Is there any point in getting the Xbox One?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
hanselthecaretaker said:
SupahEwok said:
Its way cheaper to just get a blu-ray drive for your pc and a copy of PowerDvD to play discs, Bobby.

hanselthecaretaker said:
These ?what?s the point of Xbox? threads always make me wonder when Microsoft will actually start embracing PC gaming in a more meaningful way and ditch consoles. I mean, competition is good but Microsoft just keeps shooting themselves in the foot. They really need to recruit more ambitious creatives and restructure their corporate culture into something more consumers can appreciate.
I've been guessing a couple years now, ever since MS started integrating the Xbox One with Windows 10, that MS are looking to get out of the console game, and are trying to train their userbase into using PCs. If the rumors are true that the next generation of Xbox are going to be tiered at different hardware levels, you're basically looking at a branded line of PCs that you plug into the TV, just probably with a heavily gated OS making all the software proprietary.

I wonder if they?d have any better luck with that than Steam did with its...what were they called...?Steamboxes? Machines?? [https://www.pcgamer.com/what-happened-to-steam-machines/]
I never said I thought MS had good ideas.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I own an Xbox one. Mainly for the driving games, because Gran Turismo crossed the line with me in terms of microtransactions, and I shifted franchises. Anyway Forza is awesome (for the most part). For everything else, I main PC, but I did just get a PS4 for the exclusives when it had that great deal going on. Games I play on Xbox:
Forza Motorsport 6, 7
Forza Horizon 2, 3 (and soon 4)
Gears of War (like to split screen with my buddy)
Halo 5
Dead Rising 4 (haven't opened the box yet)

and that's pretty much it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Silentpony said:
Yoshi178 said:
Silentpony said:
Yoshi178 said:
it's a cheap way to play Conkers Bad Fur Day.
That's literally the only reason to get one.
at this point pretty much, my copy of Rare Replay is basically the only reason i haven't sold mine lol
I wish Rare Replay came out on Windows 10...
I watched an LP of Viva Pinata and damn I would love to play that game on my PC.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Well, if you want to play the same games as on your PC, but not have your PC in your room, that's a reason.

Other than that, same answer as anything else: backwards compatibility and exclusives.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
Do any of these sound tempting?

- Master Chief Collection
- Halo 5
- Halo Infinite (TBR)
- Halo Wars
- Gears of War 4
- Gears of War 5
- Forza Games
- Rare Replay

If you get an Xbox One X, you get the better versions of a lot of console games too - basically every game that is on both consoles the Xbox One version is better if you play it on the Xbox One X; better framerate, better graphics, better load times, more stable etc.

PS4 is for if you like fighting games (since AWS and Capcom decided to say "Fuck You" to Xbox this gen), Naughty Dog games (IE: Last of Us) or are really into Gran Turismo.

Xbox One is for shooters, RPGs and open-world games.
PS4 is mainly for Jrpgs, as there's a plethora of exclusive ones like persona 5 that can sell a system by themselves. Fighting games now more than ever are being released on pc, and while ps4 is the tourney standard, they're not as much of a system seller as are Jrpgs.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
You can get an original Xbox One for about ?150 these days, and the game pass is a pretty decent way to experience all of the exclusives without buying any of them outright - though they are all pretty meh. It is also pretty great with back compat with 360 games, if you have a decent library of those lying around, or you can pick them up on the cheap.

Any Xbox One games that you do end up buying through the store (post Halo 5), can also be played on Windows 10, should you ever get a gaming PC.

If that sounds worth it to you, then by all means.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't know what the price of a streaming box is these days, but unless you're really into backwards compatibility or need your Halo fix, I doubt the price difference is justified.

Apr 5, 2008
One advantage on the XBone X is that you get a 4K UltraHD blu ray player. Despite being the blu ray proprietor, Sony didn't include 4K with any of their consoles. So if you want 4K and a console for whatever garbage EA and Ubisoft are vomiting out on console these days, the XBoneX is for you.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
PS3? It's got a lot of good exclusives, and is probably pretty cheap these days. Plus free multiplayer.

Richard Kain

Aug 10, 2009
There's a lot less reason to get one if you already have a solid PC gaming rig. There's a fair amount of overlap for the titles that get released on each of those platforms. And for platform exclusives, the PS4 and Switch are honestly better platforms.

There is the backwards compatibility to consider. That is a factor that Microsoft has been doing a lot better on compared to their competition. The Xbox and Xbox 360 both had sizable libraries with a lot of good exclusives. At this point, a lot of those exclusives can now be played on the Xbox One with various modern benefits. (higher-resolution rendering, etc...) For anyone wanting to play some legacy Xbox games, an Xbox One S would be a relatively inexpensive way to get access to those catalogs.

But aside from that, there isn't much to recommend the current Xbox One platform. It's not a bad system, by any means. It's simply in the unenviable position of being stacked up against capable competition.