Is Naruto hated or something?

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
Hey everyone, I've just recently started making a comeback in the anime scene, after enjoying Persona 4 and Sword Art Online. I started watching Glass Reflection reviews on Youtube and I noticed frequent jabs at the Naruto franchise and I remembered seeing mean-spirited comments aimed at the show on forums before.

I used to watch it when I was like twelve or something, along with Bleach and Samurai Shampoo and thought it was pretty cool. I even picked up that Full Burst game and it's very good.

So my question is: "is the show hated or something and for what reasons?"

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well, i've never seen it myself but i think you will find the reason why it's not taken very seriously in you own post: You watched it when you were twelve. I think it's widely considered to be for kids and younger teens and too childish for most adults.

Pixelspeech

Sep 30, 2013
True as that may be, we're seeing more and more forms of entertainment that are made "for kids" become favorites of adults. Could it be something more fundamental?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I think it is disliked because of the massive amounts of filler episodes. I've never watched it myself, but a friend who has complained about fillers. He said between every arc there is about five to ten episodes of pointless filler. He also said they spend way to much time talking, this is coming from a guy who loves Dragonball Z as well.

But like I said, I've never watched it. So this is all second-hand opinions.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I have a friend who used to be a huge Naruto fan, so I used to read Naruto to be able to understand what she was talking about. But now she's gone over to being a huge Homestuck fan, which is great since I actually like Homestuck. What I dislike about Naruto (apart from the way Kishimoto seems to think that the perfect way to create a character is to make them completely one-dimensional and then show us some point in their past when they were sad,) is that the final story arc, which is going on in the manga right now, is so drawn-out that it's just insanely boring. I know that not everything has to be fast-paced, but it seems like nothing happens! The slowness of that story arc is the reason why my friend isn't a Naruto fan anymore. And she used to be devoted.

I don't even read Naruto anymore. Take a look under my username. See how many manga books I've read? You can't read that much manga if you're picky about quality. That I gave up on Naruto says something about how awful it's become.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
The filler is a problem, it wasn't so much of a problem pre time skip but afterwards it seems like every other episode is filler. Then you have the ninja war which is being handled so poorly, honestly I'm at the point where I only keep reading so I can finish because I feel like I have invested so much time time into it.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Well, most of those people, presumably older audiences, don't really like shounen, or at least don't like the typical cliches of shounen, and shows like Naruto and Bleach fits into many of the thing that people dislike about the genre. Younger anime audiences would probably enjoy it, though.

As for me, I've only seen the first couple of episodes when I was younger, and lost interest. I don't hate the series like most people, but I have zero interest in watching it. I like shounen alright, as there are quite a few series that I like, but I'm not a fan of the Shounen Jump stuff, with the exception of Death Note. They're just not my thing.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Naruto had a massive drop in quality in the recent years, as Kishimoto doesn't seem to give a shit anymore. Otherwise, it's a manga of inconsistent quality.

Although, I think it's mostly hated because of the community because popular things (especially with large younger fan bases, like Naruto) tend to have very vocal and sufficiently large groups of horrible people.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I suppose I bowed out when it hit issue... 500? It was a round 00 number anyway because it was getting boring and I didn't give a fuck about any of the new characters they were introducing. It was the start of a ninja war arc thing. Like Bleach it's dragging on too far simply because it's a huge cash cow that they refuse to stop until they have milked everything to death.

At least I had a reason to quit Bleach. The end of the Aizen arc was fucking retarded

"Lol I can effortlessly God Mode the entire cast at once"

"Lol my right hand man stabbed me in the back, lol jk get rekt"

After writing themselves into a corner they noticed Aizen was so ludicrously powerful that nothing convincing would defeat him.

Suddenly, infinite training time for Ichigo lol instakilled lol

Fuck off.

Then they start another arc, for the love of god! The end of that arc would have set up a solid ending to the entire manga if they had done it right.

I guess people grow higher standards when they get older. I was slightly miffed when I did to be honest, I actually had to go out of my way to find the good stuff.

I need to jump onto an anime news site ship, I'm going on rumour, hearsay, /a/ and whatever people mention is good on this site and 'Scapist isn't the most anime centric site now is it?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
chaser5000 said:
Then you have the ninja war which is being handled so poorly, honestly I'm at the point where I only keep reading so I can finish because I feel like I have invested so much time time into it.
Preach, friend. It's a serious case of ending fatigue. I guess at some point I'll read the last stuff. Maybe.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
The Wykydtron said:
I suppose I bowed out when it hit issue... 500? It was a round 00 number anyway because it was getting boring and I didn't give a fuck about any of the new characters they were introducing. It was the start of a ninja war arc thing. Like Bleach it's dragging on too far simply because it's a huge cash cow that they refuse to stop until they have milked everything to death.

At least I had a reason to quit Bleach. The end of the Aizen arc was fucking retarded

"Lol I can effortlessly God Mode the entire cast at once"

"Lol my right hand man stabbed me in the back, lol jk get rekt"

After writing themselves into a corner they noticed Aizen was so ludicrously powerful that nothing convincing would defeat him.

Suddenly, infinite training time for Ichigo lol instakilled lol

Fuck off.

Then they start another arc, for the love of god! The end of that arc would have set up a solid ending to the entire manga if they had done it right.

I guess people grow higher standards when they get older. I was slightly miffed when I did to be honest, I actually had to go out of my way to find the good stuff.

I need to jump onto an anime news site ship, I'm going on rumour, hearsay, /a/ and whatever people mention is good on this site and 'Scapist isn't the most anime centric site now is it?
I didn't find the end of the Aizen arc all that bad, now the Fullbringer arc was retarded I got like 3 chapters into that and just went fuck it Bleach ended with Aizen. I've heard they are on the final arc now about evil Quincys or something.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Elfgore said:
I think it is disliked because of the massive amounts of filler episodes. I've never watched it myself, but a friend who has complained about fillers. He said between every arc there is about five to ten episodes of pointless filler. He also said they spend way to much time talking, this is coming from a guy who loves Dragonball Z as well.

But like I said, I've never watched it. So this is all second-hand opinions.
Massive amounts of fillers, a similarly sizable number of flashbacks, pacing issues and some rather unfortunate dubbing choices. It gets rather grating, BELIEVE IT!

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
It's the filler, Sasuke hijacking the entire series for a while, new villains being introduced only so they can die to make other characters stronger, the need to flashback to scenes we saw only a few minutes ago or to a point where a villain was depressed when they were young, and the fights coming down to who has the bigger jutsu rather than skill. Well those were my reasons for leaving it.

What's keeping me from going back to it is the gigantic ass-pulls the author does. Some people who were only introduced a few books back end up related to main characters, demonic beasts of rage are now retconnned as beasts who were mind controlled to do stupid shit and every new guy has a super powerful ability that no one ever heard of.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I'd say the two main reasons is a lot of people outgrew it. A lot of people who liked it when they were 12 outgrew it or the second reason is the obsessive fans. I liked it until I started meeting other Naruto fans. I'll just be casually chatting to someone about anime and bring up Naruto and I had one girl go on a giant NarutoxSasuke rant, including showing be pictures of yaoi on her phone. The more people I talked to who were just plain creepy like that made me want to associate less with the series.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The hates for the show are justify. Excluding the fillers, the show has been criticize for hazing character development (Sasuke hatred was no longer justify after this event and Nartuo peace talked pretty much solve everything) and writings and among other stuff aswell. In saying so however any form of criticize can be said in any other media but again I ain't defending the show from those who hate it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
TOO much bloat.

I think Naruto would have have been a decent series, if they hadn't bloated the series.

chaser5000

Sep 11, 2012
Wraith said:
demonic beasts of rage are now retconnned as beasts who were mind controlled to do stupid shit
This and when naruto went super saiyan were the final nail in the coffin for me.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I think people just are annoyed by the sheer mammoth size of it now.

I am indifferent to it, it hasn't QUITE jumped the DB:GT shark yet. And it has continued to expand on it's lore in fairly okayish ways.

Note I only read the manga, I have no idea what spin offs and shit go on. So if you attack it like that it's really not such a bad series. Naruto's grown on me as a character but he does need to stop going on speeches.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Pixelspeech said:
Hey everyone, I've just recently started making a comeback in the anime scene, after enjoying Persona 4 and Sword Art Online. I started watching Glass Reflection reviews on Youtube and I noticed frequent jabs at the Naruto franchise and I remembered seeing mean-spirited comments aimed at the show on forums before.

I used to watch it when I was like twelve or something, along with Bleach and Samurai Shampoo and thought it was pretty cool. I even picked up that Full Burst game and it's very good.

So my question is: "is the show hated or something and for what reasons?"
I'd do yourself the favor and avoid P3trinity, at least if you're a persona fan from the games.

OT: It is by some people, isnt by others, just like all series are. To me I've fallen out of watching it but I would if it was on and if I ever feel the desire I catch up on whats going on. this is mostly from it feel slike they're over reaching and the way sasuke
went from good to evil to good with more or less drops of the hat

Its suffering from that point where shows are just running too long and they're trying to keep interesting (One piece is like this, its far far FAR too long even for where tehy started on adult swim). its a slow start, and you'll hate naruto for a while but once you get deeper past the gaara attack plot and especially into Shippudden it picks up and is worth a follow if youre one of the casual anime fans or more hardcore ones.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I like the first few arcs and still think they're pretty good. I stopped giving a fuck a few arcs into Shippuden, but everything in the first "half" that was before/during the Chunin Exams arc (and the Gaara/Lee/Kimimaro fight as well) was pretty solid.