Is the Switch another Wii U?

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
You people... you people...

The Switch gets two games in one year that are so good they actually fight each other for GOTY.

After a few months the Switch doesn't have 85 more GOTYs and people are already screaming "THE SWITCHIS DED!!!! DED!!!"

Like, wow, what do you want?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
VG_Addict said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Yoshi178 said:
it must be sad only owning 1 console.
it must be sad only playing Nintendo and Microsoft 1st-party games that are only the same like 10 games over and over again.
says the guy who wants me to play games like the 1 millionth GTA release :)
I said explore the space, which includes the GTAs/CODs/AssCreeds/etc along with anything else from a Dishonored/Hitman/Metro to a Divinity/Pillars/Shadow Tactics to Inside/Sexy Brutale/Edith Finch to digital board games. TRY IT ALL. I don't like GTA, but I wouldn't not want the option of playing it.

There's been more Marios/Zeldas/Pokemons than GTAs.
That's because Mario and Zelda have been around longer than GTA.
GTA was getting pretty close to catching up to Zelda despite the 10 year gap before it got derailed by GTA Online milking.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
who said i haven't explored the space?

don't shit on Mario for having lots of sequels when alot of the 3rd Party games you want me to play and be interested in suffer from the EXACT same type of sequelitis that Mario does.
Uhh... you did...

I don't want to you specifically play anything in particular, just explore the space.

VG_Addict said:
Phoenixmgs said:
There's been more Marios/Zeldas/Pokemons than GTAs.
That's because Mario and Zelda have been around longer than GTA.
The main problem for me with Nintendo is they rarely do new IPs. Every new generation, they role out literally the same games over and over again. Stuff like Uncharted, TLOU, Assassin's Creed, Souls all started last-gen for example.

Seth Carter said:
GTA was getting pretty close to catching up to Zelda despite the 10 year gap before it got derailed by GTA Online milking.
Outside of the PS2 gen, there's been like 1 GTA each generation. There was quite a gap between GTA4 & 5 without GTA Online milking.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
Seth Carter said:
Outside of the PS2 gen, there's been like 1 GTA each generation. There was quite a gap between GTA4 & 5 without GTA Online milking.
Which doesn't change the total number of games they had at that point? There's 11 Grand Theft Auto games, that's a pretty good catchup rate to 13 Zelda games despite an 11 year head start.

If I was making some negative point about content vomiting, I'd use Resident Evil or something, there's like, 20 of those in the same period (or Assassins Creed, which is also somewhere around 20 in even less time).

Moreso E3 season awakens my pedantic amusement at the goofy numbering systems in games. As we prep for Elder Scrolls 10 (and 11) and Fallout 9.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
Yoshi178 said:

don't shit on Mario for having lots of sequels when alot of the 3rd Party games you want me to play and be interested in suffer from the EXACT same type of sequelitis that Mario does.
Uhh... you did...

I don't want to you specifically play anything in particular, just explore the space.
i have explored the space. the space wasn't very interesting.

Phoenixmgs said:
The main problem for me with Nintendo is they rarely do new IPs. Every new generation, they role out literally the same games over and over again. Stuff like Uncharted, TLOU, Assassin's Creed, Souls all started last-gen for example.
yeah and how many of them are still pumping out sequels and remasters? oh right. all of them.

BTW: Splatoon, ARMS, Daemon X Machina, the Wonderful 101

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Why is third party support considered a measure of success against Nintendo? Nintendo does not need third party support, they are Nintendo! They have Mario, Zelda, Pok?mon, POKEMON! Nintendo could JUST have Pok?mon and they would do fiiiiine.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Saelune said:
Why is third party support considered a measure of success against Nintendo? Nintendo does not need third party support, they are Nintendo! They have Mario, Zelda, Pok?mon, POKEMON! Nintendo could JUST have Pok?mon and they would do fiiiiine.
I would have thought that was obvious to be honest.

Most people don't have the time or money to dedicate to multiple systems, nor to buy the games they would like for them. So they have to try and pick the system that gives the best value to them.

Yes the Switch has Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Yet the PS4, for example, has its own great exclusives and larger third party support. So people have that choice. Great first party titles and little third party support or great first party titles and greater third party support. It really isn't hard to see why people have a bit of a downer, for want of a better word, against Nintendo.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WolvDragon said:
Sure Nintendo would do fine with their first party line up, but console sales wouldn't tick up if they solely relied on console exclusives.
Wii, Nintendo DS and 3DS say hi!

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WolvDragon said:
Btw Wii attracted a large casual audience with it's motion controls.
alot like how the PS2 attracted the casual audience with it's DVD Player. :)

PS Vita also says hi btw! :)

and there were definitely smartphones around before the DS. nice try though lol

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
WolvDragon said:
So why didn't the 3DS reach DS numbers? Why did it underperform compared to the DS?
i don't know, Why hasn't Sony ever been able to beat Nintendo and outperform them in the Handheld gaming console market?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Yoshi178 said:
Uhh... you did...
i have explored the space. the space wasn't very interesting.
You said here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1055335-Switch-Online-Service?page=6#24246465] that all the space you explored included a COD game, 2 Red Steels, 2 Batmans, and Skyrim. That's not exploring the space.

Yoshi178 said:
yeah and how many of them are still pumping out sequels and remasters? oh right. all of them.

BTW: Splatoon, ARMS, Daemon X Machina, the Wonderful 101
Vs Nintendo pumping out sequels and remasters forever?

Here's JUST Sony's 1st-party new IPs from PS3:
-Folklore
-Resistance
-Uncharted
-TLOU
-MotorStorm
-InFamous
-Lair
-LittleBigPlanet
-Demon's Souls
-Heavy Rain
-MAG
-ModNation Racers
-White Knight Chronicles
-Puppeteer
-Beyond: Two Souls
-Journey and probably at least another dozen PSN new IPs

Sony owns more devs and lets them experiment far more than either Nintendo or Microsoft.

WolvDragon said:
So why didn't the 3DS reach DS numbers? Why did it underperform compared to the DS? Also smart phones as know them today didn't flood the market with their mobile games until late last decade which was right around the time the 3DS first showed up.
Pretty much this. With digital board games becoming a thing recently, my phone literally has better games than any portable game system on the market. I'd much rather play Through the Ages, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and Terraforming Mars than probably any game on 3DS or Vita.

Yoshi178 said:
Sony tried and failed.
Exactly. :)
Just maybe it was because the DS had more games, just maybe... Like maybe if the Switch had more games, it would overtake Sony in the console market. But that's just some crazy idea that has absolutely no basis.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
votemarvel said:
Saelune said:
I would have thought that was obvious to be honest.

Most people don't have the time or money to dedicate to multiple systems, nor to buy the games they would like for them. So they have to try and pick the system that gives the best value to them.

Yes the Switch has Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Yet the PS4, for example, has its own great exclusives and larger third party support. So people have that choice. Great first party titles and little third party support or great first party titles and greater third party support. It really isn't hard to see why people have a bit of a downer, for want of a better word, against Nintendo.
PS4 doesn't have Nintendo games though. Like, so what if Nintendo only makes a fucking shit ass ton of money instead of a fucking shit ass ton more money?

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
You said here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.1055335-Switch-Online-Service?page=6#24246465] that all the space you explored included a COD game, 2 Red Steels, 2 Batmans, and Skyrim. That's not exploring the space.
Yes it is. not everyone wants to, or can afford to play literally every single 3rd Party title in existence like you do. it's already hard enough collecting Nintendo games without adding every single other 3rd Party game out there to my budget as well lol.

and i'd much rather play Mario over the latest FIFA ANY day of the week lol.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So is there any purpose in anyone else besides you guys being in this thread anymore? Just asking so I know if I shouldn't bother coming back and decide if I should get some writing done or try out the Octopath Traveler demo.