Is the Legend of Zelda a... JRPG?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zelda is an RPG... only if you use RPG to describe "a game in which you play a role". But is it a true RPG? Hell no. There are certain elements in RPGs that Zelda is visible lacking. This somewhat describes WRPGs and JRPGs in the most simplistic fashion.

RobinHood3000 said:
Decidedly NOT a JRPG. I would not even consider it an RPG.

Yes, you do take on a role, but that in itself is a too-literal interpretation of the genre "RPG." "RPG" as a game genre requires a variety of rules and conventions that aren't encompassed by the name. These generally include some or all of the following:

+ Customizable characteristics (beyond character name)
+ Multiple viable paths of character skill development
+ An above-average emphasis on story (enough to distinguish it from arcade or puzzle games)
+ Frequently, strong aspects of exploration of a large game world

Although the last aspect does hold true for Zelda games, it is also a key tenet of adventure games.

"JRPG" as a genre is even more restrictive. JRPGs generally include, as I understand it:

+ Turn-based combat (with increasingly frequent exceptions for action RPGs, I believe)
+ Linear storyline
+ Little character customization beyond skill development (meaning the player usually takes on a role rather than creating one, as in Western RPGs like the Elder Scrolls Series)
+ Androgynous main characters (kidding)

In particular, Legend of Zelda lacks the turn-based combat and character emphasis characteristic of JRPGs. Yes, there's a strong story emphasis, but Link as a character doesn't drive the narrative, as often seen in JRPGs; the quest, a major trope of adventure games, does.
Probably the only real RPG in the Zelda Franchise was Zelda 2, and not to many people enjoyed that game (but it was sure of a hell alot better than those on the... well, whatever that consoles name was that didnt exist because it was absolutly atrocious.)

There are things that could be done to give it a more, truer RPG feel, like giving Link a ability to speak (and no, not a voice, but when people talk to him, give him conversation choices like in DA:O or NWN, not the damn convo wheel as in ME).

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
The difference between RPG and other games isn't the nature of choice. Please. Old school RPGs on both sides didn't have much choice in developing characters, you simply leveled and got what you got.

Where the difference comes from is in character growth.

Zelda games don't have statistical growth. You can get new equipment and better life bars from exploration, but that's not the same as gaining experience points that can be used to increase statistics either by gaining levels or by spending points directly into statistics.

Statistical growth defines the RPG genre, not this 'choice' stuff that people claim. Lots of RPGs have no choices whatsoever in how characters evolve. Others have only one choice: character class. Or were games like Wizardry, Bard's Tale, and Might and Magic suddenly not rpgs?

Adrian Neyland

Apr 20, 2011
It is an action adventure game, whilst there are RPG elements, they do not dominate the game-play.
All Legend of Zelda games contain puzzle elements, does that mean you should call it a puzzle game?

Jazzeki

Jun 29, 2011
Serris said:
RobinHood3000 said:

Yes, you do take on a role, but that in itself is a too-literal interpretation of the genre "RPG." "RPG" as a game genre requires a variety of rules and conventions that aren't encompassed by the name. These generally include some or all of the following:

+ An above-average emphasis on story (enough to distinguish it from arcade or puzzle games)

Although the last aspect does hold true for Zelda games, it is also a key tenet of adventure games.

"JRPG" as a genre is even more restrictive. JRPGs generally include, as I understand it:

+ Turn-based combat
+ Linear storyline
+ Little character customization beyond skill development (meaning the player usually takes on a role rather than creating one, as in Western RPGs like the Elder Scrolls Series)

In particular, Legend of Zelda lacks the turn-based combat and character emphasis characteristic of JRPGs. Yes, there's a strong story emphasis, but Link as a character doesn't drive the narrative, as often seen in JRPGs; the quest, a major trope of adventure games, does.
the turn-based combat isn't that important, tales of symphonia was real-time beat em up-style combat, but is still the most JRPGy JRPG i've ever played.
hell i can come with an even better example(at least for this case) kingdom hearts is a RPG. and that's not even close to turn based.
actuaully what seems to make a game and RPG seems to be some kind of stat/level system. i mean if we go by the otherwise suggested "you need to be able to interact directly withe the story" not even final fantasy would get to call itself a RPG but i highly doubt anyone is gonna challenge that one.
the thing is action adventure games often overlap slightly with RPGs... but in the case of zelda?... i'd say no

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
A friend and I were just talking about JRPG's over Skype, when he asked me what my favorite was. For some reason, LoZ sprang to my head, so I said that. He proceeded to call me a blasphemer and swear that all my children will forever be born dogs.

But I kinda think I'm right.

I mean, it's a Japanese game... that's an action/rpg hybrid, right? So... JRPG?
I only read through the first page of comments, so I don't know if this has been said already, but...

The specific sub-genre is called Metroidvania.

"Metroidvania: A subtype of the Action Adventure genre, usually with Platform Game elements.

Your typical Metroidvania game is typically portrayed as a single large area or a set of large areas, broken up into many different rooms, corridors, and open spaces, with Respawning Enemies in most areas. As the player progresses through these areas and finds Video Game Tools (actions, abilities, inventory items), the ability of the player to navigate more obstacles in the play environment increases, allowing the player to explore a greater amount of the game, and in doing so progress the game. This makes Backtracking occasionally necessary, often made easier by opening Doors To Before. There are usually many secrets hidden around the game, some far more difficult to obtain than any item required to proceed.

It often contains mild RPG Elements as well, like stat-boosting equipment or a level system; some of these games will have multiple playable characters with different abilities and require the player to switch between them. But if not, expect to find hidden Heart Containers in every cranny and nook.

Despite the openness of the game, progression is usually linear, with the more difficult areas separated by natural barriers such as high shelves, sealed or locked doors, or other obstacles that can only be bypassed by finding specific items or weapons. Among gamers, Sequence Breaking is a common stunt used to access these areas before the player is "supposed" to. (Some games deliberately design sequence-breaking paths as well.)

The definition of this subgenre varies somewhat depending on who you ask. People seem to variably demand some or all of the following traits:

1. Some people say it has to be a 2-D environment; some even go as far as saying it has to be platforming.
2. Non-linearity of (official) game sequence, often resulting in backtracking, especially for new players.
3. Sequence Breaking capabilities (even if not official), for some players, especially if it's not official.
4. Highly interconnected areas.
5. Powerups used to get around obstacles.
6. A focus on exploring one's environment."

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
if anything it's probably a wrpg through the eyes of a jrpg that's really an action game.

Nathan Allison

Jan 28, 2011
The Legend of Zelda is actually a shooter because you use the bow and sling shot.

No wait, it's a puzzle game since the dungeons have tons puzzles.

But then it has action combat when you fight, like bosses and mini bosses.

And a lot of adventure as you explore the land of Hyrule and discover treasures.

Oh, it maybe racing game as you race Epona.

It could be a platformer, Link is a good jumper compared to Mario.

What is this thread about?

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Zelda isn't an RPG.
When Link gets ATK, DEF, END, AGI, INT and LUK stats then yeah, it's an RPG.

LikeDustInTheWind

Mar 29, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
RPG elements like acquiring better gear as you go, engaging in dialogue with several story-driving characters, etc.
If those things mean a game is an RPG I think Bulletstorm counts as an RPG then. You get better guns as you play through, and there are several scenes of story-driving dialogue. Most games have these elements, not just RPG's.

Edit: Also, name a few RPG's or JRPG's where there is absolutely no leveling at all. That's pretty much the deciding factor for me.

SovietPanda

Jun 5, 2011
valleyshrew said:
FF was my favourite game series for the longest time and I don't like Zelda but it's a lot more of a jrpg than FFXIII was. FFXIII was corridors, combat and cutscenes and all 3 of them were shallow and unengaging. The combat was exponentially simplified, replacing a huge traditional spell library with autobattle and 6 classes. The level design was just straight lines with a marker telling you where to go at all times and a meaningless uninspired fantasy world. The cutscenes were horrible too.

I also consider Yakuza to be a jrpg and GTA to be a wrpg. RPG to me represents a game that's on a higher level than others in narrative and setting. There are two types of singleplayer games - linear/gameplay focused ones, and RPGs which have player choice and more advanced settings. The categories "action", "adventure" & "role playing" are pretty meaningless to begin with. If you think about it, FFXIII has action and adventure but no role playing outside of scripted battles and most FF games have just a smidgen of role playing. And the game I know with the most role playing (heavy rain) is never called an RPG by anyone.

I realise the term comes from d&d where it's mostly linked to combat roles but I don't play games for the combat so it wouldn't make sense to define genres by it. GTA's combat is a lot more similar to a linear shooter, but overall it's a lot more similar to an RPG.
Does that mean that if I dont drive my car for any other reason but to have somewhere comfy to sit on my way to work then noone should define cars in terms of engine performance? We can't alter the parameters for defintions to cater to everyones preferences, then we lose the whole point of having definitions. Sorry but i felt that needed to be said.

OT: When talking about video games RPG does not mean "playing a role" it means "This is a videogame version of D&D" in that it must have a stats driven character developmeent system. Your damage is dependant on your stats, your loot is dependant on your stats, generally your ability to interact with other characters is goverend by your stats. you could realistically (with enough information on the particular rules set in the particular game world) play it out on paper and achieve the same result.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
RobinHood3000 said:

+ Turn-based combat (with increasingly frequent exceptions for action RPGs, I believe)
+ Linear storyline

you haven't played that many RPG's have ya. Link has little to no character customization he normally gets the same items in each game sword, shield, switch hook, boomerang, bombs, bow/arrows, etc. Then he gets a gimmick item for the game he's in like in Ages, Seasons, Windwaker, etc. In the LOZ games you have an open world yet you normally have to tackle the dungeons in order because there's often barriers in the way that only certain items can get through them. If you played Link to the Past, shoot any LOZ pass the first he's basically driving the entire story by how he's interacting with it.

LOZ Is an action adventure that has RPG elements and its from japan. So it's an "JRPG". Demon's Souls and King Field is a "JRPG" eventhough the look and feel of the game is like a Western one. While the first Shadowrun game on the SNES is a WRPG when the overall gameplay is like Japanese one.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Although I will agree LoZ is more of an adventure game than a JRPG, I find some of the labels subjective. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Nope, it's more like an adventure game. Although you are half right, it is Japanese.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
It has RPG elements, but it's not an RPG.

Honestly, I think it might be a massive genre mix-up, even though the series began before most of these genres were even around.

NOTE: People saying JRPGs need turn-based combat, look no further than Kingdom Hearts, the Tales series, and Crisis Core.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I've always been of the mind that since you can't pick a class or develop your character in multiple ways, Zelda isn't an RPG.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Adventure title. There's no debate here. It has no elements of RPGs and Miyamoto goes on record saying it's an adventure game, including the original that he based on times he went into the forest and played as a lad (and killed Octoroks).

Zelda II is a JRPG.