Is St. Anger really all that bad?

Mar 17, 2009
timmytom1 said:
The infamous SCAMola said:
I want to choke Dave Mustaine. What a drama queen.
More than Lars? also his voice just pisses me off , i wanted to punch him sooo hard
Dave Mustaine's Or Lars'? Because I will agree with you on David Mustaine. He has such a douchey voice.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Because it's absolutely terrible regardless of the band involved. It's also a heavy metal album with 0 solos, so they signed their death warrant from the start. Seriously, why are you listening to Metallica after And Justice For All anyway?

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
NoSlottedToaster said:
Yes, have you heard anything pre-the black album because that is the only good stuff, further more and justice for all is only semi-listenable. It all went down here when the "written by dave mustane" credits were no longer in the liner notes
Mustaine didn`t write anything for master of pupetts or ..and justice for all (though he claims that he should have credit for leper messiah)though i agree that mustaine provided `tallica with some awesome songs ,like the four horsemen ,call of kuthulu and ride the lightening

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
St.Anger was the first record I ever bought (besides some complications). I went out and said "I like it !". After I bought their first three 3 CDs (the ones with Cliff Burton) I realized something... and sold St.Anger.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
timmytom1 said:
I want to choke Dave Mustaine. What a drama queen.
More than Lars? also his voice just pisses me off , i wanted to punch him sooo hard
Dave Mustaine's Or Lars'? Because I will agree with you on David Mustaine. He has such a douchey voice.
Both ,for different reasons, you neatly summarized my opinion on Mustaines voice ,but Lars like....really stupid voice kept like....pissing me off

EDIT:plus every time i saw him(Lars) i couldn`t help but think of all the dickish things he`s done over the years...

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
If you look at it from the perspective that Metallica did not make it I guess it is all right. It is a competent album.

If you are an old school Metallica fan or a young one who likes the old(and best) music like Master of Puppets and ?And Justice for All then yes it is terrible. The composition of the music is just not up to par. I just wish that Cliff Burton did not die.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
I like Some Kind of Monster (song) though.
Yup, that one is nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=546KjKMB9kw

Other than that I don't care a whole lot for the album. Maybe I should give it another chance though.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
The entire album is filled with mediocre songs that are mixed poorly. I can go to any local label and get the same thing for cheaper, so why would I pay top dollar for it?

And that's sort of the deal. That album would have made those guys fade in to obscurity if it were their first album. It's a band killer. If this was any band that hadn't had the popularity of Metallica, they'd probably have stopped touring and two of them would be dead, one from a drug addiction and the other from suicide.

It's just not a good album.

Aux

Jul 2, 2009
Yes it is a pathetic attempt at music from a band who should of gave up awhile ago.

Their old stuff was good, even thought I have never liked the band. It seems like old bands are trying to milk whatever they have these days. Take System of a Down, Kiss, Korn....the list goes on and on...

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
Please, dont call System of a Down or Korn old ;) (and, besides that I left the metal scene since two years, I am glad they are "out" now)

paranoidhalfbreed

Jul 20, 2009
If St. Anger is the first Metallica album you listen to, then chances are you will like it. However, if you listen to their older albums, it is likely you will agree with the majority of fans who believe those were some of the best and it is hard to compare St. Anger with that. Reload was their first one I bought and I love it to this day, but I still think the Ride the Lightning and Black album were their best.

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Fondant said:
Hey, at least it made for a good documentary, amirite?
What, Metallica, or their fanboys?
Metallica, obviously. Did you see Some Kind of Monster?[
Not a Metallica fan here. Give me Black Sabbath or Queens of the Stone age for my Heavy Metal, if you please. Rammstein as well, and some later stuff, but Metallica has never been a favourite. Average at best.

Woem

May 28, 2009
I think St. Anger has the least quality of all their albums but I see it as the necessary evil that Metallica needed to keep on going. They all had a rough couple of years and St. Anger was what they needed to get it all back together. If it wasn't for St. Anger then Death Magnetic wouldn't be the soundgasm that it is.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
SeniorDingDong said:
Please, dont call System of a Down or Korn old ;) (and, besides that I left the metal scene since two years, I am glad they are "out" now)
Given that SOAD disbanded in 2006 i feel it fair to call them old ,and i don`t know if korn have done the same yet ,but they went terrible i while back (and if i`m not mistaken the singer left)

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
pantallica95 said:
I have been hearing people shit all over St. Anger since i got into Metallica in 6th grade. I just recently bought the album, and also watched the DVD where they played the songs live in the studio. It certainly isnt their best effort, but I dont think that its their worst either. at the very least I'd give it a 7.5/10. Why do people hate it so much? The lyrics are some of Metallica's best, James' voice is excellent, the riffs are quite good, and in my opinion more than make up for the lack of guitar solos. The drums are excellent, although they do sound better with Lars' snare turned on. Like on some of the live in the studio DVD. Most of the songs dont need to be as long as they are, and the production is shit, but i think those are about the only problems.

So my question is, why all the hate on this album? Whats so bad about it?

And if you didnt like Load and ReLoad I'm not sure if i even want your contribution. If you are civilized about not liking these three albums I'm fine, but please, no "These albums were sell outs." I've heard that more times then i would like to admit. And i'm sick of it.

It isn't hate worthy, its just unlikable. I believe Metallica are getting a little over the hill now, Anything before and including the Black album is excellent, maybe a few songs afterwards too.

romitelli

Jan 2, 2008
Madaxeman101 said:
saint anger is shit thats a given but i think the real questions is "is mettalica all that good?"
The old Metallica crap is awesome. St. Anger isn't horrible, it's just that it doesn't even compare to what they used to write in the old days.