Is The Witcher 3 overrated?

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
Phoenixmgs said:
From the looks of it (watching a video and skimming through the text), it doesn't seem to change the "feel" of the combat or remove some of the most unbalanced aspects. I read nothing about Quen and Axii being nerfed as they are so OP in the base game.
The mod changes far too many things to list every change in the description. It's definitely more balanced, but you also need to "git gud" because it requires a much greater focus from the player during combat. You can't just spam fast attacks and hope to win. And you'll need to be smarter with your money as well. But almost every aspect of the mod can also be customized to your liking in the mod menu so you can make it as easy or as difficult as you want.

Read the changelog to get an idea of how much stuff the mod adds and changes. Quen and Axii are definitely nerfed. The skills have been changed almost entirely. Also, the mod author added cute little details. If you try to cast quen in the water or you enter the water with active quen you get electrocuted to death :D
Also you can kill drowners with Aard underwater with this mod.
I've looked into that mod Jensen and it looks incredible. I was under the impression that it works best with mouse and keys as opposed to a controller because of all of the extra combat options and directional movement. Is that true? That was literally my only reservation for installing it because I like playing Witcher 3 with a controller.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ZombieProof said:
I've looked into that mod Jensen and it looks incredible. I was under the impression that it works best with mouse and keys as opposed to a controller because of all of the extra combat options and directional movement. Is that true? That was literally my only reservation for installing it because I like playing Witcher 3 with a controller.
I couldn't tell you. I never played TW3 with a controller. I know that you can disable new manual aiming style if you don't like it or if you're using a controller, I guess.

If I had to guess I'd say that mouse and keyboard works best for default mod setup because the mod adds something called "attack distance modifier". What that does is it separates close range, medium range and long range attacks with a press of a button. And once you get good at it, it really changes the way the combat feels. It makes you dance around the enemies like a ballerina. It's far more "witchery" than vanilla. In vanilla game everything is done automatically and I doubt that the new system can be emulated with a controller.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Yes but it's still a great game and the Blood & Wine expansion is even better. It's however not ''the best game ever'' which many reviewers seem to think but that's just my opinion.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Timedraven 117 said:
bartholen said:
Timedraven 117 said:
I also wanted to learn more about the world and the creatures in it, but unfortunately the game heavily lacks in those features and I'm easily distracted with other games so I couldn't find the will to invest more than 10 hours into the game to start with.
Er, what? You know there's a codex journal, right? With probably triple digits of entries for every character and monster you fight, most with multiple paragraphs of text.
Sorry, don't know why Escapist doesn't let me know when I'm qouted anymore.

Anyways, yes that is true. but its still not enough. Especially for many of the monsters you fight there's just so little to know about them. I really wanted to know more about the necrophages most of all.
The quote function resets every week. You have to turn it back on manually.

Edit: just realised the pointlessness of this. GL Draven

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
And once again for anyone who still hasn't played it, Steam has the GotY edition back on sale for $19.99 which is the lowest it seems to get currently. Even better yet, they also have The Witcher 2 EE steeply discounted to only $2.99.

It's a great time to be a witcher.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Yes but it's still a great game and the Blood & Wine expansion is even better. It's however not ''the best game ever'' which many reviewers seem to think but that's just my opinion.
Oh please, everything can't be Fortnite or Metal Gear:Survive

*trollface.jpg*

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
ZombieProof said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Oh please, everything can't be Fortnite or Metal Gear:Survive

*trollface.jpg*

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Im not a fan of open world games in general I just find them mostly empty populated with areas of activity that I have to get to and which I feel would have been much more engaging if it had happened in a linear fashion so I didnt have to waste my time traversing empty pointless space. The only exception I can think of is the elder scroll series where I do enjoy just wandering around.

However I try things which I am likely not to like now and again so I have the possibility of getting a nice surprise and recently have gotten in the sale Horizon zero dawn and the Witcher 3 and er yeah neither are engaging me that much.

The Witcher 3 is one I honestly want to like a lot more as I like the characters, world and lore but damn its a hard slog and seriously those controls and the combat are absolute garbage barely functional even. As for the map I just think its mostly empty like most open world games there just isnt really much emergent gameplay. As for the writing I am enjoying it oh and the weapon degradation stuff yeah likein most games that have it I find that it does little but provide a constant annoyance.

I will keep going for a bit because as I said I do like the world and characters but damn its a slog atm.

As for Horizon I feel that has better combat and controls than the witcher 3 and an interesting world but with slightly less interesting characters and somehow even less interesting quests. I think they are both superior in almost every way to something like GTA3/4/5 though.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Im not a fan of open world games in general I just find them mostly empty populated with areas of activity that I have to get to and which I feel would have been much more engaging if it had happened in a linear fashion so I didnt have to waste my time traversing empty pointless space. The only exception I can think of is the elder scroll series where I do enjoy just wandering around.

However I try things which I am likely not to like now and again so I have the possibility of getting a nice surprise and recently have gotten in the sale Horizon zero dawn and the Witcher 3 and er yeah neither are engaging me that much.

The Witcher 3 is one I honestly want to like a lot more as I like the characters, world and lore but damn its a hard slog and seriously those controls and the combat are absolute garbage barely functional even. As for the map I just think its mostly empty like most open world games there just isnt really much emergent gameplay. As for the writing I am enjoying it oh and the weapon degradation stuff yeah likein most games that have it I find that it does little but provide a constant annoyance.

I will keep going for a bit because as I said I do like the world and characters but damn its a slog atm.

As for Horizon I feel that has better combat and controls than the witcher 3 and an interesting world but with slightly less interesting characters and somehow even less interesting quests. I think they are both superior in almost every way to something like GTA3/4/5 though.
In what ways? It?s far smoother than the previous two games and TW2 was already regarded as pretty smooth. If anything the camera can get annoying in tight places, at least with KB/M. The combat is simple though so maybe that?s what you meant.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
The Witcher 3 pretty much ruined gaming for me because everything else just seems so shit in comparison.
Pretty much what happened to me as well. It's the writing and the world building more than anything, I think. I care about that stuff a lot in video games.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
trunkage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The people who didn't like it are going to say yes, the people who did are going to say no. What are you expecting from this?
Does this help? I think the Witcher 3 is overrated mainly because people blindly ignore all of its faults. But I still think it is the game of that year. It could still be the best RPG. But that doesn't mean it's prefect in any shape or form.
People ignoring a game's faults doesn't make a game overrated. Every game has faults. It's the ability to love a game despite it's faults.

Fact of the matter is Johnny is right. If you liked the game, then no it isn't overrated. If you didn't, then yes.

I feel the same way towards Breath of the Wild. I hated the game and think people way overblow how "good" it is. But to them it doesn't matter. I think Zelda is a trash game, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad game to those that enjoyed it.

Why does it matter what people say about a game. If you didn't like it, then fine. But calling something overrated is just a spiteful way to mock the people that had fun with a game that you didn't.

How about we all let people enjoy the things they like and take opinions as merely individual opinions?

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
I thought it was okay. Not bad for a bloated massive open world game. Great visuals. Good characters. Geralt is cool as f*ck. Solid overall story. Some good side quests. But the world is too big, and there were too many tedious side quests, and too many filler bandit camps and smugglers caches. The combat is also mediocre at best.

I think if you're someone who can mostly stick to the main story, can identify and skip filler, and don't mind missing a gem side quest here and there as a consequence, it can be a very good game. If you're someone like me who is an OCD completionist and feels compelled to do all the quests and explore every marker on the map, the game becomes a slog.

So I wouldn't call it "overrated." I'd just say that the game is not for everyone.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Here's quite a few interesting mods [https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-witcher-3-mods/] that could help make it not over rated as well, for anyone who thought it was in the first place.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
The Witcher 3 pretty much ruined gaming for me because everything else just seems so shit in comparison.
I feel this way about the Mass Effect and Dark Souls trilogies. I compare every story-focused RPG to the former and every action RPG to the latter, and everything just feels inferior.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm surprised people having problems with Gerald. At first I too thought he was the generic angry though guy most western games have for the lead role but I was caught off guard how little Gerald resembled that type of character. Gerald's a merry guy who cracks jokes, often has a sarcastic comment to make and has a rich social circle which he shares cute inside jokes with. He even willingly allows himself to take part in all sort of wacky favors for his friends like becoming an actor or poorly pretending to be a bandit so his friend can look like a hero to some girl.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Hades said:
I'm surprised people having problems with Gerald. At first I too thought he was the generic angry though guy most western games have for the lead role but I was caught off guard how little Gerald resembled that type of character. Gerald's a merry guy who cracks jokes, often has a sarcastic comment to make and has a rich social circle which he shares cute inside jokes with. He even willingly allows himself to take part in all sort of wacky favors for his friends like becoming an actor or poorly pretending to be a bandit so his friend can look like a hero to some girl.
Or dressing up in his girlfriend's clothing and drunk dialing mages.

Geralt is funny because he is also so serious, but he's also sarcastic as hell and his deadpan delivery really makes people guess if he's kidding or not.

Sure, he's a bit of a Gary Stu, but by god when he's funny he's hilarious.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010

No, it isn't. A thread titled like this one is a good way to artificially stimulate "conversation" though. "Is [Popular Thing] Overrated? PLZ Comment Within I Am Terribly Lonely."