Is The Dress Blue or White? Why The Internet Just Lost Its Mind

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Hagi said:
Genuinely curious, do you see the top colors here also as white and gold?
Only as much as anyone can see them as black and blue.

Yes, the pixels themselves are clearly brown and light grey, but they are the same shade that would normally be used for white and gold in a shade, NOTHING AT ALL like the dark blue and black that other people claim to see, and that is shown on other photos of the same dress.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
"So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black."
So what am I doing when I see blue and gold?

It's a fun little eye experiment, but did people seriously lose their shit over this?

Edit: For anybody who wants to test they're eyes to see how well they see color and in what areas they may be lacking. The Online Color Challenge [http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge] is a fun thing to do when you're bored.
I have perfect score on the color test, and The dress is clearly a strong blue and black. Different color variations may also be affected by different monitors as well. I order fabric online frequently, and my settings are pretty exact to the colors of the fabric I receive, however my friends monitor showed the same fabric in a different color than my monitor did.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Strazdas said:
Why does this dress look white one moment, and blue the next?
It looked white. so i had to doublecheck. Photoshop confirmed that its blue and gold.

We like to think our eyes can be trusted above all else
no, our eyes are actually quite horrible because we never fully evolved to see above-ground unlike some other mammals. this is why human eyesight, as much as we rely on it, are inferior to many other animals. our eyes have many flaws. they are actually horrible are representing "reality". yet we rely on them a lot.

Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story said the dress was blue and gold, which was a misreading of one of the quotes from our source. The dress is actually blue and black and the story has been updated. We blame the llamas.
well then blame the camera operator because the actual RGB color in that picture is 120:106:67 which resolves to a brownish gold. (of course with variation for shadows). the blue area resolves to 128:140:178 which is light blue. if the dress was not blue and gold then the camera taking the picture has failed.

TopazFusion said:
Rest assured, the dress is actually blue and black, as the image from the dress's online store page confirms:
I put it on photoshop exported the color and made a new image that was filled entirely with that single color, so no contrast illusions. the colors of the image is blue and gold/brown. if the dress does not match the problem exists with the photo camera and not the eyes.

Silentpony said:
I don't get it. I saw Blue and gold instantly, showed it to my roommate, he say blue/gold and then his girlfriend also saw blue/gold(Although to be fair she said either gold or metallic yellow)
You guys sure this isn't just a taco news that got you? That the joke is there is no joke? That it's just a picture of a dress and someone is telling you it changes colors.
thumbnail looked blue and gold. image looked white and gold. doublechecked in photoshop - blue and gold.

Hagi said:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-z93DwW0AAvn4G.jpg:large
People who are used to taking pictures will "auto-correct" it as just having horrible white-balance which is exactly what it initially looks like. and if you actually correct that with idea that it is white you get the left picture from Lightknight.

as far as gold part goes, its quite clear that the "Grey" ones are picked from shadows. the yellow one is what the non-shadow portion of that dress looks like. its not gold, but its brownish yellow.
It is black and blue, not blue and gold, you took a bad sample. You don't take a sample of the area being hit by the light source. LOL
I have a perfect score on my color test, and my monitor settings are set to match the actual fabric colors I receive.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
Johkmil said:
Interestingly enough - two thirds (67%) of the readers on Norwegian broadcaster NRK's pages sees it as white and gold. So technically we should have enough of a majority to be able to constitutionally rule it white. Yay, democracy!

http://www.nrk.no/kultur/debatten-raser-pa-twitter_-hvilke-farger-er-det-pa-denne-kjolen_-1.12232435 (Source in Norwegian)
Yes, and then it becomes an international issue, with different countries declaring what colour it is. Eventually we have 3 sides (white and gold, Blue and black, and a more neutral option) and then world war 3 is started. Over a bad picture of a dress. Yay, democracy. :p

Lil devils x said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
"So people either discount the blue side, in which case they end up seeing white and gold, or discount the gold side, in which case they end up with blue and black."

It's a fun little eye experiment, but did people seriously lose their shit over this?

Edit: For anybody who wants to test they're eyes to see how well they see color and in what areas they may be lacking. The Online Color Challenge [http://www.xrite.com/online-color-test-challenge] is a fun thing to do when you're bored.
I have perfect score on the color test, and The dress is clearly a strong blue and black. Different color variations may also be affected by different monitors as well. I order fabric online frequently, and my settings are pretty exact to the colors of the fabric I receive, however my friends monitor showed the same fabric in a different color than my monitor did.
I also got a perfect score on the colour test, and I see it as light blue/purple and brownish gold. I can't bring myself to seeing it as white and gold, nor black and blue, and I've tried to adjust the settings on my computer and looking at the pictures that's supposed to make that possible. The colour test doesn't seem relevant to what you perceive as the colour of the dress. :/

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I first saw the picture in a Google news link and to me it looked like dirty white and gold. Then I went to another tab looked at some other crap on the internet, and when I came back to the article it looked blue and black......This is annoying the hell out of me, so I've been looking for more pictures of the stupid thing and I mostly see blue and black. only one other time did I see it as white gold then change back to blue black. I want to know what's happening in my brain.

OK, OK.....It's my monitor if i view the image from a high angle it looks white and gold but move to viewing from a lower angle it turns blue black. Just moving my head around like a jackass in front of my monitor. I'm done, out, good luck internet.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
LOL my place was getting tented and so we had a bit of rare family time camping in the front yard when the only electronic links to the outside world we had were 2 phones and we were all discussing this dress last night. I didn't bother to look, probably because I didn't get what the big deal was, but my brother said "Everyone's just idiots, this dress is obviously white and gold."

First time I see this dress is in this thread, and it's definitely blue and black. I also aced the online color test 100%. Now if I can stop staring at computer monitors for hours on end, my vision might stay nice like this for a while.

Edit: Is it normal for the borders of this thread to be yellow, descending into white as you scroll lower?

Double edit: My mom thinks the dress is blue and tan. Fucky

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I guess it doesn't work on me, seeing the picture before reading the article and it's just blue and black, could the colour quality of a monitor affect it too?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hagi said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh man, thanks for putting those pictures up. I was looking at the one in this article and trying to figure out how you could possible get blue and black out of that picture. But then, I saw your three pictures and for just a second, maybe even half a second, the one in the middle darkened enough that I could briefly see the trick. Otherwise, I was just going to go nuts trying to see this.
This is pretty freaking cool.

Since you asked, I'll tell you. :)

I'm assuming you mean the squares on top, yes? Starting from left and going right:

Blue. Not super blue, closer to a pastel shade I guess? But certainly blue.

I don't even know what to call that color. Grey perhaps? It's not black to me. Concrete grey maybe?

Blue again, a little bit lighter than the first. Just a shade lighter.

Mud. Mud brown.

I don't know again. Like a mix of maybe light purple and that grey color? I don't have the color terms to describe it.

So there you go. That's how my brain works I guess.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Since you asked, I'll tell you. :)

I'm assuming you mean the squares on top, yes? Starting from left and going right:

Blue. Not super blue, closer to a pastel shade I guess? But certainly blue.

I don't even know what to call that color. Grey perhaps? It's not black to me. Concrete grey maybe?

Blue again, a little bit lighter than the first. Just a shade lighter.

Mud. Mud brown.

I don't know again. Like a mix of maybe light purple and that grey color? I don't have the color terms to describe it.

So there you go. That's how my brain works I guess.
Makes sense, I think.

Means we are seeing the same colors, our brains are just compensating differently for the lighting in the photograph. Which is a whole lot less weird than if we'd actually be seeing different colors...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
I also see blue and gold.
If it's an effect of our brain filtering out perceived ambient light, maybe I'm not taking in the whole picture at once?

Oooohh! Fun!

EDIT: It says I scored '0'. So does that I mean I am not color blind at all?
Weird.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Atmos Duality said:
I also see blue and gold.
If it's an effect of our brain filtering out perceived ambient light, maybe I'm not taking in the whole picture at once?
I think you are seeing the same image as the white and gold people, you are just being more literal about how the actual pixels are technically light blue. (which no one really denies, but most people would still describe light blue pixels on such a photograph as representing a white fabric in shadows).

The real conflict is between the "blackish and dark blue" and the "whitish blue and golden brown" camps who seem to associate absurdly different degrees of darkness with the dress.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Entitled said:
I think you are seeing the same image as the white and gold people, you are just being more literal about how the actual pixels are technically light blue.
Well, think what you want. I'm just describing what my eyesight is telling me.
*shrugs*

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i find myself wondering what is wrong with everyones eyes/brains. the dress is black and blue. those are the actual colors of the dress. in the image, it is black and blue under poor lighting.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
I saw white and gold for exactly as long as I thought the lamp behind it was a REAL light.. Then I interpreted it as "just a picture" and it became blue and some weird gray/brownish colour.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
THIS is what some people have been going crazy about? No wonder many people think there's a thin line between order and chaos.

I thought it was a cat suit.

(Personally, I can see why people would think it was white and gold. But it does depend on the picture...)

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Oh, so this is the thing the yesterday's XKCD was about?
Anyway, I'm colourblind and it looks purple and green to me.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I loathe the people who made this trend initially. It's just clothing..

Why should the internet care? Why should we frenzy over a bloody dress's colors?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Major_Tom said:
Oh, so this is the thing the yesterday's XKCD was about?
Anyway, I'm colourblind and it looks purple and green to me.
Ironically enough, that makes your color perception closer to accurate than a good 75% of the people who voted in the Buzzfeed poll.