Is there a hatred of California in the USA?

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Doclector said:
Nouw said:
I always thought there was a hatred of Florida in the U.S.A. What, with that bugsbunny.gif and all.
Yeah, pretty much this. It is unreal the amount of stupidity that comes out of florida. It doesn't even really make sense, I mean, what's fuelling it?

But of course, it's a large area, so there's undoubtedly some intelligent lifeforms living there. Lifeforms I feel terribly sorry for.

Never heard much about negative said about California, though, aside from LA's supposed crime levels.
Fear not for they have Florida Man to watch over them!
http://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan

Kolby Jack said:
Traffic. Arrogance. Vapidness. Disconnected from the rest of the world. Gangs. Dirty Cops. A crappy airport that most flights route through. Smog.
Also racism and anti-immigration nut jobs....

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I am from Missouri, and I have never heard an actual person say an unkind word about California, or indeed many words at all. I will occasionally hear talking heads on the TV or read letters from the NRA demonizing "Hollywood liberals who hate our freedoms," but that's as close as I've ever come to hearing anyone talk about hating California.

I wouldn't want to live there because I don't like earthquakes or smog, but that's about geology and atmosphere, not geopolitical borders or culture or anything.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
I was browsing around the escapist when I read the comments in this thread and there were jokes about nuking California.

I'm from Australia so I got that they were jokes but not why people were making them so I wanted to know if there is a common dislike of California that I don't know about.
Hates a little strong. California just has a different culture, and tends to create a sort of jersey shore image for itself. But just like no one would seriously want a nuke dropped on the American South (I hope) no one would want anything bad to happen to California. Truth be told, every region of the U.S. has its weird little stereotypes that we make fun of one another for. But just like most people in the souh aren't backwards rednecks, most people in cali aren't shallow starlets.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Kolby Jack said:
Californians are mostly pretty cool. A LOT of American cultural movements had their roots in California, so it'd be pretty stupid to hate them for trend-setting. That said, most people from LA suck. I think even Californians (who aren't from LA, and even then...) would agree with me there. LA is a shitty place, though that's true for most big cities in some way or another.
Yeah I live about 40 minutes from LA, and while I can't say I dislike the people of LA, I dislike the city for sure. It's one of the most disappointing major cities in the world. If you come to California, go anywhere around LA, just don't go to the city itself.

OT: Well, I think there could be some hatred for California, just as there is hatred for New York, and Texas. People probably feel like we (like them) think we are the best state, and while I love California, we have so many awful problems, education being a big one for example.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
JimB said:
I am from Missouri, and I have never heard an actual person say an unkind word about California, or indeed many words at all. I will occasionally hear talking heads on the TV or read letters from the NRA demonizing "Hollywood liberals who hate our freedoms," but that's as close as I've ever come to hearing anyone talk about hating California.

I wouldn't want to live there because I don't like earthquakes or smog, but that's about geology and atmosphere, not geopolitical borders or culture or anything.
I am also from Missouri, and I have on occasion heard people talk about California as though it's some blight on America's otherwise pristine beauty. They talk about it as though it's going to hell in a handbasket, and seem to think their current drought situation is their just desserts for having the gall to be so "liberal." Of course they're a great minority, but I promise you such people exist ;-)

Anyway, did you hear about the mayor of St. Louis having four gay couples secretly married in his offices? It's wonderful. Of course Kostner is trying to have their marriages stayed, but even if he continues to embarassingly try and fight them it's just going to go the way of all fights like this when it hits the federal courts.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I know a lot of people will joke about hating California but I don't know of many who would actually want it destroyed. The US is huge though so of course there are people who will want it obliterated. That being said though, I've noticed that for every person who genuinely wants California destroyed there are two more who hate Texas and, 10 more who hate New Jersey.

Mark Rhodes

Nov 15, 2011
In the Mecca of cultural progression that is Mississippi, some people to indeed hate California and everything they seem to think it stands for.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
In my experience hating certain states seems to come more from people's political affiliation. For instance, a very conservative individual will hate California because of how liberal it is while Liberals will give Texas hate for it's rampant conservatism.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I guess its similar to people from Britain hating London

every place gets it really. Im from Glasgow and we get no end of shit. It's just a bit of banter that happens between cities/states

If any Californians are reading this dont worry us Brits hate everywhere in America equally...just kidding although from what the media tells us is that new york is a big London, the south is full of extremist christians, florida is full of retired people and tourists, rhode island is full of animated characters with funny chins, new mexico is full of meth dealers, wisconson is that 70's state and Jersey has a shore where weird fake tan people mince around. So I guess california seems pretty normal in comparison

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Dead Century said:
True. Canada has plenty of stereotypes that we like to poke fun with. Albertans are cowboys, the BC coast is full of stoners, Newfoundlanders are friendly to the point of creepy, Toronto has hipsters, Saskatchewan is so flat that if your dog runs away you can see him in the fields for 3 days, etc.
Having been to most of those places, most of those are approximately true.

Haven't actually been to Newfoundland, but worked with enough of them that it seems pretty accurate.

And have never noticed any particular dominance of Hipsters in Toronto

But BC is indeed super full of stoners, and I hated spending time in Calgary due to 'Cowboy' style and behavior or so many of the people, reminds me of any/all stereotypes of Texans.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Jadak said:
Dead Century said:
True. Canada has plenty of stereotypes that we like to poke fun with. Albertans are cowboys, the BC coast is full of stoners, Newfoundlanders are friendly to the point of creepy, Toronto has hipsters, Saskatchewan is so flat that if your dog runs away you can see him in the fields for 3 days, etc.
Having been to most of those places, those are all approximately true.

Haven't actually been to Newfoundland, but worked with enough of them that it seems pretty accurate.
Well, they do have some basis in reality. There are licensed growers of medical marijuana on the BC coast. Just like how Alberta fosters cowboy culture through the Calgary Stampede.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
spartan231490 said:
Pretty much this, if any state is hated by Americans, it's Jersey. Having lived there, that hatred is deserved.
Have noticed the huge amount of New Jersey hate. Me and the fiancé have made a game of trying to find more pop-culture jabs at NJ than the other. It's a pretty easy game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Up here in Oregon, hatred of California used to be synonymous with hatred of tourists. Now 75% of the population is from California... [sub][sub]They're the ones who constantly complain about the rain.[/sub][/sub]

OysterEleven

Feb 17, 2014
No I don't hate them, but I definitely have an unfair stereotype of people from CA as thinking they're better than other people and being superficial. Only cos I've met a few Californians who are like that and that's kind of the image the state has, especially LA. But it's not a real dislike, it's just like any other state that gets stereotyped. Except for New Jersey. The hatred for NJ is real.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Kolby Jack said:
Dark Knifer said:
Kolby Jack said:
Californians are mostly pretty cool. A LOT of American cultural movements had their roots in California, so it'd be pretty stupid to hate them for trend-setting. That said, most people from LA suck. I think even Californians (who aren't from LA, and even then...) would agree with me there. LA is a shitty place, though that's true for most big cities in some way or another.
Well I could believe people would hate them for trend setting, even though it is stupid to hate for that.

I'v eheard that sentiment about LA a lot as well, why is it bad?
Traffic. Arrogance. Vapidness. Disconnected from the rest of the world. Gangs. Dirty Cops. A crappy airport that most flights route through. Smog.
Not to mention the urban sprawl design, poor public transport, and political corruption.

OT: Being from the Midwest I'm obligated to hate California for being a Starbucks drinking, Designer clothes wearing, surf loving, hippie stoner new age business men cesspit of bad liberalism and shit financial management...

Being a rational individual I gotta say it's pretty nice. The stereotypes above are stereotypes for a reason, and some of them are annoying, but California's alright XD

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
jpz719 said:
Kind of reminds me of the New Jersey sterotype that we have AWFUL roads. Sadly this stereotype is 100% accurate.
spartan231490 said:
Pretty much this, if any state is hated by Americans, it's Jersey. Having lived there, that hatred is deserved.
New Jersey: Land of perpetual roadwork, crooked politicians, six hundred school districts, Jersey hair, disgusting beaches, Atlantic City, and all of the attitude of New York City with none of the justification.

I couldn't get out of that state fast enough, and you couldn't pay me enough to go back.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
As a New Yorker, I'm obligated to hate the rest of New York's country, just like the rest of New York's country is obligated to hate the rest of New York's country's planet.
We're supposed to have a special hatred for New Jersey, Florida, Texas, and California though.