Is TF2 Perfect?

EittilDratsab

Dec 9, 2007
There's a really good guide for Pyros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIISxhYRYE

I can say that I really have been getting better at the pyro because of that video.
But a skilled soldier will still make short work of even the best of pyros.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
My biggest beef with this game (Im gonna feel like such a wuss) is that its hard. I play it and I have fun but I will only get 2 or 3 kills a round. I feel that this game has a high case of 'if your good your great but if your bad well... sorry'

Example.

I go around as a heavy and shoot at people but they all manage to get behind me and BAM..Death.. I then jump ship to another class (scout mostly) and I apply the same tactic but no.. I get shot up into a million little bits.

I know im being really lame (or 'nooby' as those hardcore guys say) but I would much rather play CoD4 and overall (I have my ups and downs) play a lot better. I should practice but its hard to when your getting shot to hell before you work out the strenghs and weaknesses (my main weakness at the moment being lack of ability) of the character.

Having said all that I respect TF2 and their players as the smarter FPS players, unline the Halo or some CoD4 players who are all "killkillkillkillnoobfag!!1111!!kill"

Tom Edwards

Oct 3, 2006
There are three mistakes in TF2's design: sentry knockback, which removes player control; critical hits, which can cause instant death; and the lack of any tangible benefit for attacking.

The first two only happen on occasions, but the lack of encouragement for offence seriously harms almost every game I play (in Europe). Of course, there is encouragement, including the crit algorithm above which I didn't know about before, but for the vast majority of players I encounter it isn't enough and they do not attack.

My rule is that if I spawn, push past the battle lines with ease, but die alone in or on a vital objective area more than twice in a row I either try to join the other team or disconnect. I often bounce off five or six servers in a row while following it, because of the sheer number of people who are afraid of attacking - even on offence/defence maps with one- or two-second respawn timers for the attacking team!

I can recount many tales of the entire red team standing around behind a 1way gate, or having to fend off the entire enemy team as an engineer because nobody else is even trying to, or spectating from above and watching a lone pyro cause a knot of seven or eight combat classes to retreat, or people standing around watching a point being captured because they might have to expose themselves to danger to get it back, or, or, or...

It desperately needs an idiot-proof "momentum meter" to give these poor sods some indication of what they're doing wrong, and rewards for correcting themselves.

Bocca

Jan 17, 2008
NO! How can you even think about it? It has so many bad features, like: Some classes suck, wheres the teamplay and so on.

Uglycat

Feb 5, 2008
So nice to see my favourite 2 classes are the least played :F

Sentry knock back is the only thing I can think of that desperately needs sorting out. 3 full sg's will pretty much keep anyone out and if the other team has an engie-friendly pyro, there's physically no way of pushing past. The only way around this is to have the medic go first, take the knock back, and then pray that he can still maintain los with the uber.

Medics are getting a pack of extras so I'll hold off on them until that arrives.

Anniko

Dec 6, 2007
Uglycat said:
So nice to see my favourite 2 classes are the least played :F

Sentry knock back is the only thing I can think of that desperately needs sorting out. 3 full sg's will pretty much keep anyone out and if the other team has an engie-friendly pyro, there's physically no way of pushing past. The only way around this is to have the medic go first, take the knock back, and then pray that he can still maintain los with the uber.

Medics are getting a pack of extras so I'll hold off on them until that arrives.
You mean your medic didnt already take the knockback while ubered? That's been my standard tactic with heavies for ages. And the knockback is from all weapons, you just notice it so much more on SGs because all their bullets hit. Also, pyros are ambush classes, you jump down, set a bunch of people on fire and run off, if you keep expecting to get kills, you're doing it wrong. The scout scattergun is meant to be able to knock off a heavy in 5 hits... if you're insanely close, any further than medium range and it's a pointless weapon.

I do think that criticals need to go though, they make a fair element of the game rely on luck rather than skill.

[HD]Rob Inglis

Jan 8, 2008
Bocca said:
NO! How can you even think about it? It has so many bad features, like: Some classes suck, wheres the teamplay and so on.
None of the class are worse than any other classes, (except for soldier cause he's just a tiny tiny bit better then everyone else). Also, the game is oriented around teamwork, such as control point capturing or defending, gathering the intel, and simply fighting for your lives. Sure there will be the occasional who works only by themselves, but this game (unlike many others I don't need to mention) supports and encourages teamwork. All classes have their points, you just may not be good with some of them, making them seem like they suck. Happens.

GrowlersAtSea

Nov 14, 2007
Three sentry guns in one place (or even more) doesn't necessarily mean there is coordination or teamwork in play. There are some hot-spots for sentry gun placement that engineers will by default go and place them, depending on the map and where the fighting is (the courtyard/ramp room on 2fort, for example).

Just by them pursuing the best place to put their turrets for kills, they can wind up with something that you will need a lot of coordination to break. Three turrets can just come up in one place without teamwork, but three simultaneous Ubers to break that defense isn't going to happen by accident.

The result usually is stalemates (or failmates as I've heard some people in game refer to them as). When there's a good organized defense you need just so much teamwork to break them or so much time to get lucky that it makes more sense to fall back, sure up your own defenses, and wait for the timer to expire.

Mr. Bubbles

Sep 27, 2007
I only have the 360 version, so my opinions are bassed solely on it.

-The lag (I don't care about your opinion on this. If you don't believe it's a problem, you're wrong. End of discussion)
-Lack of maps. The ones there are are great, but there aren't enough. Besides, most people seem to cluster around 2Fort and Dustbowl.
-Lack of gametypes. While I know that death match would take the entire point out of the game, it would still be fun. And it's not like there aren't other game types to use. Seriously, I would kill for as little as another CTF map.
-I would also like some other classes, but only if they don't ruin the pre-existing ones.

Besides these complaints, I find TF2 to be at least as good as any other FPS game I've ever played.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
PLEASE NOTE:

Team Fortress 2 players consider there to be TWO games.
Team Fortress 2
and the TF2 Demo, also called Team Fortress 2 for X-Box 360.
Unfortunately, the console versions are nowhere near as good. We apologize. But if you are to criticize the game for something that is in the PC version, stop right there.

Therefore the lag and map complaints are pretty much null. The server I play on enjoys its custom maps (some made by the people who run it) more than the official ones. We have a "melee barn" where you are restricted to your melee weapon, and we had an amazing amount of fun on it.

I do sort of have to agree with the gametype thing. I don't see why they couldn't just include a Team Deathmatch mode, except maybe for some balance issues (like sentries)

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
I actually like the critical hit system. You can't say "Oh, this next shot is gonna crit." A well-placed crit can turn the tide of a battle.

Uglycat

Feb 5, 2008
Kwil said:
To counter them, you need to have some intelligent teamwork as well.
I hear what you're saying, but experience has taught me that unless the entire team is on teamspeak *and* cooperating, you've got nary a chance. I can't remember the map off the top of my head, but attacking the last control point means running round a corner smack into the entire team (the map funnels you into the last point). I've spent many unhappy minutes ubering (on both sides of the stream) and then going round the corner, only to be pinned against the wall until the uber fails and we all die. I physically cannot turn the corner to get to the turrets.

I suppose you might call this a design fault (any map should have 3 entries that approach from different directions - Hydro is a fairly good example), but a battery of sg's is an annoyance.

Axulciex

Nov 28, 2007
Only problem I have with tf2 is the sniper, which is weird because its my most played class.
when unscoped there is no possibility of a head shot, try zooming in the without moving your mouse then unzoom and fire (you'll need a friend to stand still on the other team) the shot will only register as a body hit. this really sucks as unscoped headshots would add a whole new dimension of skill to the game.

Just getting picky here but; snipers should be able to wall, if not through all surfaces then just wood.
Really how fucking awesome would that be, cs has done it years before why not tf2?

Uglycat

Feb 5, 2008
Axulciex said:
when unscoped there is no possibility of a head shot, try zooming in the without moving your mouse then unzoom and fire (you'll need a friend to stand still on the other team) the shot will only register as a body hit. this really sucks as unscoped headshots would add a whole new dimension of skill to the game.
If you've ever played games where sniper rifles can be used like this, it generally means sniper spam. All you have to do is to stick a small piece of blu-tack or playdoh on your screen where the centre point is, and then there's little skill. I like the way TF2 has forced snipers to snipe - through the scope - as it forces you to choose carefully whether you want that class or not, as you run the danger/risk of being killed while zoomed in. Otherwise maps like battlecreek would become stupidly lethal.

I like the shooting through wood idea though.

Esta

Jan 2, 2008
Well mate, he does wield a rocket launcher. I'd expect that to kill on solid hit. Its not a flaw, it was developed for the soldier to be able to do that.

JazzUK

Jan 14, 2008
some random guy said:
Some things I don't like about TF2:

3. When, at the end of a game, the losing team lose the ability to control there weapons and the supply areas become accessible to the opposing team.
The team has already lost, they don't deserve to be unfairly killed by the winning team.
This IS a fair point but I think that it is a good idea to have this. But what really annoys me is that kills here count towards 'revenge' or 'domination' which is hardly fair when you are about to change map and you can't get revenge on THEM or you think you have gotten away with a nemesis on your back

Paxmayne

Jan 30, 2008
I actually first bought this game as part of the orange box on the 360 and thought it sucked, but after being bugged constantly by a friend at university i decided to buy it on Steam too. And i love it! Best FPS for looooong time, imo.

2 major problems though:

- The Xbox360 (and likely PS3) version of this game simply sucks.
- Unless you find a good custom-map server(eg. Jiggly's fun house) the maps rotation gets old pretty quick

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
I don't understand the Soldier hate, seriously. If you get hit with a round from a bazooka, prepare to be gibbed. It's pretty straightforward and reasonable. It's the backbone of the offense of the team, the rockets are suited to deal with a heavy as well as a spy, it's a powerful weapon wielded by an offensive class. The flamethrower is comparably powerful, it simply doesn't have the range, and you burn, if teams learned to advance in a way that made sense, rather than a gaggle of people charging the other point, you'd see why the Pyro is easily comparable to the other offensive classes.