Is there a reason behind unskipable cinematics?

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
KaZZaP said:
Because some people spent weeks slaving over a computer to make that god damn scene and the least you could do is not skip over it just to get to the bloodshed faster.
This is essentially what I was going to say.

John Stalvern

Aug 28, 2008
I think it's mostly a Japan thing. After playing a couple Playstation 1-3 games made by Japanese developers I believe they are just inept at telling a story without shoving the player out of the way to do it.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
they exist because of people like my cousin ... the type that instinctively skips every cutscene, then bitches because he doesn't know the objective is or that the game doesn't make sense

no lie, i actually kneed him in the face when we were playing my MGS4 for the first time and he skipped the cutscene ... he hasn't skipped one around me ever since

i mean seriously people!!! if you don't like storyline in games then go buy mario or some shit

Ethereal.Frog

May 10, 2009
I think it should unskippable for the first time, then skippable beyond that. Listening to Riku talk about the shadows in my heart or something like that for 50th time gets boring after a while.

And unrelated,
SsilverR said:
no lie, i actually kneed him in the face when we were playing my MGS4 for the first time and he skipped the cutscene ...
I once accidentally kneed myself in the face.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
Ethereal.Frog said:
I think it should unskippable for the first time, then skippable beyond that. Listening to Riku talk about the shadows in my heart or something like that for 50th time gets boring after a while.

And unrelated,
SsilverR said:
no lie, i actually kneed him in the face when we were playing my MGS4 for the first time and he skipped the cutscene ...
I once accidentally kneed myself in the face.
maybe you were subconsciously punishing yourself for skipping the cutscene XD

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Basically, people who make movies generally get much more tail than people who make games, so game makers have slowly but surely decided they want as much tail as movie makers, and are trying to slowly turn there products into interactive movies.

Something along those lines.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Isn't this a way to cover up loading times?
I could imagine that they put the cutscenes there instead of loading screens, it would make sense to me.

koichan

Apr 7, 2009
I just finished star ocean 4 this week, i feel this has had the best response to cut scenes i've seen so far:

-cut scenes are skippable
-if skipped, it gives you a quick paragraph of text explaining what happened in the cut scene you just skipped (you can skip that bit as well)

Though i feel your pain, theres no excuse for games that have unskippable cutscenes just before a boss fight.
and also a mention for it's annoying cousin: tough boss fights nowhere close to a save point.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
sometimes it hides loading screens, other games want to make sure you see whatever content they've done at least once, and you can skip after one time through the scene.

Othertimes, it's unskippable to pad up the playtime... For instance, Metal Gear Solid games would be pretty thin if it weren't for the hours and hours of cut scenes in each game.. but even they allow you to skip.

NotAPie

Jan 19, 2009
Probably just so you don't miss the story, but they should make it skippable after you view it for the first time.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Shycte said:
No, but I guess it's there so we don't miss any story development
Very easy solution; add a skip function, but have a confirmation window. "Are you sure you want to skip this blah blah?" "YES"

Mass Effect also has several of these, and what's more annoying is that for some reason during the cutscenes, the game volume is about quadruple normal. I'll be spamming skip during the conversation leading up to the cutscene, and then all of a sudden it sounds like a Boeing 747 is in my living room because of my surround sound.