Is Tetris the best game ever?

Rabab_Thesus

Sep 27, 2008
zee666 post=9.72610.766521 said:
No because i suck at it... and everytime i see the straight line piece i feel a need to make out with the television... ONLY KIDDINg...*eyes dart back and forth*
That's very, er... Freudian...

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Tetris, Space Invaders, Pacman, Mine Sweeper, Pong, Asteroids, Breakout, etc. are some of the greatest of games because they are simple yet very challenging. However they weren't the most popular, record sales started with Super Mario Land, then the SIMS and as soon as Counter Strike came out no other game has come even close.

I say the original Super Mario game, it was the perfect adventure game in a fantasy world. How they ever came up with an Italian plumber and killer mushrooms ill never know!

Psychochef

Jul 22, 2008
Best game ever? Heh. That's one of those question that you'll never get universal agreement on. Everybody's got an opinion.

Now, I will give it one thing. Tetris sure does have staying power. Almost twenty years after its release, and people are still playing it! And if imitation is flattery, then Tetris has to be one of the most complimented games of all time, what with all the clones and such based off of it.

My own opinion? Tetris is one of the greatest "30 minute" games of all time. Got 30 minutes or less to kill? Got Tetris? Then you have something fun to do.

Nemesais

May 14, 2008
People have diffrent opinions, i know, but if we weren't diffrent it would be pretty boring...

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Pong and Pac-Mans controls are easily grasped aswell and they're universally liked.
Also Pac-man was the pioneer in bringing women into the Gaming scene.

But would i call them the best games ever?
No, i really wouldn't.
I'd call them timeless classics, but that's as far as i'd go.
I think we're typically a long way off of making "the best game ever"

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
well i wouldn't say the best game evar..but flawless in design? quite possibly.

I challenge all of you, give me three VALID flaws in game design for Tetris, the 4 people sitting around me can't do it.

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
Maybe not best game ever, but it certainly deserves an award for having the longest life-span of any video game. It's been released on every gaming platform known to man ever since it first came out in the 80's. If you count both the "official" versions and the ripoffs like Dr. Mario, it is quite possibly the most re-released video game of all time. It is certainly my favorite puzzle game and I don't like to play puzzle games as a general rule.

I have Tetris for the PC, Xbox360, Xbox, PS2, Gameboy, GameboyAdvance, DS and even my cell phone has it, so it's certainly the game that I personally have the most versions of. Of all the versions I've played, including the original arcade version, I still prefer Tetris Worlds for the PC above the rest. The addition of the "story" where you are freeing the tetrinos (recast as aliens instead of just blocks) so they can reclaim their lost planets adds a bit of drama if you will to the basic puzzle game. Multiplayer on it is also a lot of fun as you are sitting shoulder to shoulder with your opponent using the same keyboard to play. It reminds me of going against other players on coin-op machines in the arcade.

Splitter

Jul 10, 2008
It's good, I regularly play it on my phone when i'm waiting for someone / have a free at college, etc, but by no means is it the best game ever.
Theres no real best games ever, there are just "very good game if you like that sort of thing".
Or a sort of best in genre.
But then you get games who divide people, a good example being FFXII or Halo.
So, tetris is the best game ever, if you think it is.

Hmm, that post sounds really stupid now reading it back... oh well.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
I dont know why people loved it so much. Granted, I was not around during the 80s, but I find it to boring. Watching bricks fall and sorting them out.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Yes. Yes it is. Though the new DS version seems to have sucked all the fun out of it.
Edit: that probably requires some explanation; it was one of the first games I remember playing as a child (the other being LoZ: Link's Awakening) when I received a Gameboy for my birthday all those years ago...

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Lukeje post=9.72610.825959 said:
Yes. Yes it is. Though the new DS version seems to have sucked all the fun out of it.
You mean Meteos? I thought that game was pretty addicting for while. The faster pace, the exciting visuals, the competitive ascept that was added(you going against the computer and firing blocks at eachother till one loses), it felt much more interesting for me.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Gamer137 post=9.72610.825972 said:
You mean Meteos? I thought that game was pretty addicting for while. The faster pace, the exciting visuals, the competitive ascept that was added(you going against the computer and firing blocks at eachother till one loses), it felt much more interesting for me.
No, Tetris DS; it just seems too fast, there are unlimited levels, the infinite spin has somehow been made that you can literally spin forever, and they got rid of the original music.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Syphonz post=9.72610.824958 said:
well i wouldn't say the best game evar..but flawless in design? quite possibly.

I challenge all of you, give me three VALID flaws in game design for Tetris, the 4 people sitting around me can't do it.
* Can't rotate the square blocks
* Can't beat level 28
* Keep running out of coins

Ok so maybe that first one isn't valid, in which case I'll put "* Can't focus in game because of annoying music"

Yes, by the way, I did play Tetris exclusively at an arcade.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
axia777 post=9.72610.826020 said:
Yes. Yes it is.
Gordan Freeman and I have all kinds of arguments against this statement. Half-Life 2 FTW.
Its not really fair to compare a game that has been out for 4 years against one that has lasted for 23. When HL2 reaches that kind of age, will it be as fondly remembered as Tetris is now? (Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed HL2, but it is an important question).