Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Coming to Prime-Time?

donutsftw

Nov 10, 2009
This looks pretty damn cool. They really nailed the special effects: the electric anomaly and "blind puppy" look pretty realistic. The uniforms on the soldiers , though don't look quite as good: They look very clean and new, as opposed to the dirty/used/old look I would expect.

I wonder what prompted whoever was in charge to give this the go-ahead? S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s got a bit of a cult following amongst hard-core PC gamers, but I wouldn't have thought it popular enough to warrant a TV series.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Is it worth mentioning that the book; A Roadside Picnic was based on aliens visiting? And hell, the film of the book was just excellent.

But this? I've loved the idea behind the book, the film and the games, however this...

I'm... I don't know. I'm a huge fan of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Massive infact. But I'm weary, however if this is real and GSC are behind it, then I'll give them and the project my faith.

I want to see lots of campfires and there always needs to be one guy with a guitar. That is terribly important.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I love the Russian language, it just sounds so kickass to listen to :D

I've played Shadow of Chernobyl and it's pretty good, but takes some getting used to. I have Call of Pripyat, the supposed better one, but I have yet to play it but I will soon. I'm very interested in STALKER 2, this TV show not so much.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
It won't be a true S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series until a character says "get out of here, stalker" in a thick Ukrainian accent.

ForsakenUK

Feb 11, 2010
haha just a blind puppy...

id prefer a new game but id like to see how this turns out...

i just started replaying COP.. you forget just how good these games are

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
sgtshock said:
I wonder what the chances are for this thing being broadcast, or at least coming to DVD here in the states are. As I understand it STALKER is a much bigger game in Russia than the US, but I think there would at least be an audience for it here.
Probably not too bad, honestly. I've got an English subbed copy of STALKER (1979) on my shelf to be watched, right now.

GoldenCondor

May 6, 2009
Holy shit I just came a bucket. And another one for thinking about this again.
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is definitely the best game out there (Fallout New Vegas started to catch on, baby steps: In fallout they finally let you upgrade your weapons).

Since I am Ukrainian, and do speak Russian, I'll be very smug about not having to read the subtitles.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I never played a STALKER game but they look like games I would really like. So I'd probably watch this. However, the trailer didn't convince me it would be any good. Although maybe I need to have some sorta knowledge of the games.

Maybe I'll get STALKER 2 when it comes out though.

Skobvs

Nov 26, 2009
laryri said:
This trailer has the same kind of uncanniness that comes from low production values that I feel when I play the STALKER games. However, also like the STALKER games, it still looks awesome despite it's flaws.
Sums it up nicely.

As long as this has English subs (preferred not dubbed), I will watch it... Somehow... Hopefully they stream it on that kinoSTALKER site.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
In other words, it's a television show based on a game based on a movie based on a book. Which, I think most fans will agree, makes it exactly the kind of convoluted mess any proper S.T.A.L.K.E.R. product should be.
sounds like its trying to be inception?

is the show going to be in russian like the trailer?

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
'It's a blind puppy'
Response, 'SHIT!' (my response)

I am a huge fan of stalker and always sing it's praise in storytelling ablity. I felt COP as a bit open ended to tell the story as well but did enjoy it alot and by no means was it a a move downhill in the series to me, just a side step that the develops have already shown they are happy to adjust if need (from past adjustments).
I look forward to the next Stalker game and that trailer did feel a hell of alot like Stalker again. Almost every scene in it fit like I was watching Stalker ^^.

Would love to see it developed properly, maybe a short lived series so it doesn;t drag itself out (or have it actually follow the games storyline to put the story in a different media, I for one would enjoy watching it)

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
I want to see how they portray a Controller.

Ripping my damn mind out of my skull. Not amused.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I loved the book and the movie (as a pretentious movie lover) and the game scratched the itch I had. A movie would be awesome though (get the universal soldier regeneration guy to do it) I don't think it would make a good tv show It fits into a neat short narrative and there is a reason so many people on youtube do such a decent job. It's all about mood and athmosphere. You don't need the big monsters. It could be done on a low budget and be awesome.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Please sir, may i have some MOAR?!?

I think a STALKER show would be great. The Zone is nothing but full of conflict for the stalker. And what shows tend to be the best? The ones with conflict!

I can see it now. Shoot outs with bandits, running from packs of dogs, falling in love with a bloodsucker.

Ok. Maybe not that last one. But you get the idea.

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
I am a huge STALKER fan myself, I love the eerie, lonely feeling you get. I love the atmosphere of the game, and how easy you get sucked in. That being said from what I saw that trailer does no do the game justice. It seems too action oriented and the low budget shows making it seem like a SyFy channel movie. I'm not saying STALKER looked all that amazing itself (have you seen the size of their feet?) but it never seemed cheesy to me (except the feet). These are just my first impressions though, hopefully I am wrong.