Is the Switch one of the least controversial console names?

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Apart from the Playstations, the Switch seemed to not raise as much of a fuss about its name as Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, PS Vita or even Gamecube.

I like the name, it's perfectly fine even if lacking that "spark" that usually comes with console names.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I find most console names are generally pretty shit. Switch is probably one of the better ones. It's short and snappy and has that animated logo to accompany it with the two pieces that click into place. It's definitely one of the more marketable ones. Unlike, say, Wii U. I seriously hope someone got fired for that name.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Well it doesn't bring urine to mind or a urine addon (when it's actually an entirely different console,) so you can't say it's not an improvement.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
MHR said:
Well it doesn't bring urine to mind or a urine addon (when it's actually an entirely different console,) so you can't say it's not an improvement.
mostly this, but also it has a nice sound to it and it describes what it does

Plus the design of the console itself and of the logos and marketing stuff all look a million times better than the Wii U stuff did

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
No.

In fact, it could be one of the most controversial console names if someone wanted it to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch_(corporal_punishment)

With the right needling and button pushing at the right targets, it could be quite easy to manufacture an outrage and create a narrative that Nintendo is condoning corporal punishment and child abuse by naming their console after a device which is used to administer cruel beatings.

I know it's ridiculous, but small controversies have attempted to be conjured up over less controversial and more innocent worlds (e.g. the use of the word "petard" and its ableist suffix), so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that a member of the perpetually outraged brigade with access to a social media account and too much time on their hands could grab the wrong end of the Switch and attempt to create a controversy regarding its name.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Its a lame name, but thats because its a real word. NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U are all immediately noticeable. Other than having a The before it, Im sure people will mistake it for not a noun.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Uncontroversial and uninteresting, you don't actually "switch" anything so it's doesn't work. Maybe the "convo" would have been better "it's so convenient that you can carry on playing while away from the house".

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
It is super-controversial! It is called the Switch, which is half of a Bait & Switch. We all know that Nintendo likes to overpromise and that means that this time they are aware that the Switch is sub-par, so instead of trying to obfuscate it they hide their intention in plain sight! They are out to rob all of us and they even have the audacity to put it in the consoles very name!

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
It's utterly generic, which means it can be easily confused for lot of things if the context isn't clear and searching for it can bring out lot of unwanted results.

But it's not terrible. Gamecube is my favourite of their names really. It's clear (it's a cube that plays games) dictinct, and there's no confusion in how to spell it.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Lieju said:
It's utterly generic, which means it can be easily confused for lot of things if the context isn't clear and searching for it can bring out lot of unwanted results.

But it's not terrible. Gamecube is my favourite of their names really. It's clear (it's a cube that plays games) dictinct, and there's no confusion in how to spell it.
You beat me to it.

It's a bland name. So, not being controversial is not a big accomplishment. At least, with a controversial name, people are talking about it.

Apr 5, 2008
Xbox had the stupidest names. The second iteration was 360...why? Wss it a circle? Did it do algebra? Was it a metaphor? Whatever, what did they call the third iteration? The bloody One. So what the hell is the first one then? The third is One, the second is 360, so what, the fourth will be 17? Or maybe it could be xbox 3.14159, or an imaginary number like i, square route of 2 or something else equally stupid.

At least Sony has a recognizable brand with a sense of continuity.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
I am just waiting for a meme involving a gamer bent over being beaten with a switch. It just seems as built to poke fun at as the other console names.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
It makes sense ("Switch" between playing on the TV and on the go) unlike, say, naming your third system the "Xbox One"...Microsoft.

That and the fact that there's a whole lot more to talk about than the name. Such as: Why the fuck are they still trying to shove motion controls down our gullets?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Saelune said:
Its a lame name, but thats because its a real word. NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, Wii U are all immediately noticeable. Other than having a The before it, Im sure people will mistake it for not a noun.
I'm now imagining a home dinner double date suddenly falling into a long awkward silence after the host said 'Wanna do some Switch?', because the other couple thinks he just proposed swinging.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Yoshi178 said:
Rangaman said:
Why the fuck are they still trying to shove motion controls down our gullets?
i don't know why are you so against motion controls?
Because it's a gimmick that not only requires you to put in more effort to do things you could accomplish with a simple button press, but it also makes you look like a complete fool while doing so.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I'm just worried next time I'm going about my evil business and I yell for my minions to "Throw the switch!", I'm going to get a Nintendo console thrown at my head.

I often wake at night screaming after such a nightmare and faintly mutter, "Nintendo you fools, what have you done."

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Rangaman said:
Yoshi178 said:
Rangaman said:
Why the fuck are they still trying to shove motion controls down our gullets?
i don't know why are you so against motion controls?
Because it's a gimmick that not only requires you to put in more effort to do things you could accomplish with a simple button press, but it also makes you look like a complete fool while doing so.
and yet, Splatoon has 2 ways to play the game. normal controls. or gyro motion controls.

guess which type of controls the majority of the overall and competitive Splatoon player base prefers using?