Is PS+ worth the money?

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
I recently got $30 worth of PSN money from a friend and there's nothing on the store that interests me much, so I was thinking of getting PS Plus. However I'd like to know if people who tried it before feel its worth it.

I also have some questions about the free games policy and PS+:

How long is the game free, will it be free for a month, a year or for as long as you have PS+?

Can I play games made free previous to me buying PS+ like DMC or Burnout Paradise?

How is the quality of the games they make free, are they generally decent or are they just the reject games that don't sell well?

Are the other features of PS+ like online storage any good?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
It's amazing!

I got it just before the PS4 dropped and already got my money back in "free" games, I got stuff like MGS revengence, the newest DMC, uncharted 3, borderlands 2, dragons dogma dark arisen, don't starve, resogun, outlast, mafia 2, stealth a clone in the dark, a tekken game, another 2d fighter (I want to say blazblue), soul sacrifice, remember me, grid 2,xcom, farcry 3 and more I can't even think of right now.

I get to keep them all for as long I pay for PS+. Even if I am not that keen on a game, I start to download, cancel it and then I have it ... just in case I run into a dry spell and I scroll down that list and think "you know, I fancy playing X today!" and then it is there to download.

You do have to check back every month 'cos if you do miss a month out you can never get that game (unless they re-list it), so any game that was on there before I started getting it, I have missed out on.

In a way it is a bad thing ... you could buy a game only for it to come out on PS+ a little while later (happened with me and AC3)

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I've been fairly impressed with it - I was given a year's subscription as a gift, but knowing now how many solid titles they've had available I'd be happy to pay for it - just in the two months I've had it I've saved the cost of it. I do think it's a better value if you have both the main system and a Vita though, since that increases the number of titles you have access to.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
omega 616 said:
It's amazing!

I got it just before the PS4 dropped and already got my money back in "free" games, I got stuff like MGS revengence, the newest DMC, uncharted 3, borderlands 2, dragons dogma dark arisen, don't starve, resogun, outlast, mafia 2, stealth a clone in the dark, a tekken game, another 2d fighter (I want to say blazblue), soul sacrifice, remember me, grid 2,xcom, farcry 3 and more I can't even think of right now.

I get to keep them all for as long I pay for PS+. Even if I am not that keen on a game, I start to download, cancel it and then I have it ... just in case I run into a dry spell and I scroll down that list and think "you know, I fancy playing X today!" and then it is there to download.

You do have to check back every month 'cos if you do miss a month out you can never get that game (unless they re-list it), so any game that was on there before I started getting it, I have missed out on.

In a way it is a bad thing ... you could buy a game only for it to come out on PS+ a little while later (happened with me and AC3)
So the games I can get for free change every month? So in March I won't be able to get Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 3, Borderlands 2 etc. and there'll be a new set of games that are free for March, and I'll have to finish those games in February if I want to play them.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
you get access to a rotating group of 'free' games, which after 'purchasing' you can retain the right to download them as long as you remain in PS+. so, no, you can't get the games that were previously offered, but you can rack up as many of the 'free' games as you want, as long as you check every 2 weeks or so to 'purchase' the newly offered ones. by 'purchase' i mean start the download then immediately back out. you will notice the game will have gone from the yellow 'free' to the owned icon.

btw, the free PS+ games are difference in Europe and US. we in the US get some quality stuff, but sony has been very generous to Europe.

i've had it for a year or so on PS3 and have probably played as much of the free games as ones i've bought.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Ronald Nand said:
So the games I can get for free change every month? So in March I won't be able to get Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 3, Borderlands 2 etc. and there'll be a new set of games that are free for March, and I'll have to finish those games in February if I want to play them.
Actually, I think you have already missed borderlands 2 and uncharted 3 but you can still get bioshock infinite.

Nah, say you downloaded Bioshock now, played it for 10 minutes and got bored, you can remove it from your PS3 ... then say in 2 months you want to play it again, just download it and play. (assuming you still have PS+).

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd love to tell you Sony is fucking everyone over with it, but ... I've been pleased with my purchase. I really do think it's worth the money provided they keep delivering worthwhile content. So far, they more or less have.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Playstation Plus gave me access to god knows how many great games. I just got Metro and Outlast, and before, I got Hitman: Absolution, Infamous 2, Bioshock 2, Saints Row: The Third, and more ALL FOR FREE!!!! I also got games like Tales of Xillia, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 and more for less than $10 (O.K Far Cry was about $17). Trouble is that they take up an ass load of memory to the point where I've had to delete a lot of games and now thinking about getting a bigger hard drive. But yeah, it's worth it.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I was like you once. "Playstation Plus, is it really worth it?"

Yes. Yes it is. Without question. If you don't have plus and play games on a regular basis, then I...well, that makes me very sad. I just got it in October when they were having a "Spend $50 get $10 back". Its paid for itself and then some.

They offer at least 5 games a month, 3 ps3 games, 1 PS vita/PSN/PSP game, and now one PS4 game. Sadly, you won't be able to get access to previous free games (for example, if you join now you won't be able to get Dragons Dogma dark arisen, as that has come and gone). However, games that you DO get stay with you forever as long as you are still a member of PS+. So if you get Bioshock Infinite, your subscription runs out, you won't be able to play Infinite until you become a member again. Once you do, you'll have access to it again. Depending if you live in the US or UK, the offer of games will be different to some extent. Once you download a game, you can always redownload it again later with no problems (as long as you are a member of course), even if it isn't a free plus game anymore. Again, using Infinite as an example: If you download it now as a member, say you delete it in order to get a different game. You can easily download it again, even if it is no longer being offered as a free game.

The games have been quite worth it though. Many were games I wanted to try, but didn't have the money. Then you have stuff like Bioshock Infinite that came out almost a year ago being offered already. Forgetting the fact if the games are good or not (though from my experience, they have always been at least decent), getting games that constantly exceed the amount you pay for plus is good enough for me. The range of the games vary (Infinite sold quite well, while I don't think Remember Me did).

Not only that, but you have the very good deals from the Playstation store. Games are constantly discounted, and plus members usually get even MORE of a discount. I've purchased at least 7 $15 games, all of them being less than $4. And unlike the free games given to you by plus, these I keep no matter what. Example, say you buy Limbo at a discounted price and your subscription ends. You are still able to play Limbo to your heart's content without any problems. It really is amazing to get games like Tales of Xillia, Puppeteer, and Ni No Kuni all less than $10. PS+ makes even more sense if you have a Vita. I have at least 10 Vita games or games I can play on the vita, and I've only been a member for just 4 months. Granted I don't OWN a Vita yet...but I hope to change that!

Really, Playstation plus is extremely worth it. The only problems would be that you can quickly build up a backlog of games to play (especially with the discounts), and that they might offer games that you already have, making that particular month feel pretty meh. I think plus is worth it even more if you're someone who really only gets maybe a few set games a year, the ones that you are really dying for. I feel Plus loses its value if you are someone who is buying almost every new release that is available, as you are bound to run into those game being free.

The Cloud saving is nice I suppose, mostly in the case of your PS3 just breaking down for some reason or your files getting lost or something. The ability to have the system update at whatever time you set it for is nice too, especially if you live with a family that constantly hogs up everything internet related during the day.

So...hopefully that was all helpful and didn't sound too confusing. Lol.

EDIT: Oh! Completely forgot another negative: the Hard Drive space. I only have the 80GB version, so I can't constantly be downloading every free game that comes my way. Make sure you have adequate space available! Games always require at least double the necessary space (EX: A 6GB game require 12GB of space). Keep that in mind!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Let's see, I got PS+ in November. I think I've downloaded over $100 in games for free. Is that worth it?

The games are free as long as you are a PS+ member. If you delete it from your console, you can always download it again later as it will remain on your Downloads list. There is no limit to playing them. While the games they offer change each month, there are about 6 or 7 games available at any given time from what I can tell. I think Shadow of the Colossus is still available for free. Uncharted 3 may also still be available.

Your PS+ account is cross platform, as well. So, it works for PS3, PS4, and Vita all at once.

I've heard that Gamestop does a year's subscription for $30 every Black Friday. And people take advantage of that. If they do that this year, I will definitely take advantage.

TizzytheTormentor said:
Its pretty much worth it, the freengames you download are yours for as long as you want as long as you still have PS+

Its a good system, got a lot of cool games with it on Vita for free and I only wish I had a PS3, hoping PS4 has such deals in the future.
So far PS4 users have gotten Resogun, Contrast, and Don't Starve for free. They long since promised Drive Club as a PS+ title, though not with all the cars and tracks, but with all the game modes and such. From what I understand, Sony promised PS+ could upgrade Drive Club to the full game for a small price. We'll probably only see one or two games on PS4 available at any given time for a while, but it'll likely improve as the library starts to fill out.

I think they also gave a PS+ upgrade pack for Warframe, too.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Ronald Nand said:
I recently got $30 worth of PSN money from a friend and there's nothing on the store that interests me much, so I was thinking of getting PS Plus. However I'd like to know if people who tried it before feel its worth it.

I also have some questions about the free games policy and PS+:

How long is the game free, will it be free for a month, a year or for as long as you have PS+?

Can I play games made free previous to me buying PS+ like DMC or Burnout Paradise?

How is the quality of the games they make free, are they generally decent or are they just the reject games that don't sell well?

Are the other features of PS+ like online storage any good?
If you have a PS-3 it's apparently a good deal, on the other hand if your just using a PS4 it's worthless. I got a PS4 and a year worth of + membership for it and to put it bluntly there isn't crap for PS4 on PSN either, it's not just a drought of physical games.

Personally I'd consider saving the $30, the PS+ games you get are only good for as long as you have the membership. I'd either wait and get a year's membership, or just spend the $30 when there is a game or something I know I want, because then it's mine for the long term.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
Break it down mathematically...the price of a triple A game, on launch, is about $60. That's equal to one year of PS+. That's $5 a month, in other words.

You usually get 3 free titles a month, usually at least one big game, like Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Deus Ex: HR, Hitman: Absolution, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc. Alongside smaller titles that range from things you might have heard of, such as Hotline Miami, to other things you've never heard of. There's also usually a free Vita title. Some months have a better haul than others.

So look at it this way...Do you own every triple A game that's come out in the past 3-4 years? Unless you can answer "yes" or "almost all" You will most likely benefit from PS+. The odds are you'll get at least a few games you were looking to buy or some gem you've never heard of but fell in love with. Since the subscription for a year is equivalent to only one game at launch, it's a fairly safe gamble. I will say thanks to PS+ I hardly have to even buy any games anymore. Other than Saints Row IV and GTA V, I don't think I bought a single title in 2013.

Absolutely worth every penny. And it's such a good service, I feel it's worth it to rant and rave about it until my face turns blue.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Just based on sale prices, I've gotten more out of it than I've put into it.

Free games are nice, too, even if you only keep them for the length of your subscription. The only downside is I need a bigger HDD for all the stuff.

I'd say it's worth the money.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ronald Nand said:
You can get the last six month's worth of free games (give or take). I don't remember when Paradise was added, but I think it's gone now.DMC's still available, though.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Well let's see, in 2013 alone, I've gotten

2 Megamans, Darksiders, Spec Ops The Line, Demon Souls, Deus Ex:HR, LBP Karting, Xcom, Saints Row 3, Oddworld HD, Hitman Absolution, (I already had Dragons Dogma, and didn't feel like going into it again, but that was there) and Borderlands 2. All for my 50 bucks, which even with price drops is the price of several of those games by themselves at a retail shop (or 2-3 of them used at gamestop).

I'd say the main factors would be if you had low bandwidth/usage fees that would stop you downloading the free games, or you play every game as it comes out anyways and don't want to wait 6 months to a year for the possibility of them showing up. Even in the latter case, its a decent offer for games you're mixed on, or the PSN-only fare that flies under the radar.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
It's been said many times already, but yes, it's is absolutely worth the money.

I am in a game shop maybe once or twice a year, so most of my purchases are digital. Being super frugal, that generally also means my playstation library is composed of dust and tumbleweeds. But for 50$, I now have access to more games than I could probably get through in months.

The amazing thing is anything accessible for free through playstation plus is yours to play whenever (so long as your subscription lasts): all you have to do is start the download. Even if you don't have space or you cancel the download, the fact you've accessed it saves that to your account, so if you want to play the game months after it's been removed from the freebie list, go ahead!

The fact the ps+ subscription applies to multiple consoles is also amazing. My vita is a necessity when travelling, and I've only purchased 2 games for it that lasted me all of a week. With a ps+ subscription less than a year old I've still not gotten through half the games I now have.

But yeah. Definitely worth it, 100%. The triple A titles are nothing to scoff at, and the fact they offer up games that are fairly new as well; I feel like it had only been a month or two after release that they put Uncharted 3 up for free.

Also, check for deals if you're going to get a subscription. When I got mine, it was 50$ for a year, plus 3 free months. I dislike the fact you have to have a subscription in order to play online on the ps4, but it will definitely not be a regretted purchase.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
There's really nothing to add here, but I will do so anyway.

90% of my PS3 catalogue is in fact games I have received for for free through PSN+.

A good deal of games are games I've got PSn+ discounts on and the rest are the games that made me buy a PS3 and some games I got cheap on Amazon.

Edit: Also I think they generally list games that are fairly popular. Cloud saves are also good since they back up your game saves at a time you may choose yourself so if your hard drive is to give out you can replace it and go on with your games afterwards.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
When I load up the PlayStation store right now and go to the playstation plus section, the first four things to appear are:
Metro: Last Light (was $49.99, FREE)
Biroshock Infinite (was $39.99, FREE)
Brothers a tale of two sons (was $14.99, FREE)
Borderlands 2 (was $29.99, FREE)

That's $134.96 for free with PlayStation plus

the full list of games that I can get with PlayStation plus right now (Canadian servers) is:
Metro: List Light
Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons
BioShock Infinite
Dyad
Borderlands 2
Binary Domain
ibb & ogg
Poker Night 2
Shadow of the Colossus (expiring soon)
UNCHARTED 3 (only the single player, and that's been up since I joined like last June so I don't think it's going anywhere)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
LittleBigPlanet Karting

That's just the PlayStation 3 list.
For Vita:
Smart as...
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Worms: Battle Islands
EipEout 2048
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush

For PlayStation 4:
Outlast
Resogun

Soon Payday 2, Remember Me, Street Fighter X Tekken, and Mod Nation Racers: Road Trip should be joining the list as well.

ALL OF THAT IS RIGHT NOW AND IN THE COMING WEEKS!

I currently have 48 PlayStation 3 'Titles' (apparently the sound track for The Last of Us counts as a title) installed on my PlayStation 3 and I only had to pay for 13 of them beyond the cost of PlayStation plus.

Any game that you add to your instant game collection will be available to you so long as you have a PlayStation plus subscription. Though a similar rule applies to adding games to your collection. You can only add a game to your instant game collection if you have a subscription to PlayStation plus. If you let your subscription slide for a while, as soon as you pick the subscription back up, you get your collection back just the way it was.

Yes PlayStation Plus is absolutely worth it.