Is the Human Race a failed experament

Church256

Jul 24, 2008
dontworryaboutit said:
What is this? A Douglas Adam's novel?
Took the words right outta my mouth.

What's happening in 2012 btw? Is it that calender thing that everyone beleive and should be shot for beleiving?

Darkrain11

May 14, 2009
The old saying "No pain, no gain" comes to mind. Yes we are destroying forests and land but at the same time entire industries are working to reverse the damage we have caused. The way alot of people talk about this subject is like they expect people to know before hand what the consequnces of our actions will be without any prior knowledge or experience. Ex: You see two doors in front of you, you try to open door 1 and get shocked by the handle so you try door 2 and it opens without any problems so see you experienced "pain" and you "gained" experience of which door not to use. Again "No pain, no gain", the only way you can fail is if you keep trying to open door 1 even after being shocked multiple times.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
iain62a said:
Oh shut up OP.

If it is an experiment, I'd say it's been a massive success.

We(humanity) have asserted our rightful dominance over the world. I'd call that a success.

Also: The world will not end in 2012.
And then we will burn al the rainforests, and melt all the glaciers. Once the glaciers have melted, there will be no more food, and just about everyone will die except a few people at the poles. Ten years of success is ten times better than one year of the same level of success. Considering we will destroy ourselves and everything else at this rate, I deem us a failure.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
All we've done has been pretty necessary to our own gain, maybe not collectively as a species but at least collectively within certain groups. Humanity is a whole lot of different people with different viewpoints in which way they want to better their own environment, so if these people's opinions clash then you are going to get some fuck-ups!

Of course, the OP's noting down of the most negative achievements of mankind gleefully neglects the things we have done to better our society and so obviously your going to paint a pretty grim picture. Besides, we are not causing global warming, we are just contributing to it.

Stem cell research is not designed to help people live longer, it is so people can replace defective cells that cause diseases like cancer and diabetes (I have diabetes so i feel particularly strongly about that one)

After reading your entire post, I get that this was a kind of rant about religion saying God made everything and so it should be more perfect but the fact that we've done so much good just as much takes away from your argument than the fact that we've done bad.
(I'm an Atheist by the way)

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Deef said:
quiet_samurai said:
Actually humans have only been around for about 80,000 years and we've only been firing ballistic missles, bullets and planes at each other for less then 100, okay bullets a litttle longer, but we have only really been damaging the planet for a little over a century. But I see what you are saying. Conspiracy theorists and religious nut-jobs are the only people that think 2012 is doomsday, it's never mentioned anywhere that this is the case.
The Mayan calendar actually says that the world ends every 40 years, and it didn't end last time.

No one should be worried about 2012.
There's a number of cycles in the Mayan calender, the longest of them all is thousands of years, and ends in 2012.

toasterslayer

Dec 24, 2008
Lonan said:
iain62a said:
Oh shut up OP.

We(humanity) have asserted our rightful dominance over the world. I'd call that a success.

And then we will burn al the rainforests, and melt all the glaciers. Once the glaciers have melted, there will be no more food, and just about everyone will die except a few people at the poles. Ten years of success is ten times better than one year of the same level of success. Considering we will destroy ourselves and everything else at this rate, I deem us a failure.
atleast, you know, you have hope to change that.
its people like you i don't like. all you do is critisize and complain. go change are future, do bring me down.

Captain Picard

Jan 21, 2009
The OP speaks as though humans have no place in the world. Each organism MAKES a place for itself based on it's ability to learn, adapt, and shape the environment to serve it's own ends. Give ANY creature the same power humans have to shape itself and it's environment, and I'll bet the results will be similar. Among the human race, those with power will wise up and realize we can't crap the bed we sleep in, so to speak, and human civilization will adapt by making more prudent use of limited resources. A healthy environment, or rather the absorptive capacity of the environment relative to the toxic byproducts of human civilization, is one such resource.

We're no one's and no thing's "failed experiment". We're an infant sentient species. If we're clever enough, then maybe, just maybe, we'll develop the capacity to colonize other interstellar bodies.

And no, the world is not ending in 2012, dammit. People offer absolutely no reasonable cause for such a preposterous belief. No, the Mayan calendar does not count. No, vacuous "prophecies" from ancient, thrice translated texts do not count. No, reading Nostradamus's writings backward every 57th paragraph does not count.

No, just no.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
iain62a said:
Oh shut up OP.

Rightful?! Says who? Some old guys writing a book a couple of millennia ago? Bullshit. We might be the dominant, most evolved, only sentient species on this planet (at least as we see it...) but that doesn't make it ours by right - all forms of life here have an equal stake in it, which is why we have a responsibility not to fuck the place up.

Perhaps the experiment was to breed a species that was able to exist harmoniously with its environment - in that case the last hundred years or so put paid to that plan. Perhaps it was to get a species that could at least exist in peace with itself, in which case we've failed that one hideously. Rising to dominance and fucking over everyone and anything that gets in our way was highly unlikely to have been the goal of any experiment - unless someone's looking to breed soldiers (or cannon fodder...).

Wasder said:
Damn mice.
Yeah, I blame them too - though we're on to them now! They'll never get the question, I say!

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Do you know why you keep mentioning the year 2012? Do you seriously believe the modern major religions predicted it? No! They copied it. Aztecs and Mayans predicted that the world would end in 2012, long before the religions that destroyed their culture figured it out. And I think I heard somewhere that it would not be any preposterous "judgment day", but instead the magnetic poles were reversing. So, in answer to your question, yes. You have failed.
Seriously though, no. Superstitions are just ways so make ourselves seem important. People often forget their lives and all aspects of life around them are infinitesimal specks in the vast, constantly expanding universe of ours.
Oh, perhaps 2012 is when the universe will stop expanding and start compressing. Still no judgment day, but at least we're becoming bigger specks.

sooperg

Feb 25, 2009
mayb we were put here as an alien time bomb of sorts, b4 the other races (apes and so on.) would come to a sentient way of life, we would destroy this planet, i dunno, but the human race will live on, we're creative little bastards and we're pretty resilient too, maybe the aliens want us to find them so they can say, WE ARE YOUR PARENTS HUMANS! and we can be all like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE! and then someone says WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!?! and the planet explodes. also known as star wars and the wtf bomb having a bastard child. anyway, my very fuzzy point is, if the end of the word is coming, let it come. we'll still live to see someone finally finish DNF, even after that. and it will be FUCKING AWESOME!

dontworryaboutit

May 18, 2009
mendez said:
dontworryaboutit said:
What is this? A Douglas Adam's novel?
Took the words right outta my mouth.

What's happening in 2012 btw? Is it that calender thing that everyone beleive and should be shot for beleiving?
Aye. And it ain't gonna happen, Kemosabe.

TitenSxull

Feb 17, 2009
Failed? Failed? What makes you think we failed? Last I checked we were a damn successful species, we're the first to invent language, art, music (at least as far as we know)... Sure there's lot's of negative things about us but we're a success, after all our population keeps rising and that's the real measure of success for a species - can you survive, we've done that... Mission Accomplished... Now if only we could do something about starvation, war and disease...

Helm of Demonica

Jan 3, 2009
2012. So close, yet so far away. The world is eventually going to end, and I want to be there when it happens, to see the look on everyones face as the scream, "Why! Why us!"

I would, of course, be the guy with a lawn chair outside, on the front yard, with some sun glasses on, enjoying every last second of the end. "The End is Nye" and those who haven't discovered the truth by then, will perish in the dumpster this pitiful planet is thrown in. Best of luck to all of you, for I have seen the truth, and her name is "Death." Sweet, merciless "Death."

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well, look at it this way. When humanity will ruin the planet, it will die! Therefore, your worries will be over.

Don't worry, the end of the humanity will come. We will only be something that came into existence then we'll disappear!

George Carlin had a good theory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw