Is TF2 Perfect?

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
some random guy said:
Some things I don't like about TF2:

3. When, at the end of a game, the losing team lose the ability to control there weapons and the supply areas become accessible to the opposing team.
The team has already lost, they don't deserve to be unfairly killed by the winning team.

4. Pyros are too powerful against spies.
If a pyro flames everyone who appears to be on his team then a spy doesn't stand a chance. I think flames shouldn't appear on a spy when they're cloaked.
3. There's nothing wrong with this, it just adds to the comedic/hectic style of the game.

4. A pyro's main job is anti-spy, god knows it's hard enough to kill anything else with them! Also a good spy will spot the pyro soon enough to cast off his disguise and pop him with the revolver, most pyros on spotting a spy will run blindly towards them in a straight line meaning easy revolver kill.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
Random guy:
1. Agree. But, I'm usually do well =P
2. Disagree. Engineers are fine, they aren't overpowered. Its the placement of the sentry that causes the enemy problems, not the sentry itself. Any good demo or soldier can take out a poorly placed sentry with ease. But when they're in a good spot, they can be buggers to get rid of. Thats when this thing called "Tactics" comes in. (Usually in the shape of an ubered pyro/heavy
3.Disagree. You lost. Nuff said really, I just try to find a good hiding place (usually not good enough)
4.Disagree. Pyro's are the teams No.1 defense against spies, and fire isn't invisible. You just gotta be careful, thats easier said than done though..
5.Agree. Half the team just camps. Though with the Melee sudden death mod enabled, its much more fun, a random class is chosen and everyone spawns as that class, only able to use the melee weapon. Its funny as hell when scout is chosen.
6.Disagree. Potentially there are an infinite amount of maps available, but seeing as you're one of them Console gaming types you're shit outta luck. Though some new official maps would be nice.

Im not saying you're wrong about what you said, but thems how I feel about it. To each their own.

frantikgirl

Nov 22, 2007
As one of the many poor souls who played TF2 on the 360, I think the lag is unforgivable. I'd say that 75% of 16 player games have lag that makes the game unplayable. As someone else pointed out, no other FPS seems to have this problem on Live and Valve doesn't seem to care about fixing it. So although I LOVED TF2, I've switched over to COD4... because I can find a game in one minute as opposed to 15 minutes of checking and rechecking servers and entering games only to find it unplayable...

OK, I'm bitter.

felltablet

Nov 12, 2007
Why do all of you hate critical hits?
If I am not mistaken (which I may be) there is originally almost no chance, but it is increased based on the amount of points you get in a period of 20 seconds.
This discourages camping and therefore speeds up the gameplay.
Its not like the COD4 air-support perks that encourage staying alive.

Don Alejandro

Nov 15, 2007
On PC I have no issues with lag whatsoever. I suppose I made the right console choice? Anyway, I think soldiers seem a bit overpowered in close combat. I think one way to make them more balanced is to present a 'clear' range for their rockets. That is, they don't blow up right in front of you, it takes them a certain distance to travel before they become live or else they're duds which do significantly less damage and do not critical. But I don't really see this happening.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
felltablet said:
If I am not mistaken (which I may be) there is originally almost no chance, but it is increased based on the amount of points you get in a period of 20 seconds.
Seriously? Geez, I didn't know that. Hehe, I'll put that to good use.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
1. Paper is overpowered; it always beats rock. What's up with that?
2. Scissors always beats paper. Who said it was paper made from trees? What if it's diamond paper?
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors is just so freaking unbalanced.

... In conclusion, I have yet to see a strategy in TF2 that didn't have a viable counter (sometimes more than one, i.e. Spies or Ubers for taking out entrenched sentries). Whether you have someone on your team capable of or willing to performing that counter is a whole different question, but that is not the game's fault, at least not in my opinion.

The only exception to this is poorly designed maps, which none of the stock ones are (and thus, this exception only applies to the PC variant). If you end up on one on a custom map server, just mapvote, or change servers.

some random guy

Nov 4, 2007
felltablet said:
I think it's unfair for someone to die because of the person's past achievements just to speed up the gameplay a bit.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Don Alejandro said:
On PC I have no issues with lag whatsoever. I suppose I made the right console choice? Anyway, I think soldiers seem a bit overpowered in close combat. I think one way to make them more balanced is to present a 'clear' range for their rockets. That is, they don't blow up right in front of you, it takes them a certain distance to travel before they become live or else they're duds which do significantly less damage and do not critical. But I don't really see this happening.
Probably not, as it would make rocket jumping difficult.

deadly.by.design

Jan 30, 2008
Visually, I think it's a work of art.

Gameplay-wise, I really enjoy the "fun" feel that it has. That's right, folks - it's fun. No, it's not TF with all of the usual 'nade spamming, but I don't particularly care to play an updated version of ten years ago.

Crits can really be annoying, but you won't see me complaining about it when they land in my favor.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
The lack of maps is its only problem.
And no...Custom maps aren't an option, not because I'm playing it on the Xbox or PS3...its because most of them are just poorly made and are generally just rubbish :/

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
gibboss28 said:
The lack of maps is its only problem.
And no...Custom maps aren't an option, not because I'm playing it on the Xbox or PS3...its because most of them are just poorly made and are generally just rubbish :/
You haven't found the good ones.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
True, but i still stand by what i say about the lack of maps. That would be the only comparison in which team fortress comes up on top.

Kikosemmek

Nov 14, 2007
As a player who does not discriminate between classes, I'll point out my problems, which are fortunately few and far in between and not very substantial:

- First of all, the scout scatter gun needs to get a good hit from the nerfstick. I'm not saying it should be as weak as a shotgun, but the amount of damage it deals now coupled with the running speed the scout possesses makes for a very, VERY annoying enemy. Don't get me wrong- I play the scout. I play all classes, depending on what I think my team needs most. I recognize how overpowered the scatter gun is even when I kill people with it. I don't think it's fair- in an optimum range the scout would be just out of melee reach and would be pelting the other person at will while that other will be hard-pressed to simply aim at the scout. Most classes die within two or three direct hits from the scatter gun. I don't think that's fair at all.

- The spy's ability to 'backstab' from the front-side. You know what I mean- when you die while actually watching the spy who stabs you. I'm all for the spy being able to crit-kill while my back is turned and even from my side-and-back, just as long as I am not able to see him, but I am always frustrated when a spy succeeds in stabbing me and getting an easy, free kill which is very hard to prevent (especially if it's a good spy who made a genuine impression) and surely not intended to occur by the developers.

- The pyro, quite honestly, needs even more teeth than he already has. I think the fact that he's increasingly the scariest thing on the map the closer he gets is awesome. Many times, however, I noticed that even before I can get to some players, especially soldiers, or right as I start burning them, I tend to die very quickly. I think the pyro needs either a bit more speed or a bit more firepower. I'd go for a speed upgrade in order to allow pyros to reach their targets and be able to contribute to their team before getting pummelled. I mean, I face it- the pyro is a suicide class. You go in at close range and scare the living crap out of people- but that's the point: disruption. What disruption do you cause when two rockets can kill you on your way to a soldier, or when an explosive kicks you miles away from your target before you could even land a hit on it? It's the way of the game, sure, but I think it'd be a bit better if pyros got a small break.

Everything else about the game, however, is quite impressively well-balanced.

Don Alejandro

Nov 15, 2007
I have to agree that the Pyro does need a bit more firepower. His speed seems sufficient to me, and a good pyro ambushes. But an ambush means practically nothing against a solder who blasts his own feet with rockets and kills the pyro. A pyro who runs across a map to the enemy is asking for it, I kill them regularly as a spy.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
Thats why Pyro's have a shotgun. If I come across a soldier, I try to at least get him cookin' before getting out of spadge range and spamming him with my shotty.

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
I love this game. There's nothing more satisfying than sneaking up on a heavy being healed by 2 medics, wtfpwning your team, and inserting a sleek, glimmering, sexy knife into the medic's backs, then his.

One of the problems I had with the game was they changed Well to a CP map, I loved the old CTF well. And there was no Badlands map, my all time favorite map. But they have redeemed themselves on both accounts.

The soldier is a little frustrating, but nothing horrible, a soldier is perfect prey for spies because of their slow speed. Engineers can get annoying if no one is taking out their sentries, but as a spy that's not a huge deal, and it's quite fun to blow up lots of engineer crap.

This is probably my favorite online FPS game I have ever played.