Chris Kolbeck said:
i have been arguing about my taste in music with a few guys, so i have to check if i was right.
is my taste in music good or bad?
i like the killers, coldplay, onerepublic and gorillaz.
i like more but htose are my faves
Well, I for one like Coldplay but nothing else from that list, but what I think or what anyone thinks for that matter is completely irrelevant.

Who gives a shit what other people think about your music tastes? If they don't like it and that's a problem for them, fuck 'em.

RivFader86

Jul 3, 2009
Is my taste in music good????...ok here is how you can answer this question for yourself....stretch out your right hand....look at it....smack yourself.

Resurrectionist

Feb 17, 2010
Chris Kolbeck said:
i have been arguing about my taste in music with a few guys, so i have to check if i was right.
Nothing to brag about.
Not exactly stellar genre changing music or very original.
i.e., not 'ground breaking.'
But I'm a working musician, so what do I know.
As long is you can name all the members of the band, what their influences are,
and who wrote what song;
then your knowledgeable enough about your music to pass muster.

Music is art, and therefore subjective.

I'm a bit older therefore my taste runs along these lines:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Grateful Dead
The Who
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Van Halen (With David)
The Doors
The Eagles
The Clash
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Queen
Creedence Clearwater Rival
Black Sabbath
The Police
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
AC/DC
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
The Ramones
The Allman Brothers
Sex Pistols
Rush
The Kinks
The Band
KISS
Pearl Jam
Aerosmith
R.E.M.
Deep Purple
Cream
Rage Against the Machine
Sly and the Family Stone
The Velvet Underground
The Byrds
Rolling Stones
Stone Temple Pilots
Guns n? Roses
ZZ Top
Foreigner
The Animals
YES
Tool
Nine Inch Nails
The Cure
Boston
Iron Maiden
Motorhead
Judas Priest
Alice in Chains
U2
Audioslave
Motley Crue
The Misfits
Jethro Tull

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
BonsaiK said:
Chris Kolbeck said:
Well I don't consider it good but that's irrelevant.

The basic rule is this: if you like it, it's awesome. If you don't, it sucks.

Music is 100% subjective.
One hundred percent agree. It was what I was going to say, but you beat me to it.

AWDMANOUT

Jan 4, 2010
Never heard of onerepublic, but I like all those other bands (ESPECIALLY Killers).

You have my thumbs up :D

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Chris Kolbeck said:
If you have to ask, that means your questioning your own taste. Taste in music being entirely subjective, if you have room in your skull to wonder about your own taste, I think that's a pretty good indication that your taste isn't very good.
From my own subjective opinion, I can't judge your music, because I've never heard of any of those bands.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
i like them too but that's not what i came to say^^
There's no such thing as good music.. whatever takes you to "that places" is awesome. So if some dude wanna kick back with Westlife that's all right as long as i'm no within listening range.

I personally enjoy alot of music which most people consider boring :p (Blues, new age classic, classic, Jazz(= )

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
Trivun said:
While we're on the subject, is there anyone else here aside from me who likes the Klaxons? I really got into them a while back after 'Totem on the Timeline' and 'Golden Skans', then I spent more time today listening to 'It's Not Over Yet' on Radio 1 than I did actual revision this afternoon. And yet so few people who I know are fans of those guys... :(
And I thought I was the only one who had ever heard of them. This just made my day. I heard Gravity's Rainbow in Tony Hawk: Project 8 and discovered them through it. Amazing band with impressively good songs. Wish more groups had sounds so different.

Also, OP, you seem to be asking this not because you care whether we like those bands or not, but because you have discovered the amazing world of music and want to find more music that interests or inspires you. I'll be honest, pick up a copy of Guitar Hero or Rock Band and play through all the songs. Find some sounds that you like and go off of those. That's how I discovered good music, and it branched out into other genres, too. Eventually led me to embracing alternative hip-hop and chiptune. You just need a good start-off point.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
dsmops2003 said:
Don't you know you have to listen to what the mass media wants you to. Otherwise your not cool. Follow the trend [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opyVdN8GZtc]...
THE TREND, IS FUCKING, DEAD!

Jun 26, 2009
what music you listen too is your choice as long as its not 'chav' music as call it or any of that teenage girl crap i ain't got no problem but i prefer rock and metal.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Chris Kolbeck said:
I also like The Killers, Coldplay and Gorillaz. But as people said, it's your personal opinion, If you like those bands why does it matter what people think about them. It's what you are in to.

Ziltoid

Sep 29, 2009
D Bones said:
Music is very subjective. Some people think Animal Collective is a good band....
....How dare you.

OT pretty much what everyone else says, although I do think you need to branch out a bit more. The bands you listed are not particularly adventurous with their music.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Well almost everyone likes music of some sort (im not sure if i shud say everyone cus you never know!) but everyones music taste is different! I can only give you my opinion on your music taste (but it also doesnt matter!) - Killers are good, Coldplay are good, havent heard of One Republic and Gorillaz are all right =P

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Music is subjective, so it doesn't really matter what other people think about the music you listen to.

Virus0015

Dec 1, 2009
Good taste is a bit of a myth, however I have my reservations about bands that just re-use shit over and over again in a different sequence. I personally can't stand most music made after the eighties, I hate all types of electronic, dance music, hip hop and rap. I'm pretty much blues and rock all the way.

The only thing I have a problem with is people playing music out loud when they aren't welcome, and I also find that I can't go to music based social events (discos etc.) because I'll kill myself after hearing the music for 5 minutes.

So yes, very much subjective, don't be put off by other people's thoughts.