Is the Clone Wars worth watching?

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Netflix recently added the star wars clone wars series and I decided to give it a try. I figured I would like it because I am a big star wars fan and didn't have any problems watching other kid targeted cartoons like avatar. However, I have gotten through the first 7 or 8 episodes, and it has been painful to watch between the childish episode plots, breaks of the universe canon, and every single droid apparently being programmed by the three stooges. So the main questions that I want to ask anyone who has seen the series is will it get better and is would skipping ahead to later seasons be skipping anything good/important?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
If you're talking about the 2D actual cartoon, it's pretty good from what I recall (and I believe it even won some awards). If you're talking about the 3D CGI show, yeah, you can probably give that one a skip.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I found both the 2D and 3D shows enjoyable. There is some "interesting" plot to be had though the droids will almost always be morons. I imagine that the Stormtroopers will fill in their role in Rebels.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
It's an ok show. Watched a few seasons of it and thought it was alright compared to what was on at the time. Only real issue I have is the complete disregard of the EU.

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
The 3D series only has a few gems. Usually those occur when we're NOT looking at Anikin and Obi-Wan. They also appear to occur in later seasons. Things like Season 3's "Clone Cadets" and Season 5's "The Gathering" aren't bad. The plots are usually paper-thin. There's nothing you can't call within five minutes of knowing the basic setup. However when it comes to watching things like this, it's not what the plot is, it's can the show entertain you enough with what it does to make the plot being what it is less of an issue or a non-issue?

It's not terrible I think, but marathoning it to watch the entire series is NOT the way to go. One consistency I've found though, is that when the show focuses on the troopers and not the Jedi, things tend to get more enjoyable.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
RJ 17 said:
If you're talking about the 2D actual cartoon, it's pretty good from what I recall (and I believe it even won some awards). If you're talking about the 3D CGI show, yeah, you can probably give that one a skip.
Yeah, that's pretty much all you need to know right there.

Also, no stupid sidekick in the 2D one.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
As someone else said, the episodes weren't about Anakin and Snippy were pretty good. The ones with them were still decent. I haven't seen it in a while, so it may be a bit nostalgia blind.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I pretty much view that series to be "switch your brain off" sort of show. Ok sure the action itself is nowhere near good compared to the animated counterpart but it's still pass the time.

I too find the show to be inconsistent with the episode timeline (e.g. one episode is a preclude to its animated movie and then some episode later it feature a character who died several episodes ago!!)and at times the episode plot conclusion is rush (like Family Guy).

Lastly there is no weight to it since we all seen Revenge of the Sith so all of their action on the war will be in vain.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
2D Clone Wars is fantastic. 3d Clone Wars is a mixed bag. For me, it goes like this:

Season 1: a decent, if rocky start that gets really good towards the end.

Season 2: all around the best season of the show, unfortunately falls apart towards the end, but has some of the best the show has to offer.

Season 3: starts out with a good two parter, shits the bed in the middle, and finishes really strong.

Season 4: an "okay" season, has some really good episodes, but also some really bad ones.

Season 5: load of crap that butchers storylines set up in the first few seasons.

Season 6 lost episodes: mediocre overall, some good, mostly dull.

Cpt.Ash

Oct 19, 2013
I find if you watch it (the 3D version) as a comedy rather than anything serious it's really quite good.

Note: Friends and beer make the experience better.

You will however still want to force choke Jar Jar.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Which Clone Wars series is this?

If this is the older 2D version by Samurai Jack's creator Genndy Tartakovsky then hell yes you should continue. Remember how sad General Grevious was in Episode 3? In this series he is a certified hero killer.

The only thing I remember about the 3D series was that Grevious had stock footage of him escaping via ship.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I haven't seen the 2D version. The 3D version is alright, it has some pretty decent plot-lines and stories, but a good amount of the show has entire arcs focusing on R2D2 and C3PO, Jar Jar Binks, or on child jedi, or other crap that's supposed to be appealing to children and sell toys, and those sections are TERRIBLE.

So I'd say about 1/4 of the show is bad, about 1/2 the show varies from good to great, and 1/4 of the show is just kind of mediocre, so it's really a mixed bag in terms of what you're getting.

Gamer87

Nov 22, 2013
I love Clone Wars. Not all episodes are great, in fact some are terrible. But there are gems to be found as well. I've found the quality varies greatly between different writers for the episodes.

Ventress is awesome and I've come to absolutely love Ahsoka (that last episode of season 5 OMG YES!!!) and maybe the best thing about the series is that Anakin actually comes off as the likeable, cool, slightly renegade Jedi with a Han Solo edge that he was supposed to be instead of the annoying kid/creepy jerk he was in the prequel trilogy.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
I've never watched the 3D one, but I've heard both good and bad stuff about it.

The 2D one is SO GOOD. God I loved that, and now I'm going to have to watch it again.

Genndy Tartakovsky, please come back to us. Finish Samurai Jack, I will give you all of the money.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
As far as I know, S1 is pretty garbage. S2 was semi-decent, but only the Holocron Heist and the Nightsisters trilogy is really any good.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
I actually really liked it. I found the first few seasons to be fairly average with nothing special, whereas the later seasons were what I thought were good. There are quite a few complaints that it butchers the EU in many ways, but that is speaking as if the most of the EU is worth preserving to begin with. In fact, in the last few episodes (the lost missions) there are quite a few references to the EU ranging from subtle (discussion of battling a terentetek) to pretty blatant (Darth Bane shows up in a certain capacity).

I found the episodes that focus on Oni-wan and the clone troopers to be the best, because it deals more with their more human sides. This is especially true with the clones, where they are all characterized decently only to have them all die. The ones with Anikan or Ashoka were usually good, though they almost always focused on Anikan's slow descent to the dark side (or in the case of the Mortis arc, really damn quick descent). When Jar Jar shows up, just skip the episode altogether. It features his usual antics of success through stupidity. The sections that focus on the droids were... I can't actually remember much. I remember an episode where a clone lost his memory, but whenever the droids are the focus, it usually isn't good. The parts that I actually liked the most is probably the most controversial: a certain character shows up who is previously established to have died and I actually liked it. If you have seen the show, you know who it is.

In the third season, I believe, they show that Darth Maul survived being cut down to Ewok levels of height and survived the fall down the pit because of his pure hatred for Obi-wan. To me this was definitely in line with previously established powers relating to the dark side, considering that Darth Sion built his whole persona around being unkillable. When he shows up to wreck shit, the show definitely goes to its darkest. Beheadings, child slaughter, and torturing people for his own amusement. Also he gets a black lightsaber, which is just made of badass.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Both the 2D and 3D were enjoyable.

I was extremely sceptical toward the 3D show at first, but it did have some really great moments as well (bad ones too, but you see that with many shows).

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Really weird... Most places I go everyone praises the 3D show (to which I loved a shit ton, the fianl couple of seasons in particular), but seems like here there is a subtle hatred or the very least uncaring for it.

Hell there is a lot of worry on other sites that the new show Rebels, won't be up to the standard left by TCW.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The Clone Wars is...difficult to get through. I have seen almost every episode (think I've missed one or two), and there are some great moments in the series.
Of course, these moments come when the show deals with Asoka, Clone Troopers, or other characters whose fate has not already been written. You can put Obi, Anankin, Yoda, or any other fan favorite in the most impossible, dangerous, edge-of-your-seat-oh-my-gosh-how-are-they-going-to-survive stories, but since you know they can't die, all of that is wasted.

Some good episodes involve Domino Squad. A really good batch of episodes, and probably the best of the series I think, is a four part story. It involves Captain Rex and the 501st. They are shipped off to another planet and placed under a different Jedi's command. This story is amazing because all bets are off. Any character can die, because none of them are established in the movies. This is what Clone Wars could be if they had just left Anakin, Obi, Padme, and the others in the background. Unfortunately, far too many episodes focus on those very characters. Even poor Asoka--you know, the person this series was supposed to be about--is often left out in the cold.