Is Nintendo essentially hack-proof?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
Both Sony and Microsoft have suffered hacking incidents recently, with some guy deciding he had nothing better to do than shut down Xbox Live, and all of Sony targeted in a massive hack. This is hardly the first time either of these two have been hacked, but Nintendo never has, to my knowledge, at least. Is this because they don't do certain 'modern' practices that the other two do to open themselves up to such an attack, or has nobody just bothered to try?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Hack-proof.....*sigh*....Nothing is "hack-proof". I suppose if Nintendo when down for a bit, people will find other things to do.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Most of the time the issue is that nobody has bothered to try, for whatever reason. Similarly, there isn't anything particularly hack/virus/malware-proof about Apple computers (if there was military offices all over the world would be filled with stylish-yet-understated computers), they are just "different" than Windows. Producing damaging code for them is considered not worthwhile, whether because they have a smaller userbase or because the users are considered lower priority targets.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I mean this with all due respect...

Nintendo is hack proof the same way Macs are; people don't generally bother because the consumer base is so low compared to the competition.

Taking down Sony/Microsoft hits way more people then hitting Nintendo. It's all a numbers game for hackers.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm going to guess that it's because not nearly as many of Nintendo's games have online multiplayer, in comparison to the latter two, so less people give a shit when you take Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros offline than COD, FIFA and everything else.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
More because it will create a bigger boom if you take down PSN or XBL, as opposed to ... the eShop?
Also, what's the hacking going to do to a group playing local Mario Kart?

Keyword: Local.