Is PS Plus Worth It?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
You spent a whole generation playing old MGS online modes?
No, I only joined MGO2 after the maps were made free to everyone, prior to the temporary cancellation. I played much more MGO1 on the PS2. MGO2 was renewed/resurrected later, but by then my PS3 was already broken. I think the PS3 and 4 both sucked for multiplayer, but the PS3 definitely had more offerings, even if it was just tacked on. AAA Sony barely makes anything other than those photorealistic cinematic story-driven single player open world type games now.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
When you make statements like this I get really confused as to what you possibly played this generation and even what you are playing from last gen that apparently is so much better than what we are getting today.

What PS3 titles are you playing that outweigh the incredible incredible games we've gotten throughout the PS4 generation?
I was talking only about online games mind you. I also literally had to buy a new PS3 controller to play as well so it wasn't about saving money and avoiding a PS+ subscription and I literally found an unused PS+ year subscription card that I haven't used, I hope it's still good. I went back to play some Ghost Recon Future Soldier, best cover system ever made (it's basically a movement combo system). I can still play MGS4's online on PS3, which is the best online shooter ever. Warfighter's multiplayer was better than any modern warfare FPS multiplayer we got this gen. War(Star)hawk was a pretty awesome series we haven't gotten this gen. The only online game I played quite a bit this gen was Battleborn but you can't play it any more, far better than Overwatch IMO. So many of the online games have switched over to dumb battle royale or looter variants. It's now all about Skinner box elements to keep people playing vs just great addictive gameplay. The only shooter I could see myself getting into this gen is R6 Siege but the beta was bad and I didn't think Ubisoft would actually support the game post-launch (as they had no track record of doing so) and now it just seems too late in the game to get into it honestly plus it's a "campier" type of game than I usually prefer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not to upset anyone or rub it in, but I can get a code of PS+ for free, because of my GameStop Pro membership. So I don't even need the $45 discount coming in late November now. I think my current PS+ membership expires in early December, so I'll have to check.

EDIT: Yep. Expires early December. I'll renew around the end of the month.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not to upset anyone or rub it in, but I can get a code of PS+ for free, because of my GameStop Pro membership. So I don't even need the $45 discount coming in late November now. I think my current PS+ membership expires in early December, so I'll have to check.

EDIT: Yep. Expires early December. I'll renew around the end of the month.
I am jealous

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Cool we're getting Hollow Knight as this month's freebie, I was waiting for it to be on discount.
And for the record I'd much rather pay 50% off for the game and own it than rent it for "free" (ie. $2.5 a month with my plan).

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You get anything from Goat Simulator to Sims 4 or Street Fighter 5. This month was Vampyr and a Need For Speed game. Best thing I ever got were the Uncharted/BioShock collections but I already had most of those games already. Some stuff at the PS Store also comes at a discount for PS+ but that's never been worth it in my experience.

I'd say give it a try and if you like it get it at a discount. For what it's worth I'm at the end of year 1 and renewing my subscription next month. Best part for me has been finally playing with friends on PS4. If you have them it's well worth it.

Also the cloud save backups. Figure I begrudgingly spend about $115 a month now on a phone bill (including iPhones) for two people so $45 a year for Plus (when it’s on sale which happens at some point ever year on Amazon or wherever) for entertainment isn’t too bad.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Also the cloud save backups. Figure I begrudgingly spend about $115 a month now on a phone bill (including iPhones) for two people so $45 a year for Plus (when it’s on sale which happens at some point ever year on Amazon or wherever) for entertainment isn’t too bad.
I got it about a year ago for 25% off in a Black Friday sale, $30 for 12 months (so $2.50 a month). I'd take that deal again.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's worth it for the free games every month, and it's worth it because you have no other choice in order to play online.

Of course, gating online play behind an additional subscription fee is shitty behaviour. They made the subscription "worth it" by devaluing the core product (as did Microsoft and Nintendo).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's worth it for the free games every month, and it's worth it because you have no other choice in order to play online.

Of course, gating online play behind an additional subscription fee is shitty behaviour. They made the subscription "worth it" by devaluing the core product (as did Microsoft and Nintendo).
What sucks is that you can blame Microsoft for starting all this. The online for PSN and Nintendo used to be free. Then Sony jumped on that during gen 8 and lied about saying they wouldn't charge any more than 50. Even though Nintendo only charges $20 for a full year, I feel like it's not even worth buying. I don't do a lot of online gaming on their system and I only use the internet to download games on my Switch.