Is the fighting game genre dead?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Uh...

No?

Well that was easy. On to the next thread!

Between BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom, Street Fighter, Skullgirls, Super Smash Bros., Tekken, Injustice, Mortal Kombat, and all of the other ones I can't currently think of, I find it hard to understand how you came to that question in the first place. Made all the more difficult by the fact that you provided no context or supporting evidence in your OP.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
No?

I mean there are still tons of fighting games that are being released, whether classic series or new IPs, there are still lots of people that play them online, they often have very high online communities, and hell they have tournaments that people tune into their computers to watch play out.

No, I don't think the fighting game genre is dead. I'm actually just curious as to why you feel the need to ask if it is?

wgmovies

May 26, 2009
Strain42 said:
No?

I mean there are still tons of fighting games that are being released, whether classic series or new IPs, there are still lots of people that play them online, they often have very high online communities, and hell they have tournaments that people tune into their computers to watch play out.

No, I don't think the fighting game genre is dead. I'm actually just curious as to why you feel the need to ask if it is?
Well i really didnt look in the indie sector of the genre like skullgirls or persona 4 arena and these games are not easy to get in my country so whoopsie next tread.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think it was more eminently popular back when arcades were still a thing. But if we're counting new releases then the genre is far from dead...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nah, it's just starting to lean a bit niche.

As far as I'm aware there's still a competitive scene and enough sales to bring the occasional new fighting game.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
It might be different elsewhere, but around where I live, fighting games still are the dominant genre in competitive gaming. Sure, games from other genres are still more popular, but I don't think any genre sees as much interest from the competitive community as fighting games do.

Then again, I have friends that play fighting games competitively, so my perspective might be a bit skewed.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
It hasn't been this alive in years? There are actually too many games to run in competitions.

SSFIV:AE now, Ultra Street Fighter IV coming soon.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
King of Fighters XIII
Skullgirls
Persona 4
Blazblue Chrono Phantasm
Killer Instinct
Injustice

Not to mention Capcom and Twitch just announced Capcom Cup... The genre hasn't been this alive for years.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Caliostro said:
Killer Instinct
Aye, not inconsiderable that one of the launch titles for the new console generation is a fighting game. That's got to say something about the vitality of the genre.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Nah it's not, though i'm sort of waiting in limbo until the new BlazBlue is localised because I only like the 2D fast paced ones so the really popular stuff like Street Fighter bores me to tears. I get why people like them but I just can't stand watching them mill around the screen for ages when in the next room WOW LOOK AT THAT DOOM TAC COMBO! SO HYPE!

Persona 4 Arena 2 is barely started and Atlus is going to have to yet again research where this mysterious, legendary location called Europe is on the map before they can ship it over here. It takes them slightly less than a year after the NA version is out (you know the exact same fuckin' game?) usually and i'm ready for ArcSys to do the same thing.

I do play Skullgirls but the way combos work in that game just sucks. Get caught once, might as well get up and make a drink because you're spending the next 20+ seconds in an unbreakable combo because adding a competent Burst mechanic is too mainstream.

I'm not exaggerating by the way, I actually did go and make a drink the once just for curiosity's sake. I got back in time to see the combo end and keep playing like nothing happened.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The fighting genre isn't dead because it does offer the satisfaction of just getting right into the fight without worrying too much about plot, setting, etc...That being said though it seems like it's easier to sell sequels and spin-offs (Injustice, Capcom vs etc) than new fighting IPs if only for brand recognition or, the catharsis of making recognizable characters fight each other.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
The fact that you have to ask shows that you know nothing of the genre. It's just as alive as ever.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
I would say, no. With a caveat that it is lost its mainstream position, and settled on a niche market.
Serious fighting games have dedicated, albeit very limited audience.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
No..? Tekken 5 is pretty much the only game that i play on my smartphone to kill time.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
It's not dead but there isn't really a draw for non fighting game fans to get into fighting games anymore. The big cross over wasn't that great, Marvel Vs capcom 2 and 3 and skull girls getting pulled and people making jokes out of the finals of the biggest fighting game competitions seem to be the only news people hear about anymore.

It's not like people walk into an arcade anymore and see people screaming and yelling around a street fighter or MVC2 machine anymore and get interested

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Guilty Gear is finally getting a third installment, if the Fighting game genre is dead, I don't want to be alive.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
This year alone we are getting FTP Soul Calibur (Not too excited about this one), Ultra Street Fighter IV, Persona Arena 2, BlazBlue: Chronwhatever, Guilty Gear Xrd and they sre probably working on Tekken, Dead Or Alive, Mortal Kombat, King Of Fighters XIV and Virtua Fighter VI. And we just saw the return of Killer Instinct, that's not what i would call dead, even though some of the games i mentioned are pure assumptions on my part.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Caliostro said:
It hasn't been this alive in years? There are actually too many games to run in competitions.

SSFIV:AE now, Ultra Street Fighter IV coming soon.
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
King of Fighters XIII
Skullgirls
Persona 4
Blazblue Chrono Phantasm
Killer Instinct
Injustice

Not to mention Capcom and Twitch just announced Capcom Cup... The genre hasn't been this alive for years.
No mention of Smash Bros., even with the new one probably coming out later this year?

Eve Charm said:
It's not dead but there isn't really a draw for non fighting game fans to get into fighting games anymore.
I'm not entirely sure about that. It may not draw people the same way other genres do, but at least at my university and among my friends elsewhere, people who play fighting games seem very excited to share the genre with others, and my brother has had the same experience at his college. Even if it isn't as effective as arcades might have been years ago, it still seems people into fighting games are at least trying to bring the games to other gamers. I probably would never have considered the genre if it weren't for friends constantly bringing their Xbox and massive list of fighting games with them wherever they went.

Then again, most people in college now are still old enough to remember going to arcades to play these games. Maybe it's just not reaching younger people as much.

Calm Sands said:
No, but it needs to be. Such a basic, boring genre.
Please tell me this is just really well-masked sarcasm...