Is sci fi and fantasy less accepted in the American South?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Fox12 said:
Lil devils x said:
Gene Roddenberry was born in El Paso. Considering Both NASA Houston and NASA Cape Canaveral are both in the south, I think Science fiction and Fantasy both are pretty strong here. There is also a large tech community in Texas due to having a silicone valley here. Texas A&M has a large Science Fiction library, and UT Austin has the Texas Spacecraft Laboratory. There are quite a few large Larp groups in Texas as well as science fiction book clubs. I know in Austin there are always sci fi writing contests going on, I actually entered one there once (didn't win). In my theater class, we actually learned to do stage makeup from one of the artists that creates Star Trek aliens.
I saw an interview with Neil Degrasse Tyson, where he said that the Republicans are way more supportive of science and NASA. I found that pretty surprising. A lot of people don't fit into stereotypes.
I guess the anti-GMO and similar types outweigh YECs and the like? As for NASA specifically, several of their facilities are in the South (JSC, Kennedy, Marshall, Goddard). 3 of the remaining are in California, so that doesn't leave much for Yankee land.
I'm pretty sure the decision on where to place those facilities was originally based on things like land availability and the fact that you want to do rocket launches closer to the equator.
Of course, I'm not saying there's anything sinister behind it, just the pragmatic reason why NASA is more valued in the South. There are (for various reasons) more NASA facilities and therefore NASA jobs and NASA money in the South.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Generally no.
I know only a single person who thinks Harry Potter is devil worship[footnote] Everyone else goes, yeah, yeah you go ahead and think like that, we're going to keep watching the movie even when your kid is visiting and we're also taking him trick-or-treating for Halloween[/footnote]. The state I live in is home to every kind of geeky con you can imagine, including hentai and furries.

But I live in Florida, as south as the US gets but not really "southern", has voted blue for the past couple presidential elections, but is run by republicans.

CaptJohnSheridan said:
What would they think of a TV show featuring a badass military leader with a badass military spaceship?
Although I'm pretty sure they'd be all over that. Make it a movie, rather than a TV show, have it directed by Michael Bay, add some American flags in there, instant Blockbuster.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
I think when your thinking of the American South your picturing small towns, not big cities because that's what people normally picture when they think of the American South.

It's big cities where people will normally congregate to speak about hobbies like this, at cons, gaming conventions and even the odd bar, these places also exist in the south.

Like a lot of hobbies people in small towns people will normally talk about it with there friends or online, this would be true for Northern States as well.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Eclipse Dragon said:
But I live in Florida, as south as the US gets but not really "southern", has voted blue for the past couple presidential elections, but is run by republicans.
Heh, I live in the reverse -- as north as you can go and still be "southern" (literally - the Mason-Dixon line makes up part of our northern border), has voted red for the past couple presidential elections, but is (mostly) run by Democrats.

The trick is that our Democrats tend to downplay the anti-gun and anti-coal stuff, because both would be poisonous to getting elected here.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Southern places may have a higher ratio of the ill defined jock stereotyoe who only cares about alcohol, sports and cars but they're definitely not the only kind of person there, as that is pretty much impossible in a free country.

I always enjoy the people who think fantasy is evil though, a teacher of mine from back when I lived in Greece once mentioned that my (white!) magic the gathering card was evil due to having the word magic on it and the only one able to use magic for good being god so by defition all other magic is satanic. I wonder if she secretly was afraid I would unleash my army of leonin weenies on the school and have them kill everyone. So yeah, totally amusing.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Having grown up as a sci fi and fantasy loving geek in East Texas in the Nineties i can tell you from experience that while there are always people who will share your interests there were just as many who thought I was broken in some way because i didn't want to get up at 3 in the morning to hunt or who saw my disdain for football as blasphemy. I mean that as literally as possible. It's one of the few things that Kink of the Hill was absolutely right about in it's depiction of a small town in Texas.

the jocks and outdoor types were much more numerous (at least in my town) and were louder and their parents to back them up as it being "tradition".

I hated high school.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Sorry for the doublepost but my phone won't let me edit for some reason. Clearly I meant KING of the Hill not KINK. Though to be fair that might have been a more interesting show. Lol

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I really don't think so, from what I've heard pretty much everyone down there owns the rule book. I mean damn, they even put 'em in motel rooms for visitors!

Serios answer; I'm British. So, I don't know. Judging on the sterotype of the Southern American that we get told about in media though, I'd've thought so. Would think they'd say it was gay.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Having lived in Alabama I can assure you that Game of Thrones is probably as popular there as it is in New York.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Living in Missouri, again, Mason/Dixon line, I've seen my fair share of moms who thought that Harry Potter was evil because he talked to snakes. As soon as I hear those beliefs I slowly back away. Ignorance like that tends to be infectious and I don't need it rubbing off on me. My own mother thought RPGs like D&D were the work of the devil but she usually kept that to herself, me being very outspoken about the things I enjoyed. Reason tended to trump ignorance in my house on all days except holidays, when the ignorant would gather in groups. This is a rural home, the kind of place where you'd expect this sort of thing, though I am trying to change that.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Saelune said:
Zontar said:
Given what I've seen regarding fans of Star Trek, Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings as specific examples, I'd say no, or at least it doesn't seem that way from my perspective of an outsider looking in.

I mean hell, both the current and former industrial and cultural heart of the anime community in the English speaking world are and where in Texas respectively. While it's debatable if Texas is its own thing or truly Southern, I think people need to look beyond dated stereotypes when thinking about these questions.
Texas has a few big cities such as Dallas and San Antonio that are less "Southern" than the rest of the state, but Texas is otherwise quite Southern, though less bumpkin than say, Alabama.
Texas has "quite" a few big cities, including Houston (fourth largest in U.S., going on 3rd, with a lesbian mayor), Austin (very liberal for the most part), Dallas (or actually The DFW Metroplex [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_metroplex/], not just Dallas), and San Antonio. We are the second largest state in size and population. Don't try to downplay that.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Judging by the Creation Museum and the life-sized replica of Noah's Ark in Kentucky, I'd say that fantasy is very much accepted in the American South.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JohnZ117 said:
Saelune said:
Zontar said:
Given what I've seen regarding fans of Star Trek, Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings as specific examples, I'd say no, or at least it doesn't seem that way from my perspective of an outsider looking in.

I mean hell, both the current and former industrial and cultural heart of the anime community in the English speaking world are and where in Texas respectively. While it's debatable if Texas is its own thing or truly Southern, I think people need to look beyond dated stereotypes when thinking about these questions.
Texas has a few big cities such as Dallas and San Antonio that are less "Southern" than the rest of the state, but Texas is otherwise quite Southern, though less bumpkin than say, Alabama.
Texas has "quite" a few big cities, including Houston (fourth largest in U.S., going on 3rd, with a lesbian mayor), Austin (very liberal for the most part), Dallas (or actually The DFW Metroplex [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas%E2%80%93Fort_Worth_metroplex/], not just Dallas), and San Antonio. We are the second largest state in size and population. Don't try to downplay that.
Considering most states dont have more than like, one big city, merely saying "a few" isnt downplaying that.