Is the "Open World" approach killing RPGs? And will it ever stop?

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
They really need to stop making everything bigger. I don't think it will stop sadly, but there will be some games that don't do it, or games that do it very well.

I would compare it to graphics. Once you get past a threshold, everything else seems like a devolution, a step back. Developers need to at least make rpgs like Kotor or Mass Effect (minimum) or else they will get shit on for being too linear. (That is; having a hub, then having a few optional quests sprinkled in some kind of open map, like the citadel, or Taris, etc.)

However, there are some games where it is welcome, and some where it is not. Elder Scrolls needs to be open world, because that is what the game is. Make a character, and do whatever you want. It just wouldn't work without an open world.
With games like The Witcher, I think it is best served in a more linear capacity, because at it's heart, the best part of the games are the story. And you can't tell a good story if after every major or minor development, the narrator then rambles on for 10 chapters about doing mundane quests until the protagonist remembers he had something important to do!

So I guess TLDR: It depends on what the game is trying to accomplish. Be a fantasy sandbox, or tell a compelling story.

Idk, was talking without thinking.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
As long as there is an element exploration through diverse scenery and interesting locales, then I'll always support open world games. The Witcher 3, T.E.R.A, DA:I, and WoW have colored my perspective when it comes to huge sprawling maps, Witcher 3 more than anything since there's no designated areas. From Velen to Novigrad it's just one long land map populated by many towns and ruins, and you can use the many quick travel points to get where you need to be.

The only time when "open world" becomes a games detriment is when it's bland, boring, and uneventful, like walking sims but with just a higher budget and more story.

Sep 13, 2009
I still like open world games, but I'd prefer a small game that has dense, interesting content instead of a massive game where everything is bland and similar. Skyrim was the latter sort of game. They wanted more than anything else a big game, and it came at the cost of the characters, and resulted in a world that was huge, but so dull and similar that I had no motivation to explore anywhere past the first dungeon. The Witcher 3 on the other hand, managed to make a huge world that had may interesting characters, interesting quests, dungeons and unique areas that I wanted to explore. I think open worlds are good for RPGs, just don't make a world bigger than you can populate.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Danbo Jambo said:
The thing is, in TW2 when I explored I came across significant elements, thing which felt intersting. In TW3 stumbling across the umpteenth bandit camp is just tiresome. I try and ride a direct route to my next objective, oh what's this, I've stumbled over another group of randoms who want to attack me for no reason. Great, that's another 5 minutes and possible restart if I die which is delaying me getting to the real nitty gritty of the game. And if I win that fight? wooo, no significant impact on anything. Yawn lol. Don't get me wrong, there's a good game in there and I appriciate that TW3 is still OK/good, whereas these elements destroyed games such as KOAR & DA:I.

I totally agree DA:I is far worse. TW3 is enjoyable at times. For me that's less times than TW2 (so far) but it's still a good game. DA:I is woeful. A truly, utterly woeful game with absolutely no sense of real involvement IMO. If someone asked whould they play TW3 I'd definitely say "try it", with "DA:I" I'd say "avoid like the plague!"

You make some great points about the way RPGs & OWGs are headed. I'm not against them in principle, I absolutely loved Morrowind, I just wish that they'd concentrate more on finding a balance between depth, story and freedom. To me it currently seems as if games are just cramming OW elements in to follow the trend & sell. Hopefully this will change :)
Ahh yes, the significant elements of 'ghost in the cliffs #300', or 'Nekker #4000', 'Drownie #30', 'Endredga #56' and the ever so memorable harpies litering the entirety of the second act.
There were a ton of just filler mobs to kill in two as well, they just didn't have a map marker above them. Some of them had a quest that'd give you a handful of coin tied to them, but that was about as impactful as most of them got.
Likewise, Witcher 3 also has the more interesting quests around. Villages that have been slaughtered and a quest to find out not what, but who did it. An abandoned manor with an old friend. Meeting a bunch of the Witches and doing their deeds and following their stories. There is, however, yes, a lot more of the random mobs sitting around, though keeping to the roads you can usually manage to avoid 90% of them. There are far more detailed quests in 3 than there were in 2, the problem is its often overwhelming in the sheer amount of stuff there is to do that as soon as you start focusing on doing things like clearing out bandit camps, content fatigue can hit pretty quickly. By and large though, its very similar to 2 in its structure; You've got a handful of main hub towns with a bunch of main quests inside them and the immediate surrounding area. The key difference is that one has loading screens and flashbacks between these sections, the other has you journeying between them yourself for the most part.
That said, I'm not going to hold it up as perfect. Honestly they should have done away with all the ? symbols and let players just find all that stuff themselves. Would provide less of a drive for players to do everything and not miss out on the 'content' around them, and instead focus them on the core parts of the game that the developer designed for them to experience. Also needed to handle its level scaling a bit better, considering how schitzophrenic it can be at times, and how that results in getting level 40 missions when you're level 5 half the time, or coming across level 30 monsters in what would otherwise seem to be a level 10 area...

DA:I does have its redeeming moments. I remember getting to the Ball at the Palace and had a great time playing that mission, because there was so much care put into everything; carefully designed puzzles to get an advantage in the ball, persuasive checks to impress the court, a mystery to solve and a lot of important actors, characters from 1 returning anew, and while there was plenty of exploring to do, it still felt focused. It wasn't a generic MMO collectathon. Its a shame much of the rest of the game wasn't similar. Its other issues, such as those involving its gameplay, also played into it not being a game I'll replay often, but it does, occasionally, have its upsides at least. It just doesn't handle its open world segments well at all.

And yeah, ATM a lot of games are focusing on the OW mechanics because they're vogue, and they're doing it somewhat intelligently in that, like DA:I, they're designing for it from the game up, but they lack the experience and manpower to make it work. DA:I as an example, was designed to be a great open world game, even though it didn't manage it. The team obviously hadn't done a ton of open world work before, and didn't really execute the level design aspect of it well [Not in aesthetics, but in the gameplay aspect], and tried to do too much small content to fill the space, rather than focusing down on a bunch of strong core content, and then putting in some mobs around the area to make the traversal areas more interesting. Don't need 30 fetch quests, 5 quests with an actual story to engage with, and a bunch of darkspawn that just happen to be in the way would be far better. They didn't just throw it in at the last minute though - honestly it might have turned out better if they did. With everyone starting to gain experience, and the market showing the ideas that work, and the ones that don't, devs should be starting to clue in on how to make good open world games, kind of like how when FPSs became the big 'thing' there were a bunch of rather mediocre ones that came out without tight controls, or that didn't understand the core appeal of the genre, but by the end of the generation we had a lot of competently executed FPS, and a tiny handful that were also creative on top of that. I think one of the biggest things they'll need to realise is that you don't create a huge world for the sake of having a huge world, but you create a world size that fits your game. You can be open world and semi-sandbox within just the territory of Crow's Perch in Witcher 3, if your game only has enough core content to really make it work in that size of world, make that size of the world. Don't make it bigger and try to stretch things across without good reason. In Witcher 3, they were trying to make a territory spanning 3 nations that the whole story takes place in, in order to allow the story to flow uninterrupted - and they've got enough core content in the game to make that work, though it does result in a huge amount of side content that they put down markers for, unfortunately. The Hinterlands in DA:I? There's no reason for it to be that big, beyond trying to make it feel bigger than the content calls for.

Hopefully the next round of open world games will be better than this one, but with how long it takes to develop them I get the feeling we'll be waiting a while to find out.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I don't think there killing, I mean look at both example you gave (and skyrim) hugely popular game. A lot of people want the illusion of freedom and can get it in these games. They can ignore the repetitive quest (crazy how many village have girl die in tragic ciscusqance to come back as ghost) and incredibly shallow gameplay (I dunno how you can enjoy W3 gameplay, it's literally "attack, attack, dodge" rinse and repeat even on highest difficulty). They even enjoy the uninteresting area over linear game with crazy and wildly imaginative set piece because walking on an empty ruin with nothing interesting and made up of re used asset feel more authentic to them.

Games sell illusion, and lots of people have an easy time getting caught up in them, once the illusion take effect you can pretty much do whatever you want and the player will just babe it up, "I'm not saving these townspeople, that were obviously put in my path, because that's literally my only choice. I'm doing it because I just, per chance, happen to find them and I personally want to save them and this will no doubt create a unique storyline that will be distinct from all millions player who will do the same things".

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I agree in general that there are too many open world games now that abandon quality writing and pacing in favour of boring repetitive quests and a big world. But with the Witcher, I feel like they did it right, and that an open world setting feels perfect for the lore of the game. A witcher is a man who basically wanders the countryside taking quests from the locals to defeat the monster of the day for money. What do you do in TW3? you wander the countryside taking quests from locals to defeat the monster of the day for money. Occasionally you get drawn into a larger scale political conflict, but Geralt hates politics and only begrudgingly takes part in it when he has to. It just works for TW3. And the side quests are varied and interesting enough to keep the game interesting I think. I felt more like a Witcher in the Witcher 3 than any of the previous games.

Apr 5, 2008
There is something to be said for good open worlds, and more to be said for bad ones. The bad ones use the open world to disguise how thin the game is. Because it takes time to get between places where things actually happen, the game disguises 20 minutes of gameplay as taking 45mins, and 10 hours as 30 hours. The journey between places certainly adds to immersion, but at the same time it substitutes empty space for actual content.

The biggest drawback with open world RPGs is tied directly to what many like about them. Namely the ability to experience and complete any content in any order. It means one can attempt the main story first, followed by side questing. One can ignore the main quest and do everything else but the main quest. One can jump in and out of a given quest line and do different activities. All of this means that there is absolutely no way to control timing, pacing, pressure, urgency or the like, outside of any single quest. Giving the player freedom to do what they want, when they want it means they cannot then have dramatic tension between quests. It's the trade off for the freedom.

It also highlights actual fresh content in these games vs. doing the same thing over and over. Shamus said a lot on the subject [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27213] about TW3 specifically. Making a game world bigger does not equal more content usually, as evidenced by MMOs, DA:I and the like. The open world has its place, for sure, but it's not the be all and end all. I think though that publishers *think* it's either what we want or that they can fool us into believing their games are bigger because we actually have to spend more time travelling to get to content than playing said content.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Couldn't disagree more. For me the witcher 3 is the perfect example on how to do an open-world rpg right. Lots of Content and high quality content at the same time. It couldn't have been done much better.
Also why are you blaming the developers for your playstyle. Nobody is forcing you to collect all those pirate-treasures. And you know that they are nothing but various sort of treasures because all question-marks are. There are no quests that trigger through those questionmarks so if you don't like doing them, but chose to do them regardless, you have noone but yourself to blame for that.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
TW3 reminds me a lot of Gothic 1-2, and I don't consider this approach to open wordliness bland and shallow.

You only have the freedom to do what makes sense in context to the franchise's themes in a large area, which is fine by me. You don't have the option to play around in a theme park world, filled with gameplay mechanics, putting butterflies into jars and decorating houses with it because you can and want to, like in Bethesda games.

Character progression and item customization are restricted aswell because of the fixed protagonist (although Gothic has classes coming with different factions, but it's part of the world's theme and integrated into the story somewhat), so that's another feature which restricts freedom compared to the usual sandbox RPG stuff.

For me it's more witchering in a larger area, I think they nailed it perfectly.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Amaror said:
Couldn't disagree more. For me the witcher 3 is the perfect example on how to do an open-world rpg right. Lots of Content and high quality content at the same time. It couldn't have been done much better.
Also why are you blaming the developers for your playstyle. Nobody is forcing you to collect all those pirate-treasures. And you know that they are nothing but various sort of treasures because all question-marks are. There are no quests that trigger through those questionmarks so if you don't like doing them, but chose to do them regardless, you have noone but yourself to blame for that.
I know I'm just one consumer with one opinion, and I respect the fact that there are obviously a ton of people who like a Skyrim-style sandbox. What I don't like is that AAA game franchises like Dragon Age have changed dramatically to massive open world sandboxes because they feel like they have to in order to sell their games, ruining a franchise that was perfect the way it was. I'm terrified that Andromeda is going to take the same turn, and I fully expect it to happen.

I want the Skyrim's to stay over there and the DAO's and ME's to stay what they were over here.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I'm reaching the point where i'll start to hate open world games.. Witcher 3 is allright, in my opinion there is enough interesting content scattered throughout the map to justify it's size, but compared to DA:Inquisition W3 is a masterpiece. Dragon age quests consists of "collect x pieces of random shit that is scattered throughout the map", oh joy!
And pretty much everything that ubisoft makes can fuck off for all i care.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Kerg3927 said:
Amaror said:
I know I'm just one consumer with one opinion, and I respect the fact that there are obviously a ton of people who like a Skyrim-style sandbox. What I don't like is that AAA game franchises like Dragon Age have changed dramatically to massive open world sandboxes because they feel like they have to in order to sell their games, ruining a franchise that was perfect the way it was. I'm terrified that Andromeda is going to take the same turn, and I fully expect it to happen.

I want the Skyrim's to stay over there and the DAO's and ME's to stay what they were over here.
Also, I play CRPG's to:

1) Experience and complete the story, all of the story; and

2) Develop my character by doing all the quests and leveling them to the max.

And that's how I've been playing them for 30 years. But in these massive open world games, playing as a completionist just leads to boredom and tedium. It's impossible on a first playthrough to know which content is trash that can be safely skipped. I have a much better experience if the trash is minimal, because avoiding it is easier said than done.

These types of games are just terrible for completionists. They are better suited for people who don't care about beating the game. People who have the attention span of a gnat. :)

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Kerg3927 said:
Kerg3927 said:
Amaror said:

And that's how I've been playing them for 30 years. But in these massive open world games, playing as a completionist just leads to boredom and tedium. It's impossible on a first playthrough to know which content is trash that can be safely skipped. I have a much better experience if the trash is minimal, because avoiding it is easier said than done.

These types of games are just terrible for completionists. They are better suited for people who don't care about beating the game. People who have the attention span of a gnat. :)
Judging by the smiley face at the end of that last sentence, I'm assuming I'm probably over thinking a joke here, but if the main criticism being put forward in this thread is that open world games are slow paced and lack direction, I really have to wonder how they could be better suited for people with low attention spans. It seems like you've got it backwards here.

Although speaking as someone who isn't a completionist, I play games to have fun, not to fill a percentage bar, so I couldn't give less of a shit about whether I've only completed 87.3874932% of the activities by the time I've moved on to some other game. If the game is fun, I'll keep playing. If the game stops being fun, I'm not just going to keep grinding through to get some meaningless achievement.

To be honest, one of my main annoyances about many open world games (especially Ubisoft) is the fact that they seem to be actively catering to completionists with their overarching game design that often consists of a series of statistics outlining the precise percentage of mundane chores you're expected to complete.

"You've collected {ITEM_AMOUNT}/{ITEM_AMOUNT_MAX} {ITEM_NAME}s. +{REWARD_AMOUNT} {REWARD_TYPE}!"

I like my RPGs open world in most cases, especially fantasy or sci-fi RPGs, since I prefer to explore the setting and lore in my own way, on my own adventure. But what I'm really getting sick of is action games deciding to be open world in the the Ubisoft variety. Some games work well as open world, like RPGs or games like Just Cause/GTA, but I'm starting get sick of so many games having the completely obligatory, by the numbers open world design.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
FirstNameLastName said:
Kerg3927 said:
Kerg3927 said:
Amaror said:

Judging by the smiley face at the end of that last sentence, I'm assuming I'm probably over thinking a joke here, but if the main criticism being put forward in this thread is that open world games are slow paced and lack direction, I really have to wonder how they could be better suited for people with low attention spans. It seems like you've got it backwards here.

Although speaking as someone who isn't a completionist, I play games to have fun, not to fill a percentage bar, so I couldn't give less of a shit about whether I've only completed 87.3874932% of the activities by the time I've moved on to some other game. If the game is fun, I'll keep playing. If the game stops being fun, I'm not just going to keep grinding through to get some meaningless achievement.

To be honest, one of my main annoyances about many open world games (especially Ubisoft) is the fact that they seem to be actively catering to completionists with their overarching game design that often consists of a series of statistics outlining the precise percentage of mundane chores you're expected to complete.

"You've collected {ITEM_AMOUNT}/{ITEM_AMOUNT_MAX} {ITEM_NAME}s. +{REWARD_AMOUNT} {REWARD_TYPE}!"

I like my RPGs open world in most cases, especially fantasy or sci-fi RPGs, since I prefer to explore the setting and lore in my own way, on my own adventure. But what I'm really getting sick of is action games deciding to be open world in the the Ubisoft variety. Some games work well as open world, like RPGs or games like Just Cause/GTA, but I'm starting get sick of so many games having the completely obligatory, by the numbers open world design.
It was a joke, kinda. :) But I do see a lot of the strongest defenders of open world games admit that they typically don't even finish the games. They just wander around for a while until they finally get bored and then move on to another game. That playstyle is inconceivable to me personally, although I try to be respectful of other people's opinions. For me, if I don't finish a game, the whole experience has been a failure and a waste of time. I play to "win."

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Kerg3927 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Kerg3927 said:
Kerg3927 said:
Amaror said:

It was a joke, kinda. :) But I do see a lot of the strongest defenders of open world games admit that they typically don't even finish the games. They just wander around for a while until they finally get bored and then move on to another game. That playstyle is inconceivable to me personally, although I try to be respectful of other people's opinions. For me, if I don't finish a game, the whole experience has been a failure and a waste of time. I play to "win."
For me, this seems rather strange, but likewise I get that this is simply another way that people approach gaming. Personally, I hope to pay a certain amount of money and get a certain amount of entertainment in return. Gaming itself is largely a pointless waste of time unless you're playing some kind of educational game, so if I was entertained during my time then I don't consider the experience a failure since entertainment was the purpose. I get that for some people completing the game is the entertainment, but I have a hard time believing they weren't also enjoying themselves before they reached the end, so it seems like not completing the game somehow retroactively invalidates all the prior fun.

I'd liken it to focusing on the journey rather than the destination, and since gaming is a journey to nowhere I think it's reasonable to do so.

Also, it should be noted that most open world games have a main quest, and I'll typically complete the main quest unless the game itself isn't worth playing. When I say I don't care about completing open world games I mean I'll typically complete the main quest + a good chunk of the content that interests me, but I won't care if there's still some minor tasks to do like collecting the last 378 of 1000 collectibles, or finishing every single quest bar none.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I'm thinking the right way to approach this question is to analyze what you mean by "RPG". In a large sector of the AAA space, we're reaching a kind of singularity where the traditionally hardline RPG entries are using open world design, and your ever vague "action/adventure" genre is continuing to tack on RPG or RPG-like elements or at the very least useless upgrade trees and thousands of "perks" that don't really abstract anything and raise maximum HP or damage dealt by ever rising percentages.

I mean, Oblivion was an open-world RPG; Skyrim stripped enough of those elements away that the snowy mountains of Kyrat actually make Far Cry 4 fulfill Far Cry 3's unofficial tagline of "Skyrim with guns". It's probably design trends and successful sales driving design principles and blah blah, but it makes me realize that I would go insane if I worked at a publisher. Their fault is really in over-reacting and being too reflexive maybe, but consider:

For a few years, "linear" was a dirty word. It was used to criticize COD campaigns and games like The Order 1886, but the message was clear: your games are too linear and scripted and we want freedom. Now there's too many fucking open world games and many of them have the obvious problem of lacking in the story department because you can pick flowers for 7 hours and a lot of the missions are instanced linear things anyway. Either way, we got what many asked for.

Capcom was told that RE6 relied far too heavily on the action and many people wondered why what little horror there was was half-assed in execution in the Revelations games. Now their coming out and saying "here's straight up horror, not representative of the final product but do be sure that it's scary and creepy and we'll leave the macho manshooting to the Raccoon City games". A lot of people think it's too far in the horror direction, or not what they wanted. I'm not sure how I would keep my hair from falling out if I was in charge of RE right now.

A lot of people were sending the message that PS4 and X1 were just too weak to really represent a generational leap in graphics and gameplay, especially after such a long and protracted PS360 generation. Now, after what would be about 5 years (rather normal historically for a console generation) the big two announce more powerful hardware that's totally optional if you feel like you need a console machine with more balls and the machine you have will still play new games. Anger and confusion ensues. Granted in this case a "half generation" is a weird move and uncharted ground, but they're delivering what people want.

I know there's always dissenters and the Internet would get angry about the arrival of God himself fixing any and all problems, but to end this crazy diatribe I just hope that the AAA space finds the time to truly innovate, and new hardware would make that more possible than ever. For 4 years we've gotten literally polished up games from the last generation, and games that take the gameplay from last-gen and made it prettier. Less copying and refinement on trends (we've been playing Arkham City's ghost for years now). I don't know, maybe VR's the future; I just need to get one and see what it's actually like.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
Skyrim syndrome. When an utterly shit game was so celebrated and decorated despite it's massive failings and minimal effort, what else can you do but sit up an take note?

Terrible combat, boring story, lifeless NPC's, uninteresting world, shallow "role playing" elements - the list goes on. But all was forgiven because of it's size and spectacle.

Lodgem

Dec 11, 2009
Country
Australia
I don't understand how 'Linear' became a dirty word when applied to RPGs. I haven't played the new Doom, but from what I've seen of it the single player campaign is extremely linear, at least regarding the basic order the different regions are to be completed, but this doesn't seem to be considered a fault. Apply a similar campaign to an RPG setting and you could expect many more complaints.

For me, RPGs have been about developing your character. Mage, fighter, thief maybe? Maybe you could try a combination? Some RPGs have had a smaller list of skills, and some larger but the two things that made a game an RPG to me is the choice in how you develop your character's skills and the sense of progression. The feeling that I'm getting stronger has always been an important part of why I've enjoyed RPGs.

Somewhere along the line a number of developers have decided that freedom to develop your characters skills should also imply freedom in the other parts of the game as well. If this is the reasoning then I don't understand it. If this isn't the reasoning the I don't understand why RPGs seem to be criticised for linearity more that other genres seem to.

Don't get me wrong, freedom can have an appeal and you can create an enjoyable experience with it, but the stronger sense of progression that I get from a more linear game also has an appeal and it would be sad to see such experiences go.