Is the escapist going bankrupt?

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
I think it has had financial issues for some time, just look at what we know:

- They have failed to pay many people hired for shows

- The mods allow for no criticism of the website which I have never come across on any other website. If you say an advert looks stupid, you get banned. This shows that they need these adverts so badly that they have to take a zero tolerance policy to criticism.

-The website has constant technical problems

Both show that the website is not exactly swimming in cash....or someone is making a lot of money and not investing it.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
I think it has had financial issues for some time, just look at what we know:

- They have failed to pay many people hired for shows

- The mods allow for no criticism of the website which I have never come across on any other website. If you say an advert looks stupid, you get banned. This shows that they need these adverts so badly that they have to take a zero tolerance policy to criticism.

-The website has constant technical problems which seem to be getting worse

Both show that the website is not exactly swimming in cash....or someone is making a lot of money and not investing it.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
orangeapples said:
I've also noticed that the community here has gotten smaller. It takes a lot longer to get replies on forum posts and they don't seem to be as much fun.
The community here is awful, full of socially awkard teenagers asking stupid questions. A year or two ago it was great, but its really gone down hill.

CRRPGMykael

Mar 6, 2011
Well,the Escapist actually doesn't have that much money.The only thing that they REALLY care about is paying Yahtzee,because if he leaves the site,everybody knows that the Escapist will fall.Will this be bad for Yahtzee,though?No,because he can quickly find himself another contract with someone else to pay him for Zero Punctuation.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I hope it doesn't go under. The community's strong here, if there was a genuinely strong chance of the whole site going belly up I'm sure they'd tell us (in order to set up a donation drive or something).

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
It would be a shame if the Escapist closed down.

Maybe they need to rethink their business model.

The site has high quality content, and I come here daily for lulz and news.

Hang in there guys

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I think the sites going to be undergoing a major overhaul soon, I mean the slow load times, the server issue message, the fact that the new threads barely get updated and this new "mansion" thing thats been atop the news for the last few days. Maybe a design change is coming our way *shudder*

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
johnman said:
orangeapples said:
I've also noticed that the community here has gotten smaller. It takes a lot longer to get replies on forum posts and they don't seem to be as much fun.
The community here is awful, full of socially awkard teenagers asking stupid questions. A year or two ago it was great, but its really gone down hill.
I think you're just looking in the wrong places. The community here is great.
Jimbo1212 said:
First off, The rules allow for constructive criticism. The mods just enforce that rule.
Secondly, if you have ever seen somebody actually get banned for that, then you should look at their posting history. The mods don't roam the forum seeking out wrong-doers, they look at posts which have been reported a lot. They then look at whoever made the post's posting history and apply whichever punishment is necessary. With the new forum health bar, there is no way for the mods to be overzealous, skipping sections of the bar. If you have had 3 warnings already, you get another. Then you move up to probations, then suspensions, and only then can you get banned. The only time somebody can be banned is if they have broken the rules at least 7 times before.

Sorry, but the mods are not evil and I feel I have to make that clear, because they don't have time to.

OT: I don't know. I hope they don't, but I think they'd tell us if things were dire.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Caramel Frappe said:
Or that spite that you've made promises to your employees to pay them thus most agreed to wait- that it's fair since you're still struggling while recovering, that one of them can pull off a 'HEY!! I need $20,000 NOW!' Out of the blue and when you cannot meet their claim, they'll go against you? (Yea, I went there. Still upset with Extra Credits because instead of sorting it out and sticking around for their faithful fans here, they ditched us without staying true to their beliefs like they've always had about gaming.)[/b]

Seriously, they'll be fine.. or I will alone support them with fund raising or get into events to pay off their debts. I guess I love this website a little to much, but I for one think it's something meaningful when you've grown attached to a place that has offered you so much. Mainly you guys are the reason I love this website so much besides the awesome offers so.. yeah!
EC didn't ditch their fans. If they'd ditched them, they'd have said they weren't making any more and flicked the bird at all of the fans, instead of going back to Youtube, where they started I believe, then onto Penny Arcade like they have done.

As for my thoughts, they could be going bankrupt and yeah, they could go under soon. But the guys behind the scenes know what they're doing so I suggest we just keep calm and keep buggering on.

Dawn Patrol

Jul 29, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
I have faith in The Escapist. Every company, heck.. even when I read up about Disney itself they had some really tough struggles (Like when they almost went bankrupt, that their last hope was the making of the movie 'The Seven Dwarfs' thus earned them the reputation since it was a sensation success. With that, they continued becoming a legacy.) This website will do fine, it's just a challenge they must overcome.

In truth, I dislike it when people say, "Their fault, it's business. If they cannot support themselves, then they deserve to fail." Really now..? So, if your parents or you alone cannot afford to pay off your house then do you think it's fair that the home you work at is stripped away? Or that spite that you've made promises to your employees to pay them thus most agreed to wait- that it's fair since you're still struggling while recovering, that one of them can pull off a 'HEY!! I need $20,000 NOW!' Out of the blue and when you cannot meet their claim, they'll go against you? (Yea, I went there. Still upset with Extra Credits because instead of sorting it out and sticking around for their faithful fans here, they ditched us without staying true to their beliefs like they've always had about gaming.)

Seriously, they'll be fine.. or I will alone support them with fund raising or get into events to pay off their debts. I guess I love this website a little to much, but I for one think it's something meaningful when you've grown attached to a place that has offered you so much. Mainly you guys are the reason I love this website so much besides the awesome offers so.. yeah!
Would you happily work for no money? I don't think so.

The Escapist treated that whole situation horribly. "Hey guys, we can't pay you straight away but we'll get the money to you as soon as possible. Oh wait no, we'll hire new contributors even though we can't afford it. What do you mean learn from past mistakes? Oh well, can we have 75% of that money your fans gave you?"

The Escapist can't survive like this. Yahtzee could get a better offer any day and when he does he will jump ship. Then they can say bye bye to 90% of their traffic.

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Dawn Patrol said:
Caramel Frappe said:
I have faith in The Escapist. Every company, heck.. even when I read up about Disney itself they had some really tough struggles (Like when they almost went bankrupt, that their last hope was the making of the movie 'The Seven Dwarfs' thus earned them the reputation since it was a sensation success. With that, they continued becoming a legacy.) This website will do fine, it's just a challenge they must overcome.

In truth, I dislike it when people say, "Their fault, it's business. If they cannot support themselves, then they deserve to fail." Really now..? So, if your parents or you alone cannot afford to pay off your house then do you think it's fair that the home you work at is stripped away? Or that spite that you've made promises to your employees to pay them thus most agreed to wait- that it's fair since you're still struggling while recovering, that one of them can pull off a 'HEY!! I need $20,000 NOW!' Out of the blue and when you cannot meet their claim, they'll go against you? (Yea, I went there. Still upset with Extra Credits because instead of sorting it out and sticking around for their faithful fans here, they ditched us without staying true to their beliefs like they've always had about gaming.)

Would you happily work for no money? I don't think so.

The Escapist treated that whole situation horribly. "Hey guys, we can't pay you straight away but we'll get the money to you as soon as possible. Oh wait no, we'll hire new contributors even though we can't afford it. What do you mean learn from past mistakes? Oh well, can we have 75% of that money your fans gave you?"

The Escapist can't survive like this. Yahtzee could get a better offer any day and when he does he will jump ship. Then they can say bye bye to 90% of their traffic.
Maybe Escapist can re-brand themselves as a place where fledgling writers and webcomics and content creators can come post stuff for free so that they save on costs.

Then again they are not paying anyway so I guess that doesn't help.

Jun 11, 2008
Dawn Patrol said:
Yahtzee could get a better offer any day and when he does he will jump ship. Then they can say bye bye to 90% of their traffic.
Not everything is all about money and sometimes people prefer to stick with the devil you know. I mean it isn't like Yahtzee doesn't have a lot of money eg owning a bar and writing a novel.

Dawn Patrol

Jul 29, 2011
Glademaster said:
Dawn Patrol said:
Yahtzee could get a better offer any day and when he does he will jump ship. Then they can say bye bye to 90% of their traffic.
Not everything is all about money and sometimes people prefer to stick with the devil you know. I mean it isn't like Yahtzee doesn't have a lot of money eg owning a bar and writing a novel.
Nah, trust me. Yahtzee has no reason to stay with this place.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JoelChenFA said:
-Themis Media?-
I've never been there. I don't have a clue about any of it. It's just a name to me.

The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I believe I made it all-too-clear that the Escapist wouldn't ask for help even if it were drowning in fire. [http://www.nuklearpower.com/2005/09/22/episode-602-at-least-the-air-isnt-acid/] They are IN a situation where they should admit that they're in the shit and they won't. And no, they're really not big enough to look after themselves.

Ultratwinkie said:
-Unforgotten Realms!-
Actually, no it didn't. They moved, and as of the EC debacle Rob released a new episode on his site. So, basically not true there.

Dawn Patrol said:
-Yahtzee!-
Not only could he get better offers, but he'll capsize the boat when he leaves, turning our Titanic into the nuclear bomb at Hiroshima.

To reiterate: This board struck an iceberg when the Escapist had a dispute with EC, and it is sinking with little hope of salvation. And on the day Yahtzee gets fed up with this place, the Escapist DIES, period.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
If we really want to help them, we can make bots that rapidly click the ads.

They get paid for ad clicking right?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
Everyone should get a PubClub membership, Seriously you won't regret it.

Sometimes when i clear my cookies etc, i log in not on my account and i am DISGUSTED at the adverts. DISGUSTED.

You won't regret it. Pub Club for life :)
Well sure, but I don't really feel like paying to NOT have ads. After all ads are trying to sell me stuff, no? So if I pay to stop people from trying to sell me stuff, what have I really accomplished?

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
zehydra said:
Soxafloppin said:
Everyone should get a PubClub membership, Seriously you won't regret it.

Sometimes when i clear my cookies etc, i log in not on my account and i am DISGUSTED at the adverts. DISGUSTED.

You won't regret it. Pub Club for life :)
Well sure, but I don't really feel like paying to NOT have ads. After all ads are trying to sell me stuff, no? So if I pay to stop people from trying to sell me stuff, what have I really accomplished?
Escaping Captcha (see what I did there)

and the Adverts before watching video content. Well to be honest the main reason I'm in the PubClub is because I spent a good amount of time on this site, and even I can spare £10 a year.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
They are in trouble, that's safe to say. In fact, a lot of websites are in trouble. Unless your site generates literally thousands upon thousands of hits a day (and some sites do), ad revenue is simply not enough to support a business. Also, businesses are paying less for internet ads seeing as people are starting to just ignore them. I mean, when was the last time you purposefully clicked on an internet banner ad? The last time I did that was about 4 years ago. There's no point in shelling out big dollars for internet ads when they probably won't help your sales, right?

Also, the escapist still hasn't found a way to make really good scratch. I paid for a subscription, mostly because I just wanted the escapist to stay alive. Not because it offered anything even remotely interesting. And that's the problem - you can't expect everyone to give you money out of kindness - you have to incentivize them into giving you money, and the publisher's club subscription really.... doesn't offer much of anything.

Also, their store is devoid of anything useful.

Will they go bankrupt? Hard to say. Internet businesses are very flexible - they can cut staff, cut pay, or get rid of any offices they own (that should cut a ton off their operating expenses). Certainly if they don't generate more revenue, AND SOON, they will probably have to start taking the axe to the staff roster or ask for content contributions from fans for no pay (I wouldn't mind doing that, seeing as it's a good way to enter the internet publishing business - except that I have no talent for writing and I already have a reasonably well paying job).

It's a bit sad. Zero Punctuation is what catapulted the Escapist into the limelight - but ZP, while still worth watching, has lost its edge (4 years of more-or-less the same-old-same-old will do that to any show). Extra Credits was looking to be the next ZP (as evidenced by the legion of fans who donated for allison's surgery), but due to disagreements that fell apart. Aside from that.... who else do they have? What else do they have? The Escapist makes good reviews - but so do many other sites. As much as I like the content on the escapist, we'd be kidding ourselves if we pretended it was famous. I like "Critical Miss" and "Escape to the movies" and "The Big Picture" a whole heck of a lot, but I haven't heard a single thing said about any of them outside of this website.

I'm afraid you're going to have to start copying a few of the things the other sites have done in order to stay afloat. I don't like Gamespot or Gametrailers very much myself, but the numbers don't lie - those sites get traffic. A lot of traffic. You've got to start copying them. Assuming you have the resources to do so.