Is the whole "Kony 2012" thing already over?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
OneCatch said:
thenumberthirteen said:
To be honest I missed it. I have little to no idea what it is all about. I read a couple of threads on here about it, but they never explained anything. As far as I could figure out they were raising money to stop an African warlord. I'm assuming they would use that money to hire mercenaries or something. Which, if true, is not very charitable.
You're frighteningly close to the truth!
But instead of mercs they were going to use the SPLA and Ugandan Army with American special advisers.
Team America: World Police! So what was the money for then?

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
OneCatch said:
thenumberthirteen said:
To be honest I missed it. I have little to no idea what it is all about. I read a couple of threads on here about it, but they never explained anything. As far as I could figure out they were raising money to stop an African warlord. I'm assuming they would use that money to hire mercenaries or something. Which, if true, is not very charitable.
You're frighteningly close to the truth!
But instead of mercs they were going to use the SPLA and Ugandan Army with American special advisers.
Team America: World Police! So what was the money for then?
For making more shit films. That's about it

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Bloodtrozorx said:
Another brief chapter in social activism closed. We now take you back to your regularly scheduled program.
Which is of course 'Unending Internet Rage: Mass Effect 3 Endings Edition'.

OT: I didn't see this going very far to begin with, the Internet can be useful to spread a message but unless it is mostly rage at something directly affecting it or the people who use it, it doesn't stay for very long.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
As everyone has said, it was an outdated movement with good intentions, but it isn't close to the home front (like SOPA), its charity wasn't the nicest or least corruptible of the bunch, and the head of the charity was last heard of being high as the clouds as he wanked one out in public.

It's remarkable it made it this far.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
A Raging Emo said:
Jadak said:
A Raging Emo said:
Hell, the fact that some people didn't know who he was beforehand was pretty shocking.
Because Uganda should be something everyone is well read up on? Seriously, most of what goes on in most African nations isn't going to be something most people have the slightest clue about.
Not Uganda. The LRA, recruitment of Child "Soldiers", war crimes, et cetera.

If these people all truely cared, you'd think they would know about these things going on long beforehand.

The whole kony issue aside. I hate seeing this argument whenever someone is discussing an issue that has suddenly gotten a lot of attention. I don't see the logic in saying "If you didn't know about it before you are not allowed to care now." Seems a strange idea to me. I mean I can't know about every bad thing happening.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
It is.

I'm actually surprised at how fast all the slacktivists and keyboard warriors forgot about it, I'd figured it would've lasted a couple of weeks longer than it did.

On a related note:

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
A Raging Emo said:
Jadak said:
A Raging Emo said:
Hell, the fact that some people didn't know who he was beforehand was pretty shocking.
Because Uganda should be something everyone is well read up on? Seriously, most of what goes on in most African nations isn't going to be something most people have the slightest clue about.

If these people all truely cared, you'd think they would know about these things going on long beforehand.

The whole kony issue aside. I hate seeing this argument whenever someone is discussing an issue that has suddenly gotten a lot of attention. I don't see the logic in saying "If you didn't know about it before you are not allowed to care now." Seems a strange idea to me. I mean I can't know about every bad thing happening.
Just to clarify, it isn't "You aren't allowed to care now". The majority of Kony 2012's supporters, that I knew of (ie. People on Facebook/Tumblr/Life/Wherever; people I actually know) only supported it because it was "The Thing to Do", not because they actually gave a shit.

I only think that if they really, really cared, they would have already found out about Kony, because the LRA were not a small organisation.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
A Raging Emo said:
Fieldy409 said:
A Raging Emo said:
Jadak said:
A Raging Emo said:

Just to clarify, it isn't "You aren't allowed to care now". The majority of Kony 2012's supporters, that I knew of (ie. People on Facebook/Tumblr/Life/Wherever; people I actually know) only supported it because it was "The Thing to Do", not because they actually gave a shit.

I only think that if they really, really cared, they would have already found out about Kony, because the LRA were not a small organisation.
I didn't know. So you are telling me that I don't really care. But I do, it's dreadful what this kony has done. I did support kony 2012 at first like most of the uniformed. But now I see it's pretty dodgy. Still it has given me a reminder of what's going on over there, and I think I might start supporting a charity for the first time, so I think good has come of this thing.

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
A Raging Emo said:
Fieldy409 said:
A Raging Emo said:
Jadak said:
A Raging Emo said:

I didn't know. So you are telling me that I don't really care.
Incorrect. I'm saying that all the people who supported it for appearances who claimed that they always have cared about this sort of thing for their whole lives forever, who now don't give a shit because it's blown over, don't care.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
A Raging Emo said:
Fieldy409 said:
A Raging Emo said:
Fieldy409 said:
A Raging Emo said:
Jadak said:
A Raging Emo said:

I didn't know. So you are telling me that I don't really care.
Incorrect. I'm saying that all the people who supported it for appearances who claimed that they always have cared about this sort of thing for their whole lives forever, who now don't give a shit because it's blown over, don't care.
Well, yeah thats bad. I do wonder how many people are really that cynical and selfish in their desire to look like a good person on facebook though. Maybe it is just a case of genuine care mixed with short attention spans?

TephlonPrice

Dec 24, 2011
Witty Name Here said:
I'll admit during this whole Kony 2012 debacle I had no freaking clue what the heck was going on.

People just seemed to start mentioning it all of a sudden and I had no clue what they meant by it. Sometimes it seems like a charity to support something called "kony" other times people are against the charity, sometimes it's a documentary.

Can someone explain to me what the heck Kony 2012 actually is? The most I've ever seen people mention it is by saying something along the lines of "Yeah! Kony 2012 is so evil! Don't support it!"
A campaign started on the internet to help locate & capture Joseph Kony, former LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) leader & user of child soldiers, by way of military (mostly United States) intervention. Kony 2012 was started by Invisible Children, a media-oriented charity group. There are major problems with it however:

-Joseph Kony last operated in 2006, according to reports. Some say he's been killed; others say he's hiding in the Congo with around 200-500 soldiers; others say Kony was killed long before 2006. So he's either KIA or no longer in Uganda or even Sudan.

-The film shows Kony's ops in Uganda. The Ugandan people saw Kony 2012 & called it a load of bullshit, saying if the West really cared, they wouldn't put his face on anything & that Kony's long been dead or ineffective.

-Kony, over the course of 20 years, has racked up around 100,000 killed. Compare this to Uganda's own government forces, which have racked up 7 million killed. So who's worse?

-Invisible Children's plans with the money donated goes to the SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army) & Uganda's military, both of whom have employed child soldiers, along with rape, looting & mass killing of civilians. So any donated money first goes through them, and then to the children... if it gets there.

-Kony looks like the black guy from Predator.

-The LRA, according to Uganda's government & official reports, hasn't been a problem since 2003.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
I know that to a presumably Liberal person like you (and an assuredly Liberal audience such as The Escapist) what that article has to say probably sounds scary... but... it's really not.

I don't really want to get into a debate about this, but while you sat there and read, "These people discriminate against minorities" I sat there and read, "These people want to protect traditional views of family."
So exterminate everyone who does not conform to your beliefs falls under protecting your views of family? So does this mean it is fine for me to advocate exterminating all Christians to protect western civilization?

Mimsofthedawg said:
I also don't find their views that radical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Ssempa

Where the fuck do you live? Somalia? Murdering people with a different opinion or life than yours is not acceptable. >_>

Mimsofthedawg said:
While there may be connections to a major politician in Uganda who happens to hate homosexuals (hey, guess what, if you want to work in any country like Invisible Children's goals are in Uganda, you're likely to have a run in with a major politician, like them or not),
It's a priest.

Mimsofthedawg said:
the majority of these organization are only "anti-homosexual" insofar that they believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman.
Is that why they're bunking with a guy equating homosexuals with paedophiles like a 1950s good Christian conservative and attempting to force through a law requiring their extermination?

Mimsofthedawg said:
Don't think that I'm supporting this view or in any way reducing it's impact.
Mimsofthedawg said:
I also don't find their views that radical.
Exterminating people for not conforming to your views is not radical to you?

Mimsofthedawg said:
But these are hardly comparable to other serious allegations (such as Left-wing group ACORN and their connections to well-known Communists, or Bill Ayer's, a radical-anarchist and former terrorists, connections with Obama).

And for the record, I support same-sex marriage.
These aren't allegations, they're quite open about it and the bill to exterminate homosexuals would have passed quite easily had western donors not stated that they weren't going to be funding such projects. If you support exterminating homosexuals for behaving in a non-Christian way what the hell is the point of same-sex marriage?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
viranimus" post="18.355823.14129345 said:
Yes, the campaign of faux enlightenment is dead and buried. No body thought of the children.
LRR makes us all think of them once a year every year, but i guess that's just not the way hipsters like it. Or it's just not how the public likes it because you have to actually spend some money on Desert Bus to be counted among the contributors, it's not enough to just click a button or watch a half hour video.

OT: You really gotta love the attitude of our culture, right? "All we have to do is spread the name, and with the wide range of the internet you can do it all from the comfort of your own living room", boom and people give 50 bucks, share the video on facebook and think they're helping to solve all the world's problems. God forbid you actually had to do some fucking work to sort out the big issues that drape over the planet like a huge blanket of corruption and deceit.

EDIT: In case it didn't cross i'm sort of glad to see the Kony 2012 thing crash and burn. It lets me kick back with the knowing that i didn't throw any money into it because i didn't feel like i had enough info, and i honestly couldn't be bothered to look.

Captcha: No way
...even they are against me

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
There oughta be a followup video in which Gavin is asked what should be done about Jason Russell masturbating in public.

Maybe he would advocate banning alcohol.