Is the "long walks on the beach" line actually appealing to women?

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
I'm sure, at some point, we've all herd some sitcom or comedy use the trope of "I like long walks on the beach" when a male character is trying to get the attention of women. Now, it's been used so often that I, like many, have largely ignored it whenever it turns up. But the other day, when I had a good deal of time on my hands, I got to thinking. Does that trait actually appeal to women? Is it something they enjoy doing on dates and stuff? I say this because the line probably wouldn't have been put in so many stories unless it had been based on some true even at some point.

So yeah, open question to any women who use this site. Does that particular trait, enjoying long walks on the beach, actually seem appealing to you?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'm a man, but I think I can safely say it depends on the woman in question. It's like saying all women like shopping for clothes or all men like working with power tools; it's a perceived majority that's conflated into an unwarranted, blanket assumption (not that there's anything wrong with said activities).

Personally, I find beaches to be a bit overrated. Once you get past the initial awe of the ocean there isn't really much to see. Also, there's the sand. I hate sand. It's course and rough and irritating...and it gets everywhere!

Now, all of that changes if said beach has some decent tide pools. I could spend all day watching those cute little hermit crabs.

"P-please notice me, senpai..."​

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I'm a guy. Its not the long walk that is appealing. Its the romance. The intimacy implied.

A romantic gesture of being able to walk hand in hand with your Significant other down a beach , usually during sunset, enjoying each others company with the beautilful scenery and the sound of the waves. You have to try it once in your life.

The line is cliche as hell, and i have used it as a joke on online dating sites ( i specified it was joke). And using it that way actually got me more responses that i thought.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Lufia Erim said:
A romantic gesture of being able to walk hand in hand with your Significant other down a beach , usually during sunset, enjoying each others company with the beautilful scenery and the sound of the waves. You have to try it once in your life.
As it happens I've taken 3-4 long walks down beaches with different girls, and I can absolutely vouch for this. It's surprisingly excellent. 5/7 would recommend.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's never worked for me... but then again I live in Blackpool and our beaches are quite shitty and polluted, plus the weather isn't great here, so the "I enjoy long walks on the beach line" probably marks me out as some kind of weirdo who with an unnatural interest in sewage who likes staring out into the cold rough waters of the Irish Sea because it matches the despair in his tormented soul.

I expect it's quite a good line though if you like somewhere warmer with nice scenic beaches and romantic sunsets.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Well I enjoy long walks on the beach and I'm forever alone so I'm going to say not likely. It might also have something to do with the fact that I also like it to be at night and raining.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Depends on the beach, and one's proximity to it, I guess.

Beach side property is often more expensive, so being close means being well off, generally. Ease of access would make the walk on the beach more enjoyable, IMO. I think it's also an indication of being well off. You definitely aren't having to work all the time to enjoy a walk on the beach. No long commutes, no being exhausted from work, etc.

Who wants to drive 3 hours just to walk on the beach? It's an all day thing then. I'd call it a vacation, but lemme tell ya, driving 3 hours to a location, spending the day at the location, then driving 3 hours back isn't much of a vacation. If you drive 3 hours solid, it's a bit taxing for some. If you take rest stops, that's just more of the day your vacation is eating up, and it's just that much later when you get home. before you know it, you're getting home at midnight, and probably having to wake up early in the morning for work, or something.

Of course it's gotten cliche, though. It doesn't really mean as much anymore since it's usually a joke, or some cheap attempt to be impressive.

I don't know, that's just the way I see it.

It's probably better than saying "I like to travel" though, which kinda brings on the notion of being high maintenance in that travel, in my book, means leaving the continent, or going more than maybe 2-3 hundred miles. You know, travel meaning travelling, and going some place visually and/or culturally not one's own, and not just driving 30 min. But maybe that's just me.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I just asked my feminine side and she said no because she likes hogging the beach to contemplate how deep life is and when she's walking with someone along the beach, it disturbs her train of thought and she devolves into awkward muttering and trying to avoid small talk. Then she realises that she hates the beach because sand manages to get everywhere you don't want it to regardless of how far into the water you go.

So yes, I guess for most it would depend on location and intimacy. Neither of which I possess so I don't even know why I'm here. I'll show myself out of this thread, now. -wanders off-

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
The reasoning behind it is that long walks (on the beach, through the woods, up a hill) are introspective experiences where you get away from people for a while. When it comes to such experiences, wanting to share it with someone else is considered intimate and profound. Kinda like sharing a bath or a shower though not as physically intimate.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It probably got picked up from some romance novel at one point and then simply repeated enough to create a self replicating loop. Now people just say it because it is being said, as they do with damn near every cheesy crap that leaks from that comedy romance gunk.

The real kicker is, more people probably respond to that statement positively because they heard it somewhere before.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
never appeal me very much. but i'm in canada so our beaches are snowed in half of the year and full of mosquitos the other half...

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Rebel_Raven said:
Depends on the beach, and one's proximity to it, I guess.
Beach side property is often more expensive, so being close means being well off, generally.
Not necessarily, in Florida, sure rich people live directly next or on the beach, but most people are close enough to either coastline to where a drive wouldn't take that long. If you're looking for indicators of wealth, being able to walk on the beach wouldn't be one in this case.

-----------------------------------

OT: It's cheesy romance, if she likes cheesy romance, she'll like a walk on the beach.
As for why it gets attention in dating profiles, I would guess it's the fact they have a sense of humor getting them more attention than how original the material is.

It may also fall into the category of cliches couples might want to try once out of sheer curiosity, along with sex on the beach[footnote]Just remember folks, sand gets everywhere and sharks feed at dawn and dusk[/footnote], watching the sunset, sex in the shower and getting caught in the rain.

Flathole

Sep 5, 2015
Speaking as a guy, I always thought it was "generic pick-up line 387-4B." But, I also like hours away from the nearest beach. I do like hiking, though, and people have implied it's gay to go hiking with just another guy, especially at dusk/dark. Friendship is so gay, you know?

I'd also say there's no generic "line" that will instantly soak panties. But then, I also don't know much about romancing woman, as I am literally a dog. I know a lot about bitches, but they're too loyal and kind for human tastes. Also they're dogs and not humans so sex would prolly be weird.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Having had walks on the beach during sunset, and at night (my personal favorite), with girlfriends and spouse, I can say they are pretty enjoyable. I can't speak for how effective of a pickup line it is, as I've never used it. But the actual act of walking on the beach with a Sig Other is fairly enjoyable. Though sitting on the beach and talking to Sig Other is equally enjoyable. Just watching the stars/moonlight as they play over the water, the wind blowing in strongly, while the crashing sounds of the waves washes over you both. Highly enjoyable.