Is That Batman With a Gun? "Huge" Comic Changes Coming

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Is That Batman With a Gun? "Huge" Comic Changes Coming

Scott Snyder intends to take Batman to new and "weird" places after DC's Convergence event ends this June.

While <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/no-right-answer/10064-Best-Batman-Animated-Series-Creation-Harley-Quinn-vs-Mr-Freeze>Batman has definitely dipped his toes in the weird end of the pool on occasion, the character's modern formula has, for some time now, been fairly consistent. Brood, pummel villains, brood some more, repeat. That being the case, long-time Batman writer Scott Snyder has recently indicated that the end of series' current Endgame story arc will bring about some of the biggest changes the character has seen in a very long time.

Minor Spoilers Ahead!
"I'm not going to spoil it specifically, but I can tell you unequivocally, it is the boldest, weirdest, biggest thing we've ever tried on the book," said Snyder <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/snyder-promises-boldest-weirdest-status-quo-change-coming-to-batman-post-endgame>in a recent interview. "When Endgame ends, it will have changed the Bat-mythology in a huge way. When we pick up again in June, I think you'll be stunned to see how far we're taking it, in that regard." That Snyder would be promising something big isn't surprising. Now on his fifth year as the writer behind <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dc%20comics?os=dc+comics>DC's Batman comic, he's helmed a number of high profile storylines yielding lasting consequences for Gotham and its denizens. Endgame, for instance, has already established that the Joker could be a literally immortal being.

The big question, of course, is just how big of a change readers can actually look forward to. While Snyder is staying understandably mum, a released preview cover for Batman issue 41 looks as though it contains some pretty drastic clues. The cover depicts what looks like a new version of Batman wearing a mechanized combat suit and wielding a gun. While the armor itself could be a big shift on its own, we're more interested to see what could drive good ol' Bats to rescind his "no guns" rule and start using firearms (<a href=http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/52074/2151039-bat_gun.png>again). The answers should come next Wednesday when the final issue of Endgame lands in comic stores. Issue 41, meanwhile, is scheduled to release this June following the end of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/features/12605-Convergence-Brings-The-Pre-New-52-Back-To-DC-Comics>DC's Convergence event.

Source: <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/snyder-promises-boldest-weirdest-status-quo-change-coming-to-batman-post-endgame>Comic Book Resources

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
My guess is Batman got a major injury and this is his new body. A bit like Robocop.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
That looks hella lame. So glad I'm not following comics in general, but pick and choose my stories. On that note, anyone know of anything as good as Alias? :|

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
If that picture was taken out of context I would think it was a Metroid thing.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Until the end of the arc when they reveal it as an 'elseworlds' setting as they do with any big change that doesn't work. Then go back to the traditional formulae.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
We have judge dredd and the punisher to fit the competent role of justiciars already. Batman with an exoskeleton and a gun aren't going to fix anything about him they're just going to turn people off. If you want to fix batman have him become the old tired of it all criminals die now dark knight returns type batman so that he could be replaced by a young and new to it all batman beyond type batman...

Something something can we please have batman beyond again something something

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
*facepalm* oh I'm sure we'll be stunned...just not in a good way.

PS those ears/horns look really dumb.

Edit: Though thinking on it, to be fair, that suit does look better than that Final Fantasy Tetsuya Nomura version abomination.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
That looks like The Tic with a gun. Which is about as weird as my mind can handle for batman level of weird. Adding in Batmite would only make it more sane.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
For some reason that image makes me think of Azrael (the Warrior-Monk-prophecy guy who showed up in Arkham City). Is he still around? Because if so, I'll make a call that he's taking Bat's place again.

Also - the Joker's possibly immortal?! When did that happen?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
All I can say is Mecha Batman? Also meh, we all know it won't last for long, I mean look at Superior Spider-man! It's over now and it's back to Spectacular Spider-man!

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
If that is meant to be batman it looks like just designed a generic sci-fi cop suit and then stuck some spindly silly looking ears to the helmet when they remembered it was suppose to have a bat motif.

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, maybe they genuinely have an alternate take on character they want to explore and maybe it will work. It just seems like a lot time with comics they try to out weird and make make the most 'shocking' change to a character than what has come before and it gets ridicules. I don't know if it's the writers trying to make a big mark or if it the excects trying to draw readers with gimmcks but most of the time it just turns into a mess and everything gets reset again.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not confident this is Batman as much as a shot from a comic involving Batman. That aside, I freakin' LOVE Capullo's pencils. He can make any comic look interesting, even if it's the most boring thing around.

OT: I don't know if completely changing a characters dynamic is a smart move. They shouldn't do things that cannot be undone without another universe reboot, they do one of those every 5-10 years because they let writers do whatever they want, including fundamentally changing characters.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That doesn't look very Batman-ish, it looks like a revamped version of the Blue Beetle.