Is Steve Jobs the 2nd Greatest Innovator of All Time?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I can't remember where I read it, but Edison's predictions of the future were kind of hilarious. Books with nickel pages so thin, thousands could fit in a book, and weigh less than a regular book. I'm not gonna lie, that sounds really dangerous. Sliver thin metal. Seems like you'd be more likely to lose a finger than turn the page. For comparison, Tesla predicted cell phones and computers.
That being said, I'm looking at the chart and not seeing the problem. It says Innovator, NOT inventor. True, Jobs didn't invent anything, but he developed a system that manages to consistently sell inferior products at insane prices to people who think it makes them a special little snowflake.
I feel like Henry Ford should be in the middle of that list. His assembly line innovations define the global economy right now.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Barda236 said:
fix-the-spade said:
If people taught history properly, Edison wouldn't even be on that list, the man was a patent troll and a thug.

Also, a list of innovators that does not include Da Vinci (or Tesla?!?). I despair!
Amen man. Tesla and Da Vinci were leagues ahead of their competitors. But alas, genius is seldom understood in it's own time. Tesla's ideas are still relevant even today. Engineers and scientist periodically go through his notebooks looking for ideas.
Da Vinci's credibility as the inventor of all of those beautiful schematics and some of his constructs is questioned. One may say that he had copied some himself and only because no other source survived depicting these inventions we now think that he was the inventor.
I agree with Tesla.
Dudes.... Dmitri Mendeleev. Periodic table. It's base Chemistry.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Acrisius said:
Dude, this was freaking MIT. Last I checked, that's a pretty prestigious place. Just goes to show that higher education/more money doesn't at all equal common sense or wits. Though if you look at the poll, you can tell that only like 5-10% of everyone who answered it seem to be somewhat educated or smart. Basically, everyone who named Eddison just did what they probably were taught in first grade. Everyone who voted Steve Jobs is a fucking hipster. And then a few people voted Bell or Curie. Kinda representative of society as a whole almost :D
It's an MIT poll, not a poll of MIT students. Read the fine print on the image, it was a survey of 1000 18-25 year olds Nationally. An actual survey of MIT students would hopefully be rather different, with a skew towards people with actual technical innovation.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Batsu-sama" post="7.339910.13787780 said:
Could not be bothered reading through 11 pages of replies to see if this person was mentioned by someone else, but: DENNIS. FRICKIN. RITCHIE.

Who is he, you may be asking? If you consider yourself any kind of hardcore techie and you don't know who he is, consider your tech-geek membership null and void. He was the one who developed the C programming language. To cut down on explanations, here is an image a friend gave me.

I'm kind of ashamed of forgetting him... Even when he died I only knew of his achievements cause of the obituary.