Is That Batman With a Gun? "Huge" Comic Changes Coming

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
That looks more like an armored/mechanized police unit, stylized in Batman fashion.

Look at the colors of the suit. It's blue with streaks of white, like police vehicles are often patterned. Also notice the blue and red lights on the back, indicative of police siren functions. It's more likely a Robo-Batman-Cop or some stupid "Since Batman is good a fighting crime. Dressing police up like Batman should also make them good at fighting crime" logic.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:
Gordon_4 said:
Wonder Woman came out of this with a new costume too:

Which in a strange twist of fate; is actually pretty damn good. The arm blade things are a tad tacky and a few other minor things, but all in all it's pretty cool.
Hmmmmm. It's very Judge Dredd with the shoulder pauldrons. And those blades; hey, it's Wolverine! Ugh... :\
Judge Dredd? More like a mash of Captain America and X-23!

Seriously though, in regards to the 'big' changes for DC, it seems like a paltry attempt to catch up to Marvel who have made some significant changes. Teenage Muslim Ms Marvel, Black Latino Spider-Man with slightly different powers, Falcon taking over as Captain America and there are probably several others that they have done...

Honestly, this seems kinda sad from DC... Kinda

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
Really?
Do you have ANY knowledge of Batman whatsoever?
BATMAN DOES NOT USE GUNS!!! It is part of his BASIC character tenets that he doesn't use guns!
This is not being "new" and "original" this is just ignoring the very basic and most simple of character staples! If Batman is given a gun he's not Batman, he's just a fancy Punisher. Think about Mario, for example; if they made a Mario game (remember that his original name was "Jumpman") where you can't jump or get off the grund at all, that would not be "new" and "fresh", it would be complete insult to the character.
When somebody suggests overwriting the ONE thing that has been consistent in ALL depictions of the character (Even Miller, FRANK FUCKIN' MILLER'S BATMAN!) that shows they are a hack and need to be thrown out.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
MonsterCrit said:
Okay.. first they give Superman the power tro 'Explode' as a new superpower... and now this.. wait didn't they already do something like this after the whole Knightfall thing?

Ugh? Man..I mean say what you want about Manga but dammit at least their characters retain some level of consistency and the stories actually go somewhere.. I think that's the problem here. DC and MArvel have reached a point where they've been telling the stories of these guys for decades and decades but the most important part to any story is an ending. THe hero's journey must end. It's only at the end of a story you reflect on how the character has changed, grown, and the story carries an over all message.

When the story is just dragged on indefinitely and passed from writer, to writer to writer.... it becomes well, a bit of butter spread over too much bread. I think DC has reached that point. What's worse the heroes themselves are no longer inspiring.
Ro-Bat-Cop! Am I doing this right? Can I have a cookie? Looking at this and the other costume changes shown in these comments, it looks like the 90's aesthetics are back in full swing. Where's Liefeld?

Yes, I totally agree with you. There are good manga and bad, just like there are good western comics and bad. But this idea of immortal heros just seems so tired. You mentioned the writers - and kudos to them and all for managing such a crazy task over the last 50 years (!!!); I do not envy them. The characters don't seem to have arcs or goals or aspirations or any of that. That would require an actual over-arching story. And they've been at this for so long, the story gets more and more thin.

I can't think of any equivalent in manga. There are indeed stories that span years. But they are actual stories. Someone creates some characters and weaves a tale with a clear beginning middle and end. The characters develope and grow. They either succeed or fail in their ambitions. And once the conclusion happens, someone makes new characters and weaves a new tale. As you said, "[T]he most important part to any story is an ending".

In the mainstream hero comics industry though, how many Spiderman versions are there? How man Lanterns? Etc.? Instead of actually making a STORY they just put a new person in old shoes and force the archetype upon them. Make a NEW character with their OWN story, conflict and resulution. Make them cool because of who they are, not because they happen to also fit in the same spandex costume as someone else.

That is not innovation. It's (to use my own bread analogy) filling a lump of old, stale, moldy bread with cream and pretending it's a tasty eclaire.

And don't even get me started on the cash-grab reboot / gotta buy all the issues for every character to keep up to speed on the "story" garbage that Marvel and DC have been doing for years and years...

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
Nothing says "Terror of the Night" and "Stealth" quite like heavy Power Armor. Well, maybe if this Batman is like Batman Beyond, where it isn't Bruce Wayne, but someone else who took up the name, it could be okay. I just don't see how they'd work Bruce Wayne as they've established him for the past couple decades to suddenly become an edgy Iron Man.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Good lord, pretty much every one of those designs make me want to vomit, especially Batman's and Wonder Woman's redesign.
I think the Wonder Woman design is the only one of them that doesn't make me want to slam my head on a wall. The only thing about her design that I don't like is the blades on her arms but besides that it looks good but yeah.... the Batman one burns my eyes and If that Bruce Wayne in that suit using guns fuck you dc I'm done.

I hate the superman design the most. It looks like a design from a crappy deconstruction of superman from someone who know nothing about superman. It's just looks so hipster edge it hurts.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Good lord, pretty much every one of those designs make me want to vomit, especially Batman's and Wonder Woman's redesign.
Honestly, WW has the best design of the three. What? You haven't seen Superbro's new costume?

[img=http://i.imgur.com/RGu7jqI.jpg]http://i.imgur.com/RGu7jqI.jpg[/img]

Meet SUPERBRO! Laziest costume ever!

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
xaszatm said:
Honestly, WW has the best design of the three. What? You haven't seen Superbro's new costume?

[img=http://i.imgur.com/RGu7jqI.jpg]http://i.imgur.com/RGu7jqI.jpg[/img]

I like that name for this design. from this day forward he shall be SuperBro

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
tf2godz said:
I think the Wonder Woman design is the only one of them that doesn't make me want to slam my head on a wall. The only thing about her design that I don't like is the blades on her arms but besides that it looks good but yeah.... the Batman one burns my eyes and If that Bruce Wayne in that suit using guns fuck you dc I'm done.

I hate the superman design the most. It looks like a design from a crappy deconstruction of superman from someone who know nothing about superman. It's just looks so hipster edge it hurts.
It's just way too fucking over-designed and looks like someone took bits and pieces from a bunch of different costumes and stitched them together. The shoulder pads, knife bracelets, knee high boots, body suit, and stars going down the side are individually not bad design choices but together they simply do not mesh well at all. That's not even mentioning the arbitrary use of color. Seriously, why the fuck would you use gold and silver like that? You either you one or the other, you don't have them fighting for dominance over the entire damn costume. This all is made even worse due to the previous costume actually being pretty good. Superman's street clothes look is just boring, I can deal with clothing. What I can't deal with is over-design.
xaszatm said:

Like I said, I prefer lazy and bland over something that aggressively assaults my eyes like the Batman or Wonder Woman costume.
I'm fine with the custom. It colorful, it stands out and it actually looks like a wonder woman instead of a bunny iron man suit tony made when he was drunk or a Bro guy who thinks he's so deep putting on a superman shirt. I don't think the designs is prefect (I would have given her the old bracelets instead of the spike ones and I think the colors are too washed out) but I will take that over iron bunny and Superbro any day but you are free to have your own opinion about it.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
vagabondwillsmile said:
I can't think of any equivalent in manga. There are indeed stories that span years. But they are actual stories. Someone creates some characters and weaves a tale with a clear beginning middle and end. The characters develope and grow. They either succeed or fail in their ambitions. And once the conclusion happens, someone makes new characters and weaves a new tale. As you said, "[T]he most important part to any story is an ending".
You see that's the issue. I mean even Manga like Naruto, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha and Dragonball Ended. They had a character arcs, there was a long term plan more or less. You could see the characters change in some ways and grow. But any growth Marvel and DC characters undergo can't even be taken seriously since 'It's only until the next continuity wipe'.

I'll admit they have their reasons I mean DC has to keep printing Wonder Woman comics or the rightys revert back to the creator's family (and you know Marvel would be the first one at their door with a suitcase full of money when that happens.)

And don't even get me started on the cash-grab reboot / gotta buy all the issues for every character to keep up to speed on the "story" garbage that Marvel and DC have been doing for years and years...
Oh yeah...man I remember the days when you could buy one comic and keep up with a story arc. Now bloody everything is a cross over. At least when I buy One Piece Manga I know I don't have to buy a Naruto, , 3 Dragonball, and Astroboy just to follow a damned story arc.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Banjo-Kazooie Blue said:
That picture is not of Batman. I'm almost positive what we're seeing in this image is the Blue Beetle, who for whatever reason is going to be on the cover of Batman that month.
What's this?

Someone waiting before jumping to conclusions?

You can't possibly be an actual comic book fan.

OT: I'm most disappointed in the Superman design, to be honest. I liked his armored New 52 look, and kinda hope they're just pulling another Action Comics thing here. But if Batman really turns out to be Mechbunny, then... er... yeah, I'm not sure how I'll feel. But Snyder and Capullo's run on Batman has been one of my favorite comics that I've been reading and catching up on, so I have a little bit of faith at least.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
Wonder Woman came out of this with a new costume too:

Which in a strange twist of fate; is actually pretty damn good. The arm blade things are a tad tacky and a few other minor things, but all in all it's pretty cool.
I can't help but agree with you there. Aside from impractical arm blade things that's really good, for a comic book superhero suit. I mean practicality is pretty low on the list of "important things in designing what they wear", I imagine being unique, recognizable and fitting the general themes of the character takes priority - why else is it almost always skintight spandex-like materials and not, you know, armor?

Huh, come to think of it armor seems more like a Marvel than a DC thing. DC does neat costumes though.

Captcha: and that's the way it is. Possibly so captcha.

Internet Zen Master

Aug 20, 2014
FirstNameLastName said:
That armour looks rather stupid. I know I'm a bit late to make bunny jokes since this has already been observed, but it really does look like a robotic Easter Bunny. If your first reaction to a character is to guffaw with laughter, then it seems a lost cause trying to make them gritty and serious beyond that point.
Actually, the forum/anime/discussion/whatever-the-fuck-its-trying-to-be-now site Gaia Online uses a man-sized robotic (scratch, that apparently he's a cyborg) Easter Bunny when it did any Easter-themed events. Still does, last I heard.

So yeah, when I saw that picture the first image that jumped to mind was Gaia's 'Robocop'-like Easter Bunny and me going: 'okay, who let Gaia Online's concept artists near DC comics?'

Seriously, who the heck though making the 'ears' of the costume stick up a foot higher than the rest of the suit was a good idea? Even if the ears are supposed to function as some sort of comm system, its an extremely impractical design choice for two reasons: 1, it could cause issues with where Bats can go (even the ears can bend back, that still wastes valuable time in the middle of a fight), and 2, Batman is supposed to be intimidating/striking fear into villains. Even with that gun, that suit is not intimidating, just goofy-looking.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The one line he will never cross... except for the several hundred times they want him to.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Hmm.. Blue and red lights? A gun? I'm currently running with the theory that it's Gordon.

SuperBro's new costume is just lazy. It also makes zero sense that they'd give him a new costume during the latest arc, only to make a completely new one post-Convergence. It really does seem that DC are embarrassed to stick with anything which makes Superman iconic (getting rid of the old costume and now his cape).

Wonder Woman's outfit I actually really like. The arm blades suck, sure, but having the leather-like material underneath makes it seems a lot more practical, while allowing the bits over the top to keep a fair amount of the old look. However, I'd rather they just stick with Fabok's design from the current JL run...

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Fox12 said:
Why is it so impossible for them to get non shit-tier writers in this industry?
It's not impossible; they just don't want the non-shit-tier writers.

The Comics industry as a whole is kinda like a GameStop location where some derp-bro managed to ascend to the management position. They're more interested in getting their buddies a job than finding quality employees. They're barely capable of doing their jobs, but so long as they keep squeaking by, and hitting corporate's constantly dwindling expectations of them, they're allowed to keep making a mess.

Only, now Corporate has realized that, maybe, just maybe, they could make real money from that location, and derp-bro's on notice. So, they're starting to freak out, and trying to clean the place up, without actually having to make any changes.