Is 'The C Word' Sexist?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
I'm not going to mill around. This thread is about the word ****.

I've seen a lot of people get incredibly offended by the word **** being used as an insult. Obviously, it's a very strong word, but the people who dislike it that much usually say that it is sexist. Being British, I believe these people to be wrong, but I would like some bloody Yanks to explain to me how sexist it really is over there, for I have heard conflicting reports.

Any people of differing nationalities may also give perspective on how **** is used in their nation.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I'm also British, and I don't consider it sexist. I do think it's quite a strong insult though, and it's one I generally reserve for people who I feel truly deserve it(i.e. politicians).

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
In North America, it's pretty much the worst word you could use on a woman. I know it's fairly commonly used elsewhere, but here it's pretty horrible. If someone said it to me, or someone I cared about (and meant it), there would probably be a punch to the face involved.

My sister and I call each other it sometimes when we're really angry at each other, though (we're both adults). On the flipside, my mother can't stand the word and gets really upset when she hears it. It's a little more common with my generation (Gen X/Y), but still not a word used in normal speech. Or even hateful speech. Throw 'fuck' around all you want, but if someone says '****', it's gone too far for most people.

Edit: The sexist part of it, I guess, would be the fact that it's insulting a woman to the nth degree and saying all she is is her body parts. And in media, it usually is the word reserved for those committing assaults or who really have issues with women.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Just in case, I never use it. Just like the words *****, whore and slut, it's got ugly implications and it's not like there's a shortage of swear words I can use instead.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
D-d-d-did s-someone mention th-th-the "S" WORD?!?

MuSt-CoNtRol-FiSt-oF-DEATH!!!

*gasps for self control*

On...topic...

No. In some cultures it's barely considered pejorative (England) while in others it's highly offensive (USA).

It's typically used as an insult but it isn't inherently more s-s-s-the "S" WORD than calling someone a "dick".

Leaving...I must go--now!

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Huh, I thought you where going to say 'Culture secretary' (Is that joke too old now, after how many years does it stop being a 'current event'?)

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
You have to be fair if you want to call it sexist.

If the word "dick" isn't sexist to you, then the "c-word" shouldn't be to you, either, for instance.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I could never understand that. Why does it matter what word someone uses to offend you? If someone really wants to offend someone he might not even have to slur. Or what, when someone screams "YOU *****!" it's okay, but when the same guy in same situation screams "YOU ****!" it's somehow different?
Intend is what matters. Hell, all my skype calls with friends start with "Sup, *INSERT ANY RUSSIAN WORD FOR VAGINA HERE*" and we laugh at it. But when I screw up and my friend just says "you are stupid" it really hurts.

YunakoTheWitch

Feb 24, 2013
Really? I didn't think anyone took that word seriously, most everyone I know doesn't even consider it to be a real insult, something smaller then "Idiot" Strange.. I live in Colorado though, Maybe its a regional thing? People call each other cu##s and other various words all the time for $$$$s and giggles (I'm 25 so its not like I'm in middle school or something) my self though, I never use the word... it just sounds stupid to me, like a half assed attempt at a insult. I'm truly intrigued that anyone finds it offensive at all.
(Edited for Respect for others)

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Copper Zen said:
D-d-d-did s-someone mention th-th-the "S" WORD?!?
What's the s-word? "Stupid"? If so I can totally understand your stance.

OT: "****" can't be a truly offensive word, it starts with a K-sound, which is scientifically proven the most fun sound in the English language!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Well, I can understand why it'd be considered sexist. It's basically calling someone "you vagina!" after all, as if vaginas and by extention the possession thereof is a bad thing.

But then again, I do use cocksucker as one of my top tier swears, and I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with that activity whatsoever. I might be slightly hypocritical on that point.

I do, however, tend to avoid to use swears that targets a woman's sexuality. Why? Because they're the kind of swears that are bad. I still remember the high school days, when "whore" and the likes where nothing than an awful way of policing girl's sexuality and self-worth, in effect, keeping both those values trodden down. And that is revolting. I also try to avoid the guy-version of that, too, and avoid using "gay" as a negative quality in a swear. But as the "cocksucker"-example above shows, I've still got some ironing out to do.

I guess it all depends on targeting and context, in the end.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, yes, you are using an obscene term for female genitalia as an insult.

However, the amount that it is sexist is based on the amount that it's an insult. As mentioned, this varies a lot, in places where it's not particularly obscene or insulting, I'd say it's much less sexist.

It does come with a lot of baggage though.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Not in Britain.

I once participated in a 67-post Facebook discussion about how much of a **** Jeremy Kyle is. The word came up in basically every post.

Yeah, not exactly a big deal.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Depends if you consider calling someone a cock/prick/dick sexist.

If you do, then yes (and grow up); if no, then no.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It has a pretty crude connotation, so you can't help but feel that initial punch when uttered. But I wouldn't call it sexist.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Definitely not in Britain, although we don't have all that 'check your privilege' malarkey. People just deal with it.

Our Atheists don't flip out when someone says "Happy Christmas" to them either, so I guess we must be really laid back or something.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It depends in who's using it and the intent behind using it really.

I call people cunts all of the time, as do most of my friends.

If an American uses it and means it in a derogatory way, it's pretty sexist then. It seems to be a much more loaded word in the states.

hotdogoctopus

Jun 16, 2009
A word can't be sexist. It is a word. The voice behind it can be sexist. It is a voice.

Conversation over.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
IndomitableSam said:
In North America, it's pretty much the worst word you could use on a woman. I know it's fairly commonly used elsewhere, but here it's pretty horrible. If someone said it to me, or someone I cared about (and meant it), there would probably be a punch to the face involved.

My sister and I call each other it sometimes when we're really angry at each other, though (we're both adults). On the flipside, my mother can't stand the word and gets really upset when she hears it. It's a little more common with my generation (Gen X/Y), but still not a word used in normal speech. Or even hateful speech. Throw 'fuck' around all you want, but if someone says '****', it's gone too far for most people.

Edit: The sexist part of it, I guess, would be the fact that it's insulting a woman to the nth degree and saying all she is is her body parts. And in media, it usually is the word reserved for those committing assaults or who really have issues with women.
I thought the worst word was "*****"? You know since ***** pretty much means " female dogs" . And you know how dogs are obedient , and loyal , and does what their master tells them . People ( especially women ) hate being called bitches because it's basically calling them dogs , and telling them they aren't people . However , i will admit that i am guilty of calling everyone and their mother a ***** ( including mine ) despite knowing that . Yes i'm a horrible person . I try ( really hard i may add ) to never call a woman a ***** unless she a) deserves it or b) am friends with me and i know she won't mind .

OT: **** . Means vagina right ? I can see why that's offensive and sexist . Women don't want to be perceived as walking vaginas ( I.E things to put you penis in ). So sure it's sexist . But not more than an array of other words . Every demographics has an offensive word to describe them .

On a side note . What the hell are we suppose to call people or say to the. When we get angry or they piss us off? THEIR TAKING AWAY ALL MY WORDS!