Is the games industry running out of ideas?

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
I don't think that they are running out of ideas, but I do see them backing off of more unique IP's, and I think there is a valid reason for that.

With game development becoming more and more labor/finacially intensive, investors and the powers that be seem to be less certain of that unique IP being a smash hit, thus, forcing them to fall back on titles/sequels that have proven to be decent money makers. I know that it's a simplistic view, and I'd love to elaborate, but unfortunately, I'm stuffed with turkey and can't bring myself to think on a higher level right now...

orifice

Nov 18, 2008
It would seem that new ideas are in short supply. It's not all bad though. There are some old ideas that could still be re-used due to light usage so far! A game that immediately springs to mind is MEGA-LO-MANIA, a great game in its time, but limited by the hardware of its time.
A modern remake with only a slight upgrade to complexity and much improved graphics would be superb. It'll probably never happen though.

B4D 9R4MM3R

May 15, 2008
I don't think the industry is running out of ideas, but I do see a slowdown and I think the global economy might be a cause behind it. After all, who wants to risk everything in an already risky environment.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
I don't really think it has anything directly involved of a lack of creativity but more so drive. Copycat games and sequels are sure bets and the way the gaming industry is today atm i don't think there is any reason for developers to use the time and resources to create something truly breakthrough. In time though i'm sure we'll get something completely different to light a fire under the gaming worlds ass ala guitar hero a few years back. Just look at Mirrors edge if anything was pretty groundbreaking as far as first person games go. I'm sure the next big thing is right around the corner

AwesomeHat

Jan 17, 2008
Mirror's Edge, Portal, Spore... people are still making new and interesting ideas. So no, I don't think they're running out of ideas, I just think they're finding the new ideas harder to implement and usually less successful, and all they actually care about is raking in the dollars.

Mr_Czar

Nov 19, 2008
This reminds me of something...

Pitchfork gives Music a 6.8. [http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pitchfork_gives_music_6_8]

Saying games have run out of ideas is the same as saying music has run out of ideas. There is a finite number of building blocks but an infinite way to combine them.

Raven28256

Sep 18, 2008
No, it isn't a lack of ideas, it is a lack of desire.

I'm in college for game design and many of my teachers worked in the industry for years. One thing I hear all the time is this:

People submit brand new ideas on a daily basis in a game company, but not even 1/10th of a percent become games. This is because, since games are so expensive now, many of the big shots in power don't want to take the risk. It has nothing to do with people not having original ideas, and everything to do with the fact that publishers rather fall back on something that did well over potentially wasting money on a new IP that won't sell. This is common sense, really, and a lot of people will say the same thing. It is easier and financially safer to make a sequel or spin-off for a popular series than to make a brand new one.

In any given year, designers around the world submit hundreds, even thousands of original ideas. It isn't a lack of originality, it is the fact that people don't like taking risks when you are talking about something that costs millions of dollars and years to make. For all the bitching and griping we gamers do on this particular subject, the fact of the matter is that we often don't check out a new IP. How many of you guys bought Fallout 3 over Valkyria Chronicles? Or Red Alert 3 over EndWar? Or perhaps pre-ordered Prince of Persia over Mirror's Edge? I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this, nor am I blaming you, just proving my point that a well-established franchise usually sells more copies over a new IP in a similar genre.

Besides, there isn't anything particularly bad about sequels. They offer you more of what you liked last year, or the year before. Hell, a really good sequel changes things up enough that you don't feel like you are repurchasing the same game. You can have originality in a sequel, if developers work hard enough to do it. But then we run into another issue: Change too much, and people won't like how far it deviates from the original. Change too little, and people will ***** that they were ripped off. But that is a discussion for another time.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
This reminds me of when the head of the patent department quit because "everything worth inventing has been invented" in like 1894. (This is a grossly mangled version of what happened, if someone knows the actually story please correct me.) None-the-less, people have always been saying that every new possibility has been done, and then something new comes out. There hasn't been an end to new ideas yet and I doubt if there will be in the future. We might be at Sequel Road and Remake Street, but the next stop could very well be Creativity Central, so don't give up yet.

Sardonac

Dec 16, 2007
It's hard to make a game big. It really is. Even with a fully designed game a developer needs to market it which costs money, something many game developers can't spare what with the rising cost to make and lower profit of big games. At the escapist, games are advertised at the end of some video clips. And say 500 thousand people view the video. Say, if they're lucky, 100 000 people will be interested. Then how many will go out and buy that game over some other game? Say half. Then say only half of those will actually buy it and not rent it or play it when a friend buys it. Then half of those remainder will download it.

I suck at math, but simply put it's hard to make a game out of nothing and sell it for something.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Nah, there are at least a dozen mythologies left for them to plunder. Sure, Norse/Greco-Roman/Japanese have been done, but what about Chinese? African? Russian (Russia has some crazy ass myths), Native American?

As long as there is cultural history to rape, we will always have new games.

J-Man

Nov 2, 2008
EpicFailGuy said:
Mirror's Edge, Portal, Spore... people are still making new and interesting ideas. So no, I don't think they're running out of ideas, I just think they're finding the new ideas harder to implement and usually less successful, and all they actually care about is raking in the dollars.
That's probably the most accurate examination of the games industry so far in this thread.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Doesn't bother me. If I liked the first game, I usualy want a sequal. I don't think I own any games that aren't part of a series.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Its not so much that they are running out, its that theres not profit in being original - look at the sales of LittleBigPlanet versus Gears of War 2 to see the exact problem here.

So, really, its not really "I blame the developers", its "I BLAME YOU, ADRIAN!".
Hahahah I blame you adrian nice, which episode is that from again?