Is PS Plus Worth It?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fairly simple, is the sub fee for PS Plus worth it?

I ask because I recently started dabbling with the Legends online content for Ghost of Tsushima, and I'm enjoying it. However, to actually play with other humans, they force you to have PS Plus. Now, I'd rather not spend money on it if I'm only going to be fiddling with this game mode for like a week, but I never felt the perks were worth it? Anyone have any thoughts on it's value as a feature?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If you have enough games you want to play online I guess. The couple of free games a month are nice too but more often than not it's stuff I wouldn't pay for in the first place (or already have). I'd say you might as well wait for a Black Friday discount in a month. I paid for the 12 months last year that way and for me it's been worth it. Not a big competitive multiplayer guy but I like playing co-op with friends. Good year to have it too, that's been most of the social interaction I got in 226 days of quarantine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fairly simple, is the sub fee for PS Plus worth it?

I ask because I recently started dabbling with the Legends online content for Ghost of Tsushima, and I'm enjoying it. However, to actually play with other humans, they force you to have PS Plus. Now, I'd rather not spend money on it if I'm only going to be fiddling with this game mode for like a week, but I never felt the perks were worth it? Anyone have any thoughts on it's value as a feature?
PS plus can be worth it if you get it at a discount. Honestly I suggest you wait till around Black Friday or just before and go to gamestop. They'll usually have PS plus and hand you a code for about $45. it used to be $40 but they changed the price last year. I don't play that many multiplayer games, but I use it mainly for Streets of Rage 4 and Ghost of Tsushima as well. Some free games too, but most of the games they have on PS plus I either do not like or I already got. the fact that it's only two games per month really doesn't help. Apparently on PS5, they will have more variety of games available for PS plus.

I'm going to get more sessions in the Ghost multiplayer, once I'm off call.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I regret every dollar I ever spent on PS Plus. And I am ashamed to say that its been quite a lot of dollars. I was young and foolish back then, and very excited to be for the first time playing online games with friends.

But after having experienced gaming online on PC, fuck PS+. What a goddamn scam.

If you happen to have Ghosts of Tsushima physically, just make a new account and apply for a free trial if that's a thing in your region. Unless you think you'll be playing coop for more than a few weeks.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
If you have enough games you want to play online I guess. The couple of free games a month are nice too but more often than not it's stuff I wouldn't pay for in the first place (or already have). I'd say you might as well wait for a Black Friday discount in a month. I paid for the 12 months last year that way and for me it's been worth it. Not a big competitive multiplayer guy but I like playing co-op with friends. Good year to have it too, that's been most of the social interaction I got in 226 days of quarantine.
PS plus can be worth it if you get it at a discount. Honestly I suggest you wait till around Black Friday or just before and go to gamestop. They'll usually have PS plus and hand you a code for about $45. it used to be $40 but they changed the price last year. I don't play that many multiplayer games, but I use it mainly for Streets of rage for and go to sushima as well. I'm going to get more sessions in the multiplayer, once I'm off call.
Yeah that's mostly what I was worried about. I'm not a big online gamer, at least not console, but coop games have always been my one exception to that. Games like PD2 and L4D2 were always really fun, as I enjoy working WITH other people against an AI. I was considering just buying a 1 month sub for $9.99, and see if I'm still playing GoT:L by the end of that time or not.

I was curious if the free games were worth it, as the few times I've bothered to actually look at those lists, they never really seemed all that compelling.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I regret every dollar I ever spent on PS Plus. And I am ashamed to say that its been quite a lot of dollars. I was young and foolish back then, and very excited to be for the first time playing online games with friends.

But after having experienced gaming online on PC, fuck PS+. What a goddamn scam.

If you happen to have Ghosts of Tsushima physically, just make a new account and apply for a free trial if that's a thing in your region. Unless you think you'll be playing coop for more than a few weeks.
Yeah see I have no idea if I'll be playing it in a few weeks. I tend to grow weary of grinding pretty quick, but, I also get a BIG endorphin rush from playing support in a team and doing well on a mission as a result. And the healer class in that game is able to summon a fucking SPIRIT DOG as a buddy, while also being a ninja. So I'm able to play an assassin cleric with a puppy buddy, which is cool.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah see I have no idea if I'll be playing it in a few weeks. I tend to grow weary of grinding pretty quick, but, I also get a BIG endorphin rush from playing support in a team and doing well on a mission as a result. And the healer class in that game is able to summon a fucking SPIRIT DOG as a buddy, while also being a ninja. So I'm able to play an assassin cleric with a puppy buddy, which is cool.
Might as well buy one of the smaller packages then. I think they come in 1 month, then 3, then 1 year. I'd advise you to wait for Black Friday too, but then its actually farther away than I thought.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yeah that's mostly what I was worried about. I'm not a big online gamer, at least not console, but coop games have always been my one exception to that. Games like PD2 and L4D2 were always really fun, as I enjoy working WITH other people against an AI. I was considering just buying a 1 month sub for $9.99, and see if I'm still playing GoT:L by the end of that time or not.

I was curious if the free games were worth it, as the few times I've bothered to actually look at those lists, they never really seemed all that compelling.
You get anything from Goat Simulator to Sims 4 or Street Fighter 5. This month was Vampyr and a Need For Speed game. Best thing I ever got were the Uncharted/BioShock collections but I already had most of those games already. Some stuff at the PS Store also comes at a discount for PS+ but that's never been worth it in my experience.

I'd say give it a try and if you like it get it at a discount. For what it's worth I'm at the end of year 1 and renewing my subscription next month. Best part for me has been finally playing with friends on PS4. If you have them it's well worth it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Might as well buy one of the smaller packages then. I think they come in 1 month, then 3, then 1 year. I'd advise you to wait for Black Friday too, but then its actually farther away than I thought.
Yeah, that's a good idea, but that's also a month away, I might lose all interest in playing the mode in that time. That's sort of my dilema. I mean I'm able to play the new missions solo, as they do make them doable for a solo player, but the crux for me, is I didn't realize you only unlock one champion at a time, and have to level up to unlock another. And I picked the support guy, so for the first 6 levels or so, my Ultimate Ability, was completely useless, as all it did was revive my allies....that I don't have...because I'm playing solo. xD It's a bit better now, as I unlocked an upgrade for it, that adds a group heal effect, that does impact me, so I have a portable heal now, but it's still a bit frustrating to be locked into the one class that is the least built for solo play, and trying to solo.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
You get anything from Goat Simulator to Sims 4 or Street Fighter 5. This month was Vampyr and a Need For Speed game. Best thing I ever got were the Uncharted/BioShock collections but I already had most of those games already. Some stuff at the PS Store also comes at a discount for PS+ but that's never been worth it in my experience.

I'd say give it a try and if you like it get it at a discount. For what it's worth I'm at the end of year 1 and renewing my subscription next month. Best part for me has been finally playing with friends on PS4. If you have them it's well worth it.
Do you keep the games even if your Plus account expires? Or is it only in your library while you have an active subscription going?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Do you keep the games even if your Plus account expires? Or is it only in your library while you have an active subscription going?
You won't be able to play them anymore or install them without an active PS+ subscription. You can access them again though if you renew your subscription. But this only applies to the games you personally added to your library, you won't just get all the free PS+ games since the beginning.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Or is it only in your library while you have an active subscription going?
This. They go away with your subscription (and return with it if you renew it). If you got to keep them regardless then for me that would be the ultimate selling point. As it is they might as well be rentals.
Anything you buy with a PS+ discount is yours to keep though.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
This. They go away with your subscription (and return with it if you renew it). If you got to keep them regardless then for me that would be the ultimate selling point. As it is they might as well be rentals.
Anything you buy with a PS+ discount is yours to keep though.
Yeah I didn't know if it was similar to say audible's subscription model, where you get access to a credit per month, and can use that to buy anything, and it's in your library forever. Which if that were the case, wouldn't be a bad deal. Limited to one free game a month, but it's now permanent, pretty decent, but of course that's not how they do it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've been subbed for over a year and I like it. I play a lot of games like Nioh, and Dark Souls so i like having the option for Co-Op. There are very very few games that I actually play online when it's a seperate mode but when it's something like summoning help for a boss, I like having that option.

Also I've gotten a decent number of free games from the sub. I think I got the entire Uncharted franchise for free which is pretty nice.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I quite liked the free monthly games, but I did eventually cancel my subscription because I don't often play online, and I wasn't getting time/inclination to play the free games (and the PS4's limited storage space means too much installing and uninstalling). I don't miss it TBH.

Reactions: happyninja42

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I have 300 + games from PS+ on PS3, 4 and Vita that I lose if I let the subscription lapse. At least until I renew.
I look for deals. The last one I got at https://www.dailysteals.com/ for about $30 for a year subscription.
I have a buddy that is claiming things like youtube are NOT blocked by a paywall as they are on Xbox. I don't do online much so, the "free" games are really the only plus for me. But, what a plus. Ton of great games. If I had to choose one, based only upon free games, I would get PS+ over Gold. Lots of indie games and AAA games.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I let my PS+ run out this year (I think) and I haven't missed it one bit and I had it since PS3 gen. There's really nothing for me worth playing online this whole gen, I literally went back to PS3 to play online games during the lockdown because the games are just better. The free games I felt were better on PS3 than they have been on PS4. I'd rather just buy the few games I like honestly than basically rolling the dice for Sony making a game free that I do like. It's not that different than a loot box in reality.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I literally went back to PS3 to play online games during the lockdown because the games are just better.
When you make statements like this I get really confused as to what you possibly played this generation and even what you are playing from last gen that apparently is so much better than what we are getting today.

What PS3 titles are you playing that outweigh the incredible incredible games we've gotten throughout the PS4 generation?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
When you make statements like this I get really confused as to what you possibly played this generation and even what you are playing from last gen that apparently is so much better than what we are getting today.

What PS3 titles are you playing that outweigh the incredible incredible games we've gotten throughout the PS4 generation?
Last gen, there was at least Metal Gear Online 2. This gen's Metal Gear Online 3 was worse and wasn't exclusive to PlayStation anyway. Other than that, I barely played any multiplayer on the PS3, and nothing on the PS4, except my free trial with Uncharted 4, which was less fun than Uncharted 2's MP.