Is the fighting game genre dead?

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Others have stated my point. Nope.

I'm particularly looking forward to Tekken X Streetfighter.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Nah it's not, though i'm sort of waiting in limbo until the new BlazBlue is localised because I only like the 2D fast paced ones so the really popular stuff like Street Fighter bores me to tears. I get why people like them but I just can't stand watching them mill around the screen for ages when in the next room WOW LOOK AT THAT DOOM TAC COMBO! SO HYPE!

Persona 4 Arena 2 is barely started and Atlus is going to have to yet again research where this mysterious, legendary location called Europe is on the map before they can ship it over here. It takes them slightly less than a year after the NA version is out (you know the exact same fuckin' game?) usually and i'm ready for ArcSys to do the same thing.

I do play Skullgirls but the way combos work in that game just sucks. Get caught once, might as well get up and make a drink because you're spending the next 20+ seconds in an unbreakable combo because adding a competent Burst mechanic is too mainstream.

I'm not exaggerating by the way, I actually did go and make a drink the once just for curiosity's sake. I got back in time to see the combo end and keep playing like nothing happened.
I'm actually curious about this. Are there ANY differences between the NA version and he EUROPE version?

OT: honestly. I want to say no. But capcom is losing it's touch . They can't make marvel games no more, they keep updating the same game. Mike z is having ton of trouble with skullgirls due to red tape. And every other franchise release 1-2 games every 10 or so years ( nondon't count updates to games a new game).

The problem is, we got so many fighting games in such a short span the community got worn Real thin.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Not at all, especially at the highest, competitive level. There are constant events going on across the country that more and more players have begun attending, and the level of play is still at a very high point.
Although, I've been playing fighting games for years and have been involved in the scene for a while, so my opinion is probably much different from the standard person.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
krazykidd said:
The Wykydtron said:
Nah it's not, though i'm sort of waiting in limbo until the new BlazBlue is localised because I only like the 2D fast paced ones so the really popular stuff like Street Fighter bores me to tears. I get why people like them but I just can't stand watching them mill around the screen for ages when in the next room WOW LOOK AT THAT DOOM TAC COMBO! SO HYPE!

Persona 4 Arena 2 is barely started and Atlus is going to have to yet again research where this mysterious, legendary location called Europe is on the map before they can ship it over here. It takes them slightly less than a year after the NA version is out (you know the exact same fuckin' game?) usually and i'm ready for ArcSys to do the same thing.

I do play Skullgirls but the way combos work in that game just sucks. Get caught once, might as well get up and make a drink because you're spending the next 20+ seconds in an unbreakable combo because adding a competent Burst mechanic is too mainstream.

I'm not exaggerating by the way, I actually did go and make a drink the once just for curiosity's sake. I got back in time to see the combo end and keep playing like nothing happened.
I'm actually curious about this. Are there ANY differences between the NA version and he EUROPE version?

OT: honestly. I want to say no. But capcom is losing it's touch . They can't make marvel games no more, they keep updating the same game. Mike z is having ton of trouble with skullgirls due to red tape. And every other franchise release 1-2 games every 10 or so years ( nondon't count updates to games a new game).

The problem is, we got so many fighting games in such a short span the community got worn Real thin.
You mean in terms of game content? None. Nothing. Totally the same in every single way. We got some limited edition thing you could buy for the standard £60 game price over here though because that totally makes the year gap somehow more legit.

I assume they had to do something or other with the EU code or build or some other such nonsense, I remember hearing they took the entire August 2012 to May 2013 gap to release the EU build to their publisher, Zen United (who are pretty good publishers themselves, i've had yet to see a negative word about their practices) for badly justified reasons. Like, ithe game was done but they were holding onto it without giving it up for distribution because of reasons.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
wgmovies said:
Well i really didnt look in the indie sector of the genre like skullgirls or persona 4 arena and these games are not easy to get in my country so whoopsie next tread.
Bit of a nitpick here I suppose, but Persona 4 Arena isn't an indie title. Very far from it actually seeing as it was made by one of the more popular and established fighting game producers not named Capcom, and based on a game from a series produced by a very well known publisher that's been around for a very long time now.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
The fighting genre needs to blend with the brawling genre. Urban Reign did this back when it came out, and not enough people made noise about it. Wonderful free-flowing combat with two playable Tekken characters. It was like Double Dragon reborn for the modern age (back then, the late PS2 era).

Street Fighter, and especially Street Fighter 2 were wonders. Street Fighter 2 has been cloned so many times that I'm dizzy. That template is a solid one, but it's time for another one. Virtua Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur are also great games, but it's time to integrate those templates into a fighting game. It's 2014, and we can have brawlers that incorporate fighting mechanics to the degree that we could call it a fighting RPG. Urban Reign actually had RPG elements, but they were not the focal point.

I think that the fighting genre could revolutionize the RPG movement, because of the options available in combat. Dragon's Dogma had me hooked for several months because no other game has combat like it (except maybe Monster Hunters). Amalur was also a step in the right direction.

The problem is that the modern scene isn't really into fighting games or brawlers. That's the conclusion that I've come to. Urban Reign was ignored. Amalur was torn to shreds for silly reasons, and therefore ignored. The debacle that happened at 38 Studios didn't help either.

Anyways, fighting games should really be developed and incorporated into other genres as an option in gameplay.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Another example of how fighters and brawlers can improve things is Zeno Clash Ultimate. It's set within a wacky universe, but the gameplay is super solid.

I couldn't stand Badlands 2 after I played Zeno Clash Ultimate, because I wanted a melee option. There's no comparison to be made between those two games, but I'm saying that fighting games have yet to be developed in the way that RPGs and FPS and MMOs have been.

Vindictus is a great MMO because of the combat. It's like a fighter/brawler/MMO.

I can't wait to get a PC that handle this game.

All I'm saying is that fighting needs to come out of itself, and be a part of games that people in the mainstream plays. Arkham has been the most successful in this regard, because it's got some solid combat that borrows from brawlers and fighters.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Caliostro said:
It hasn't been this alive in years? There are actually too many games to run in competitions.
Just this seriously I would go so far as to say the genre has NEVER been this alive. I suppose you could say SF2 was its peak but that was one game and it was awesome but now we have a load of great fighters there have been very few duff games released in the genre even Netherealms have released serviceable products for once.

Also Arc systems are releasing a ton of games this year even Sega is releasing a fair few fighters....surprisingly Capcom have been lagging for a while though.